Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, February 25, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Do you enjoy being on the board?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
GregM14
(South Carolina)

02/18/2021 11:12 AM  
I've been on the HOA board for my HOA for just over 15 months or so. In general, it's been a lot of fun. I've had a chance to work with a lot of vendors, meet a lot of people, and get to know our community better. Most importantly, by being on the board, I've been able to help make our community look sharper and help our association be run better. I've volunteered for a number of other clubs and organizations before, but I have to say, the HOA has been my favorite so far simply because of the visible impact I've been able to have on the community.

Have you enjoyed your time on the board?
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

02/18/2021 12:13 PM  
I am and have been on the BOD for several elections. I do it for self preservation so some other a$$hole does not get elected.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

02/18/2021 1:33 PM  
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."

Much of it was rewarding and satisfying. Some of it was downright painful. I appreciate the knowledge and skills I gained,and I appreciate the thick skin I now have. On the other hand, I got to see aspects of my neighbors that I would not have seen otherwise, and some of it was not pretty.

Most frustrating aspect: watching much of my hard work being undone after I stepped down.

On the other hand, where else can you deal with stuff like this? https://www.journal-news.com/news/pet-pig-named-arnold-ziffel-at-center-of-dueling-springboro-lawsuits/VNOBAHE4ONBU7MDQZD3RRX57XA/

Not my association, fortunately. And some of you guys think chickens are bad. :-)
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

02/18/2021 1:50 PM  
Many people used to tell me "Being President of a HOA is a Ungrateful job". I responded "It is a grateful job because I have it". It is all in the perspective you take it.

My situation involved getting rid of a scumbag President and straightening out the HOA. Which I did. Of course that all being undone after I left as well. However, my philosophy is "There is always a bigger fish and I got more to fry..." Feed your fish so one day the bigger fish can fry...

Former HOA President
MarkM19
(Texas)

02/18/2021 2:53 PM  
Greg,
When I talk to fellow board members and people I am looking to recruit I often compare it to riding a Roller Coaster. It has some very exciting things as you have mentioned like seeing projects get completed and make cost saving decisions that make the communities financial stability better. The down side of the ride is when people that know very very little about the HOA they moved into and have never read the CC&Rs and no idea what the board does and doesn't do yet goes on Social Media and talk about how they HATE the HOA. These people drive me crazy and that is why I do not have a FB account. I used to peak at my wife's account on occasion and it is just a place were dumb people go to vent. As someone who has been on boards for HOAs for 11 years my research has come to the conclusion that almost to a person when someone starts a thread on FB they have recently received a violation letter or a late fee for not paying their dues. They go on that or other sites and tell half the story and others who are in a similar situation add on and it makes everyone think the HOA is bad. A person who has been involved with HOAs or is a rule abiding person would understand that saying you hate the HOA is a bad phrase. You can hate the Property Manager, you can hate the HOA rules or you can hate the board members that are volunteering. If anyone says they hate the HOA they do not realize they are the HOA just like everyone else.

It would be so telling to expose these people when they make those post with the actual violation pictures showing them not following the rules or paying their dues but we all know that our elected positions do not allow for the truth to be spoken. This part of the Roller Coaster and is the worst part.

JohnC46
(South Carolina)

02/18/2021 3:18 PM  
To amplify.

I was on the Declarant appointed advisory BOD. I was pro-declarant and was known for being such. He was a fair and honest fellow and we had an smooth transition with the exceptions of a few not bright ankle biters. In the first owner BOD election, several owners (ankle biters) mounted a campaign to remove pro-declarant BOD Members. I finished 6th in the voting for 5 BOD positions so I was no longer on the BOD. In a turnover meeting with the incoming BOD, the Declarant and I both warned them that our reserves were inadequately low and most certainly would require a dues increase.

Within the next 6 months year, 2 of the 5 BOD Members turned over. One of the survivors became President and she was scared of her own shadow as was one other They ran the HOA with only 3 BOD Members for about 6 months. At the next Annual Meeting, I was nominated to be on the BOD and encouraged by enough owners I knew I would be a shoo-in. I admit I was pissed at not being elected the prior so I declined the nomination and when asked why, I replied I do not believe I could work with some of the existing BOD Members. We have different goals. When questioned, I replied that I did not want to get personal and I had said enough.

During the next year I was approached by 2 of the newer BOD Members that had began to realize that our Reserves were not enough and the present BOD refused to address it. I showed them the numbers. They said the Pres and one of the other scared people were not going to run. Would I consider running. I said if they do not, I will. Well I was elected along with 3 others.

It took us almost 2 years to establish a 40% dues increase sufficient to meet out needs. Reason it took so long was identifying the amount needed, selling owners on the need (meetings, mailings, spreadsheets, etc.), and when we could do such (only once a year).

I have since been elected to another term (on the BOD now 4 years of its 6 year existence). The Pres and I (VP and Treasurer) basically run the place with the help of an MC. We have two do nothing (but they go along with us) BOD Members and one open position. The Pres and I recently chatted and said we would consider not running again if we felt that good/bright/qualified/non-a$$hole people would run we would not run again. That said, as we have had to go begging for BOD Members and all 5 positions will be open (another story why), we both believe we will each run again.

AnnaJ1
(Maryland)

02/18/2021 3:53 PM  
Posted By MarkM19 on 02/18/2021 2:53 PM
Greg,
When I talk to fellow board members and people I am looking to recruit I often compare it to riding a Roller Coaster. It has some very exciting things as you have mentioned like seeing projects get completed and make cost saving decisions that make the communities financial stability better. The down side of the ride is when people that know very very little about the HOA they moved into and have never read the CC&Rs and no idea what the board does and doesn't do yet goes on Social Media and talk about how they HATE the HOA. These people drive me crazy and that is why I do not have a FB account. I used to peak at my wife's account on occasion and it is just a place were dumb people go to vent. As someone who has been on boards for HOAs for 11 years my research has come to the conclusion that almost to a person when someone starts a thread on FB they have recently received a violation letter or a late fee for not paying their dues. They go on that or other sites and tell half the story and others who are in a similar situation add on and it makes everyone think the HOA is bad. A person who has been involved with HOAs or is a rule abiding person would understand that saying you hate the HOA is a bad phrase. You can hate the Property Manager, you can hate the HOA rules or you can hate the board members that are volunteering. If anyone says they hate the HOA they do not realize they are the HOA just like everyone else.

It would be so telling to expose these people when they make those post with the actual violation pictures showing them not following the rules or paying their dues but we all know that our elected positions do not allow for the truth to be spoken. This part of the Roller Coaster and is the worst part.

YES!!! I find that 99.9999% of dissenters have their own bone to pick with the board, and have a completely mischaracterized perception of what the board does. YES!
SheliaH
(Indiana)

02/18/2021 4:06 PM  
What Cathy said!!!!!

NpS
(Pennsylvania)

02/19/2021 7:17 AM  
Thanks for amplification John. I like how your story is laid out over a span of time.

Never on stable footing. Always hoping for the best.

Sikubali jukumu. Read all posts at your own risk.
ChrisE8

02/19/2021 9:53 AM  
I've helped out a board, and I was glad to do so. The board members were well-meaning, good-intentioned people who simply were looking for someone else with skills that were needed. I'm happy to have helped. The board members simply wanted the HOA to be well-run for the enjoyment of all owners.
BenA2
(Texas)

02/19/2021 12:41 PM  
No. I've been on the board for seven years and I would never use "enjoy" to describe it. It has not been a bad experience overall. I have only remained on the board because it is so hard to find anyone else that will do it.
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

02/19/2021 5:06 PM  
I enjoy being off the board.

I am now an Officer but not a Board member. We made up a non-typical Officer title for me (not Pres, VP, Treas, or Sec). That gets me covered under D&O insurance.

I don't vote. I don't decide. I don't take the hits for everything that people don't appreciate about living in an HOA. Kinda nice.

As an officer, I am a fiduciary. I sit in on all Board meetings, including executive sessions.

We have a 5 member Board. So now I have to influence 3 people instead of just 2 when I was a Board member if there's something I feel strongly about.

Yeah. I really enjoy being off the board. Don't think I'll ever go back.

Sikubali jukumu. Read all posts at your own risk.
MiaR1
(Illinois)

02/20/2021 9:51 PM  
Not at all! But, it is rewarding to see your efforts having made positive changes. It is a very thankless job in general and not every board member gets involved equally so some take on more stress than others and end up sacrificing more personal and family time while serving on the Board. Furthermore, I guess the answer to your question depends on your association and the type of people you work with. In my case, it’s been a curse because we have been a self managed condo association for over 15 years(not by owners choice but by the choice of our past Board President and Treasurer who wanted to stay in control). Both finally resigned in 2019, and I took over as the Board President and found out what a great mess I had taken over, not just financially(they were stealing for years but apathetic owners self managed condo=dangerous and disasterous combination), but, other people who were on the Board with me were neither interested in doing any board work, nor had any knowledge nor interest to learn about our CC&R. But in my position, I learned and continued to learn while serving so that I can steer our association in the right direction, finally! Like a fool, I did Tresurer and Secretary’s duties including my own, when there was a Treasurer and Secretary( who had served with prior President and Treasuer) didn’t want to help out while being on the Board with me.

While some of our owners became supportive of me and my efforts, others(who benefited from prior Pres and Treasurer’s no question asked attitude and using our Association money to upgrade their apartments) still continued to carry a well lit torch for these two. In short 17 months as Board President, I increased the value in our Association(cost cutting, contract negotiations, increasing reserves) by $100k just with my own efforts alone because I didn’t have the support of my board members, as stated above. So here was my outcome when came election time last November:

1. One Board Member At Large, who didn’t get along with me because I didn’t want to go along his wish for fixing his apartment using association money(no fault of the Association requiring fulfilling of such demand), threatened me verbally the night before our annual meeting, that, if he wants to he can get rid of me with the snap of his fingers and there is nothing I can do about it. He berated me for about 45 minutes with some other nonsense, then he just left.

2. On the night of annual meeting, this BM at Large, Bd Secretary, Tresurer and a newly appointed BM at large, took the help of previous Board Treasurer who showed up with proxies in favor of the one who harassed me the night before and the Treasurer(both were up for re-election).

And booted me out with the help of owners who still follow every word of the previous Treasurer.

There’s a lot more to this story which is moot to share here, but, I wanted to get the point across that while I felt the high of doing something good for our condo association after 15 years of “darkness”, with some owners banding together for the status quo, in seconds, I was removed like a fly in the milk. And as CathyA3 and Melissa shared that their good efforts were undone, well, in my situation that’s happening too, but even worse, because the association has reverted back to status quo- nothing getting done, no violations being addressed, no improvements being done, heck no snow being removed. So kudos to who get to enjoy being on the Board because you might have a much better function Association.

MichelleG7
(Connecticut)

02/20/2021 10:05 PM  
NO! I am on the board not for my own satisfaction. I came on to clean up the mess that many years of people being on the board not giving a care about anything. And Leaving all than needed to be done in the hands of management who only new to take the easiest way to fix things and not look out after our financial well being. NO.. IT is a thank less job and there is no pay involved.
MichelleG7
(Connecticut)

02/20/2021 10:25 PM  
I am in the same boat you were in. Only difference I do have a lot of members backing me and there are some haters who berate and find ways of comming after me while they look like fools doing it. There was a special election to replace me surprise to all the haters I had a lot backing me. They noticed all the work I was doing. meaning even me out there doing some of the work while we only had 3000.00 in our reserves. now it is 5.5 years into being on the board and we have close to 100000 in our account. I ended up staying on the board. I do keep saying if I do not make it next election I will give them one month to ask me to come back. If they dont Im done. If Im off what will follow,,, deft one board member will resign(we have 3) ... management will leave and my contractors will not stay around, and probably our lawyer will go too. . All I have set up will come crumbling down with me leaving because of the haters. If I could get one thing for all people to understand in an association. Until you walk the shoes of the board members keep your personal issues aside and actual see how much free time and work it is to run a BOD for an association. Cause when you strike at board members. you might wish you never have..

I will say one positive thing. I have learned a lot.. Have taught a lot to many people in my path and with all Ive been through I will never say I wasted my time. But I do wish I did not come back on the board and just sold and walked away. Now Im stuck here for a bit. I will continue to be President,cause noone wants to be. Treasurer. Cause no one has the finance mind to be. And oh yeh Secretary. Cause in 24 years there were only 5 months of minutes done and noone wants to be secratary.so I barter with the ones coming on and tell them I will do the minutes you take notes at the meeting. Then I can get a body on the board. .

so yes I hear ya.. Let me ask do you feel free of it all? Truly like AHHHHHH The day I can just walk in my condo and not look back not be bothered by anyone and just feel free. I use to feel free..
MichelleG7
(Connecticut)

02/20/2021 10:27 PM  

I am in the same boat you were in. Only difference I do have a lot of members backing me and there are some haters who berate and find ways of comming after me while they look like fools doing it. There was a special election to replace me surprise to all the haters I had a lot backing me. They noticed all the work I was doing. meaning even me out there doing some of the work while we only had 3000.00 in our reserves. now it is 5.5 years into being on the board and we have close to 100000 in our account. I ended up staying on the board. I do keep saying if I do not make it next election I will give them one month to ask me to come back. If they dont Im done. If Im off what will follow,,, deft one board member will resign(we have 3) ... management will leave and my contractors will not stay around, and probably our lawyer will go too. . All I have set up will come crumbling down with me leaving because of the haters. If I could get one thing for all people to understand in an association. Until you walk the shoes of the board members keep your personal issues aside and actual see how much free time and work it is to run a BOD for an association. Cause when you strike at board members. you might wish you never have..

I will say one positive thing. I have learned a lot.. Have taught a lot to many people in my path and with all Ive been through I will never say I wasted my time. But I do wish I did not come back on the board and just sold and walked away. Now Im stuck here for a bit. I will continue to be President,cause noone wants to be. Treasurer. Cause no one has the finance mind to be. And oh yeh Secretary. Cause in 24 years there were only 5 months of minutes done and noone wants to be secratary.so I barter with the ones coming on and tell them I will do the minutes you take notes at the meeting. Then I can get a body on the board. .

so yes I hear ya.. Let me ask do you feel free of it all? Truly like AHHHHHH The day I can just walk in my condo and not look back not be bothered by anyone and just feel free. I use to feel free..
MichelleG7
(Connecticut)

02/20/2021 10:34 PM  
OMG for reelzz a pig. Interesting reading.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Do you enjoy being on the board?

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement