Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, February 25, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Certified Mail Alternatives?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JanineR
(Tennessee)

02/20/2021 3:48 PM  
I need to send a couple of certified mail letters to the property manager to request copies of missing records and financials that are not on the portal.
Emailing this request directly to the property manager and Board has not worked.

Would usps priority mail serve the same purpose if this ever ended up in court that I requested these documents?

I can print priority mail from my computer, but the 'green card' seems to be something that requires a post office visit, which is hard to schedule right now.

I appreciate any input.
SheilaJ1
(South Carolina)

02/20/2021 4:50 PM  
Been looking for the same thing, unfortunately always gotta make that trip to the post office. It’s a good idea to send it certified even though someone can refuse delivery.

Perhaps signature priority mail but I think that’s only with express. Others may have alternatives. But I don’t think priority would work.

Biggest cause of HOA lawsuits, in my opinion, is records requests. The biggest thing the attorney will never tell you is that even if you spend money to get the documents the HOA simply will say they were not accurate, they forgot something or blame records deficiency on management and the best one that they never voted on them, so be careful in what you ask for. The request should be broad as to not giveaway exactly what you’re looking for but detailed enough where state statute requires them to disclose certain documents like financials or audits. Then they can’t hide behind an excuse or blaming management. And remember the best reason to request is for your education as a member, since law does require a purpose for the request, in most states.

JanineR
(Tennessee)

02/20/2021 4:59 PM  
Great advise.

Thank you.

I'll be getting those boots on.
JanineR
(Tennessee)

02/20/2021 5:04 PM  
~advice
SheliaH
(Indiana)

02/20/2021 5:42 PM  
There are companies that provide online certified mail services, but they may cost more than the post office. Try googling certified mail online and see who comes up.

Or you'll just have to make the time to go to the post office if this is important to you. Or visit the property manager office yourself. be sure you SPECIFY what you want to see - just showing up and asking for mounds of paperwork will take a lot of time for everyone, including you. Making an appointment wouldn't hurt either.

JohnT38
(South Carolina)

02/20/2021 6:02 PM  
https://www.stamps.com/usps/certified-mail/

NpS
(Pennsylvania)

02/20/2021 6:06 PM  
Recommendation = If your Association is a Corporation, find out who the registered agent is, and send your notice there.

See https://sos.tn.gov/products/business-services/business-entity-filings-faqs

"What Is A Registered Agent?

A corporation transacting business in Tennessee is required to have a person or legal entity located in this State designated to receive documents on its behalf, and this function is served by the registered agent. The registered agent’s name and street address in Tennessee must be on file with the Division of Business Services at all times."

Sikubali jukumu. Read all posts at your own risk.
SheilaJ1
(South Carolina)

02/20/2021 6:24 PM  
Posted By NpS on 02/20/2021 6:06 PM
Recommendation = If your Association is a Corporation, find out who the registered agent is, and send your notice there.

See https://sos.tn.gov/products/business-services/business-entity-filings-faqs

"What Is A Registered Agent?

A corporation transacting business in Tennessee is required to have a person or legal entity located in this State designated to receive documents on its behalf, and this function is served by the registered agent. The registered agent’s name and street address in Tennessee must be on file with the Division of Business Services at all times."

This is fine but not as a first step, once a lawyer finds out then all they see is dollar signs.

Try management first, get what papers you can from management and then come back here and let us know how it goes.
BenA2
(Texas)

02/20/2021 6:47 PM  
I would say Priority Mail would be just as good since you can prove that it was signed for. The only caveat would be if you are sending something that is required to be sent "Certified Mail." For example, if we send a violation letter, the code specifies certified mail so we have no choice.
JanineR
(Tennessee)

02/20/2021 8:54 PM  
Does anyone have any experience with this USPS signature confirmation service?

Attachment: 1220542684671.pdf

JanineR
(Tennessee)

02/20/2021 8:57 PM  
The attachment got cut off, but it is the 5th on the proof of mailing and delivery info on the the USPS website here:

https://www.usps.com/ship/insurance-extra-services.htm
TimB4
(Virginia)

02/20/2021 9:10 PM  
I typically use the green card.
I also type in the certified number on the letter itself (if it has to go to court).

I did use a digital signature once from the post office.
I got an email when it was signed for:

Thank you for using USPS.com.

This is a post-only message. Please do not respond.

Tracking Number: ########

Service Type: First-Class Mail®

Thank you for requesting a Return Receipt (Electronic) letter on your shipment.

Your Return Receipt (Electronic) letter is included in a PDF file attached to this email. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader software to view the PDF file. Download Adobe Acrobat Reader for free by going to http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html.

If you have additional questions on USPS Tracking® services and features or if you have difficulties viewing the attached file, please visit the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section of our USPS Tracking® site at http://www.usps.com/shipping/uspstrackingfaqs.htm for more information.

Attachment: Return Receipt (Electronic) letter (PDF)
JanineR
(Tennessee)

02/21/2021 8:57 AM  
Green card it is.
I need some fresh air anyway.

That is a good idea to print the certified number in the letter.

I used the usps online service to have some Certified Mail cards sent to me, so I can get everything ready to go before making the trek.

Thanks!
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Certified Mail Alternatives?

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement