Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, March 05, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Making all HOA policies available to members
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
DB8
(Washington)

02/16/2021 12:24 PM  
Hi,

I wanted to get some input on a situation in my HOA.... we have a private resident section on our website (password controlled) and we post certain things there (board minutes, and a FEW policies). I have been advocating that all of our policies should be posted there, just like the CC&Rs, and got a lot of pushback, being told that certain policies are not relevant to the residents (they gave our staff credit card policy as an example).

I care about this because (1) we've gone from an era with a bad administrator who really obstructed things - she's gone now but left me realizing we need to emphasize transparency, and (2) there have been multiple times that our own board members were not familiar with our own CC&Rs and policies, which caused a lot of conflict (in one case, for example, about our pool rules), and (3) I can't imagine a policy that would cause risk or harm to the community if a member were allowed to see it. The credit card policy needing to stay private, for example, makes no sense to me. I'm hoping that by the time people are interested in running for the board they've had a chance to review and understand our community's policies-- which is hard to do it we won't make them available.

So part of me feels like pushing this, like it's really not their right to withhold the community's policies from the members. But I want some input first.

Thank you.
BenA2
(Texas)

02/16/2021 1:08 PM  
I agree with you. Suggesting that any HOA policy is not relevant to members is ridiculous. The members are the HOA. Except where privacy and security concerns exist, everything should be available to the membership.
TimB4
(Virginia)

02/16/2021 2:44 PM  
I support all policies being published to the membership.

It's common sense (to me).
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

02/16/2021 3:02 PM  
As a general rule, I support everything said so far.

Here's an undisclosed policy that my HOA put in place during this COVID year: We suspended all late fees assessments.

- It only affects a few homeowners.
- We never budget for late fee income.
- The Board is reluctant to publish.

What would you say to them?

Sikubali jukumu. Read all posts at your own risk.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

02/16/2021 3:05 PM  
Posted By NpS on 02/16/2021 3:02 PM

Here's an undisclosed policy that my HOA put in place during this COVID year: We suspended all late fees assessments.

I would never waive the fees. Now I am not saying go all legal to collect. I am not saying do not waive on a one to one basis. I am saying they could be a cudgel to be wielded.
AugustinD

02/16/2021 3:06 PM  
Posted By NpS on 02/16/2021 3:02 PM

If I were limited to a one word response to this board, it would be: Bravo.
SheilaJ1
(South Carolina)

02/17/2021 6:50 AM  
Policies change too often, perhaps that is the reason for not posting or perhaps they know they don’t follow the policy because as we all know policies are not worth anything and are not required as a part of the governing documents or required to be followed.

Especially those polices like ethics and responsibility, total nonsense.

MichaelS56
(Minnesota)

02/17/2021 6:52 AM  
Our Association has all of our Governing documents available 24/7 on our website. This also includes our Maintenance Service policy, our Presentative Maintenance policy and our Rules and Regulations. Our Governing documents are availalbe for the public to review.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Making all HOA policies available to members

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement