Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, February 25, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Limitations of Rules and Regulations
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JanineR
(Tennessee)

02/18/2021 9:42 AM  
The BOD and management company added a rule that conflicts with the Master Deed. Can they do that?
(condos)

---------------------------
Our Master Deed says this:
“Except as reserved herein by Developer, there shall be no alteration or further improvement of the Common Elements without prior approval in writing by the owners of not less than sixty-seven percent (67%) of the total allocated vote of the Association, except as provided by the Bylaws, and any such alteration or improvement, if undertaken, shall not interfere with the rights of any mortgagee or Unit Owner. The shares of any cost of such alteration or improvement shall be assessed to the Unit Owners in accordance with their interest in the Common Elements. There shall be no change in the shares and rights of a Unit Owner in the Common Elements that are altered or further improved.”

Our Bylaws say this
“To provide for the maintenance, repair and replacement of the Common Elements and Limited Common Elements as required by the Master Deed, to make payments therefore, and to approve payment vouchers or to delegate such approval to the Managing Agent;”

Then the BOD added this into the Rules and Regulations
“COMMON ELEMENT LANDSCAPING/DECORATING The Board makes all decisions and directs all projects pertaining to common elements. Residents are encouraged to volunteer for Board-approved projects.”
--------------------------

Thanks in advance
AugustinD

02/18/2021 9:52 AM  
As long as the Board does not, without a membership vote, alter or further improve the common elements, then the rule seems lawful to me.

I grant that the rule makes it sound like the board is aiming to violate the Master Deed. But until it does so, perhaps all the Board needs is a reminder of what the Master Deed says.
JanineR
(Tennessee)

02/18/2021 10:15 AM  
The Board have been altering and/or improving the common areas without a vote.

We have very little funds for common area improvements because of previous loans.

I see in the annual budget for this year that our funds are going to be used on something many members couldn't care less about, but are interested in other ways to use those funds in the common areas.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

02/18/2021 10:30 AM  
Posted By AugustinD on 02/18/2021 9:52 AM
As long as the Board does not, without a membership vote, alter or further improve the common elements, then the rule seems lawful to me.

I grant that the rule makes it sound like the board is aiming to violate the Master Deed. But until it does so, perhaps all the Board needs is a reminder of what the Master Deed says.

I agree.
JanineR
(Tennessee)

02/18/2021 10:44 AM  
So can they do new projects on the common areas without a vote from the members?
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

02/18/2021 10:48 AM  
Janine

New projects have to be defined. As an example, modifying something (even if extra cost) to prevent something could be acceptable and when look at could be considered an improvement.

Need specifics versus just throwing mud agaanst the wall to see how much sticks as many poster do.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

02/18/2021 10:54 AM  
Usually when they talk about Alterations or Improvements, they're talking about capital improvements or changes. These are generally the sorts of things for which you have to set aside reserve funds each year to maintain. They change the nature of the community in some way.

This would include things like putting up a decorative brick wall at the community entrance or a pond with fountain - or removing such things if they're already there. Or if some part of the common areas were undeveloped and the board decided that this land should be developed with walking paths and the like. Or creating a play area. These things need a vote by the membership.

They're not talking about planting flowers each year, or even changing the kinds of plants you have since things like this will probably be paid for out of operating funds.

I agree with the others that the wording of the new rule sounds OK.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

02/18/2021 10:55 AM  
Posted By JanineR on 02/18/2021 10:44 AM
So can they do new projects on the common areas without a vote from the members?

Depends on the nature of the project. See my previous post for examples.
JanineR
(Tennessee)

02/18/2021 11:25 AM  
Not throwing mud, just asking questions.
The Master Deed says "no alteration or further improvement of the Common Elements"... without a 67% vote from members.

So if a brick wall is planned this year that didn't exist before (which is one of the things) then shouldn't it be a vote?
I would probably vote for it.

If the parking lot is going to be repaved and repainted, shouldn't that be a vote.
I would probably vote against as we need the funds elsewhere.

Shouldn't these alternations and improvements of the common elements be put to a vote according to the wording of the Master Deed?
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

02/18/2021 12:09 PM  
Posted By JanineR on 02/18/2021 11:25 AM
Not throwing mud, just asking questions.
The Master Deed says "no alteration or further improvement of the Common Elements"... without a 67% vote from members.

So if a brick wall is planned this year that didn't exist before (which is one of the things) then shouldn't it be a vote?
I would probably vote for it.

If the parking lot is going to be repaved and repainted, shouldn't that be a vote.
I would probably vote against as we need the funds elsewhere.

Shouldn't these alternations and improvements of the common elements be put to a vote according to the wording of the Master Deed?

Based on what you say.

1. If the brick wall is new it would be considered a Capital Improvement and need owner approval.

2. Parking lot repaving and repainting is not new thus not an improvement. They should be paid for out of the Reserves thus not needing owner approval.

Do you not know the differences?
JanineR
(Tennessee)

02/18/2021 12:26 PM  
Yes I do.
JanineR
(Tennessee)

02/18/2021 12:51 PM  
Another example is a very expensive railing was put around part of our common areas where non existed before.
But there was no member vote on that.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

02/18/2021 1:29 PM  
Jan

Per chance were these improvements planned on and funded via a Capital Improvements Budget?
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Limitations of Rules and Regulations

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement