Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, February 25, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: a few hoa questions please help
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
ArturoE
(Arizona)

02/20/2021 2:08 AM  
I am looking to buy a condo and I am in the process of closing on a place. I looked through the CCRs on the condo and the way its worded is kind of intense saying I need permission to "alter, modify, make additions to or rebuild his/her apartment". It also says I need permission from board to be able to have more than one person living in home. I can not have roomate? Please help I am confused to all this.

What does single-family mean? In the and do I have to add my roommate for him to stay in my home.

Altercations to the condo, do I have to ask to take out carpet, change fans, remodel bathrooms, change out the front doorknob and put a smart lock, add a new smart thermostat, change out the chandelier to a modern one, or alter the patio closet.

What does it mean when it says proposing to alter, modify, make additions to or rebuild his/her apartment in any manner must first obtain written consent of the board.

"Section 1.23 "single-family" refers to one person or a group of two or more persons related to each other by blood, marriage or legal adoption; or persons who are not related and who have obtained permission in writing from the board to maintain a common household in an apartment"

"Section 8.6. Alterations to apartments: In addition to meeting the other requirements of these restrictions and of any building code or similar requirements or ordinances, any owner proposing to alter, modify, make additions to or rebuild his/her apartment in any manner must first obtain the written consent of the board. This restriction applies to alternations of any kind to the electrical wiring within a apartment, as well as any alteration of addition which will affect the exterior of an apartment, including refinishing of entrance door."

Seems harsh to me. Thoughts? sorry for the overload of info in advance
TimB4
(Virginia)

02/20/2021 3:05 AM  
You answered your own questions regarding definitions of single family and alterations with your citations.
That is what they mean.

If it seems harsh, don't buy.

Once you purchase, you are agreeing to comply with those governing documents.
Some Associations are lax in enforcement and some are very strict in enforcing the governing documents.

Again, if you don't like the rules - don't buy.

JohnC46
(South Carolina)

02/20/2021 11:22 AM  
Art

Not to defend but in general:

1.23 is to prevent one from running a rental/boarding house type operation.

8.6 is to prevent an alteration that could damage the structural integrity of the building like remove a load bearing wall and the unit above collapses into yours. Change plumbing and causing a common drain pipe to back up.
ClareL
(California)

02/20/2021 9:48 PM  
First, I commend you for reading the CC&R’s before finalizing the deal. Most HOA purchasers do not do this.

You are correct in your statements. And if you feel uncomfortable with them DO NOT PURCHASE.

You are basically giving up your homeowner rights to the board members and how they interpret these CC&R’s

If the homeowner and board disagree in the interpretation...only way to resolve is in court.

If you are in love with the place, my suggestion is to email the HOA office for interpretation of the CC&R’s in writing. If they don’t want to do that, pass on the property.
FloridaC1
(Florida)

02/21/2021 4:26 AM  
In agreement with the previous responses; once you buy into a condominium or homeowners association you agree to the "use restrictions" by signing on the dotted line. Many Associations do not want to spend the money to update documents to reflect present day uses. But certainly, there are many who have younger boards who understand the changing times and real need to update. Realtors do not nor are they required to explain documents due to the legal nature of the Association documents. I manage a portfolio of condos and HOAs whose owners have no idea what they've bought into until they receive violations, i.d. no ARC submitted for exterior changes (HOA), no ARC submitted for interior changes (think condo flooring), overnight parking, change of landscape, windows, doors, you name it. Watch the GEICO HOA commercial on youtube; it's not far off.
ArturoE
(Arizona)

02/22/2021 10:12 AM  
Thank you for the advice! I am going to get ahold of the HOA today and ask for specifics on what is allowed and not allowed before finalizing.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

02/22/2021 11:43 AM  
Posted By ArturoE on 02/22/2021 10:12 AM
Thank you for the advice! I am going to get ahold of the HOA today and ask for specifics on what is allowed and not allowed before finalizing.

Get it in writing. Things can change. Also do not be surprised if they will not directly answer your questions as they are theoretical until you buy and ask for and go through their process for approval. Also two of your desires, remodel bathroom and remodel patio closet, are to general in nature to approve or disapprove without specific detail/plans.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > a few hoa questions please help

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement