Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, March 05, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: HOA Video Recordings
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
SamJ6
(Wisconsin )

02/20/2021 2:50 PM  
I've requested HOA meeting video recordings that were on zoom from my HOA and they've sent them to me. There is nothing in the bylaws about recordings. In the state of Florida can I legally post some parts of the recordings online?
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

02/20/2021 2:54 PM  
Sam
My initial blush if you just posted selective parts, you could have some liability. I know if one of our owners did such, I would encourage the BOD to go after the owner especially when the selected, posted part is not not flattering.
MarkM19
(Texas)

02/20/2021 3:11 PM  
Sam,
The other thing to consider is when you are a member of an HOA it is a private group. If you share it with someone who is not a member it could cause problems for you.

What is your issue with the meeting? Not the full details just the overview or your reasons for going forward.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

02/20/2021 3:13 PM  
Posted By MarkM19 on 02/20/2021 3:11 PM
Sam,
The other thing to consider is when you are a member of an HOA it is a private group. If you share it with someone who is not a member it could cause problems for you.

What is your issue with the meeting? Not the full details just the overview or your reasons for going forward.

Read his other post. He is claiming selective enforcement. He is looking to show the BOD in a bad light.
SamJ6
(Wisconsin )

02/20/2021 3:17 PM  
I wanna upload a video of the board members admitting in one of their meetings that they only send letters to houses that are "outrageous" but they don't take any action against anyone else for the same violations. Then I wanna upload a part that a few months later they're only targeting my house.
MarkM19
(Texas)

02/20/2021 3:27 PM  
John,
Thanks I read that post as well but did not connect the dots.

Sam,
I would start by putting the information together and sending it to the board ONLY. If they are in fact making these type of statements they need to be aware that you may use them against them at some point if they do not back off on the selective enforcement. The biggest problem with proving Selective Enforcement as a single Homeowners you have no idea what is being done with other Homeowners. They are not permitted to share that information with others besides the board and MC. If you try and sue them and force them to prove it and they can you will lose the case and the money spent.
TimB4
(Virginia)

02/20/2021 3:43 PM  
Sam,

If the board isn't listening, then selective enforcement is an issue for the courts.

I would not post any of the video online.
This may cause you more grief then warranted and drive potential allies away from you.

My opinion:

1) If you are in violation, get into compliance.
You have a better argument for others if you are not in violation.

2) Try working with the board when possible.

3) If need be, gather support and get yourself elected to the board to be part of the decision process.
ChrisE8

02/20/2021 3:47 PM  
Posted By SamJ6 on 02/20/2021 2:50 PM
I've requested HOA meeting video recordings that were on zoom from my HOA and they've sent them to me. There is nothing in the bylaws about recordings. In the state of Florida can I legally post some parts of the recordings online?

Even if it’s legal, just how do you think that the board would feel if you posted parts online? Could the board ever trust you again? If you made it clear that you made no promises to keep the videos confidential then I guess it’s OK, though.
SamJ6
(Wisconsin )

02/20/2021 3:52 PM  
I have all their meetings recorded for the full year of 2020. They did not mention or send violations to any houses but me for the whole year. They did say those exact words when they were having a discussion with each other during one of the meeting.
SamJ6
(Wisconsin )

02/20/2021 3:57 PM  
I could care less how they feel. They are a bunch of crooks. The president has been there for over 12 years now. We never had any election due to a lack of resident participation. I wanted to create a video, post it online, and send it to all the homeowners. I wanted to also promote the video hoping it will generate plenty of views and maybe local news channels will pick up on it as well.

I never made any promises to keep the video confidential. I just asked for the recordings and they've sent them to me.
KellyM3
(North Carolina)

02/20/2021 4:05 PM  
Posted By SamJ6 on 02/20/2021 2:50 PM

I cannot recommend posting selective clips on the internet of an HOA meeting. There is nothing but headache for you for doing so, especially when the HOA board had been responsive to your request for video copies. You will not influence HOA policy and will only engender a reluctance to remain transparent. As a private organization, dues payers are entitled to very little in terms of document demands.
SamJ6
(Wisconsin )

02/20/2021 4:06 PM  
The board members themselves are violating boat bylaws, storage, and AC compressors bylaws. They have the audacity to target the house that they think is "outrageous." They are hypocrites.
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

02/20/2021 5:58 PM  
Posted By SamJ6 on 02/20/2021 3:57 PM
I could care less how they feel. They are a bunch of crooks. The president has been there for over 12 years now. We never had any election due to a lack of resident participation. I wanted to create a video, post it online, and send it to all the homeowners. I wanted to also promote the video hoping it will generate plenty of views and maybe local news channels will pick up on it as well.

I never made any promises to keep the video confidential. I just asked for the recordings and they've sent them to me.

You've never had an election for 12 years because the owners don't care enough to get involved. Knowing this, why would they care even if they saw your one sided selectively edited video clip? What exactly do you think you'll accomplish by doing this?
SheliaH
(Indiana)

02/20/2021 5:59 PM  
And you're getting really angry over a hedge. You should remember what Michael Corleone said to Vincent in godfather 3 - never get angry at your enemies; it affects your judgement. You may be right about selective enforcement, but you won't make your case, let alone win, if you resort to things like cutting and pasting videos then posting them online to embarrass people.

If you want to win your dispute with the board, focus on getting verifiable evidence you can present in court so you can win, and stop with the name calling. Time advice is something you should take seriously - try some of those approaches first.
SamJ6
(Wisconsin )

02/20/2021 6:06 PM  
Well since they're going after boundary lines, I wanna make sure they go after all boundary lines in the entire community. This means the majority of the neighborhood will be affected by their decision and that would turn all the homeowners against them. Yes, homeowners might think I'm the one that caused all this but I do believe there must be chaos for the homeowners to act and start caring. Because no one cares what the HOA is doing as long as they're not going after them so I wanna change that.
SamJ6
(Wisconsin )

02/20/2021 6:16 PM  
The video is what I'm planning to do when they start going after everybody so people can see their hypocrisy.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > HOA Video Recordings

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement