Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, March 05, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Past HOA stilling money from HOA bank.
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
AnyaR
(Georgia)

02/14/2021 8:55 AM  
I have posted in the past that we had one person running the HOA. That one person refusing to give me any recent five-year records since I got on the board. That same one person broke a lot of laws and on top of that did not paid HOA Dues. There’s a lot of money missing from HOA accounts with no explanation, none of the financials makes sense. What do I do? Who do I report it to? Who’s do I hire to investigate? Is it worth it to go after previous board member and spend HOA money?
ChrisE8

02/14/2021 9:25 AM  
I would get copies of bank statements and checks from the bank.

The HOA can certainly go after the person for misappropriation of funds, if payments were not approved by the board.

I would also turn this over to law enforcement, but you'll need to have clear evidence of theft for the police to do anything.
AugustinD

02/14/2021 9:44 AM  
AnyaR, at this point, I think your best course of action by far would be to talk to a competent HOA/condo attorney.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

02/14/2021 9:56 AM  
There may/will probably be a problem with the bank. They are sticklers about giving about business records to anyone who isn't listed on the accounts as an officier, and I'm taking it as given that Anya's name is not on the accounts.

The usual advice for dealing with former directors or officers who won't turn over association records is to have the HOA attorney write a letter giving the stubborn person a deadline for complying, to be followed by whatever legal options that are available to the HOA.

At this point, with missing records there probably isn't enough to prove wrongdoing, only suspicions. So get the records. The next step should be an audit by someone who understands financial records, and deciding on further steps depending on what the audit reveals.

I don't think you're ready to call the cops yet. Remember that the burden of proof is on the accuser, and someone who is falsely accused can also take legal action against the accuser. So be sure you're on solid ground, which means facts, not suspicions.

ChrisE8

02/14/2021 9:58 AM  
Posted By CathyA3 on 02/14/2021 9:56 AM
There may/will probably be a problem with the bank. They are sticklers about giving about business records to anyone who isn't listed on the accounts as an officier, and I'm taking it as given that Anya's name is not on the accounts.

The usual advice for dealing with former directors or officers who won't turn over association records is to have the HOA attorney write a letter giving the stubborn person a deadline for complying, to be followed by whatever legal options that are available to the HOA.

At this point, with missing records there probably isn't enough to prove wrongdoing, only suspicions. So get the records. The next step should be an audit by someone who understands financial records, and deciding on further steps depending on what the audit reveals.

I don't think you're ready to call the cops yet. Remember that the burden of proof is on the accuser, and someone who is falsely accused can also take legal action against the accuser. So be sure you're on solid ground, which means facts, not suspicions.

Good point-that's good advice.

Perhaps the board can now pass a resolution showing who the board members and officers are---and remove the other person as an authorized signatory.
SueW6
(Michigan)

02/14/2021 12:50 PM  
Bring the minutes of the meeting showing that you were elected and have authority over the financials to the bank.

Ask for the bank statements from the last year and compare to the ledger this person used ( electronically or hand written)

Back up receipts should be shown for reimbursement checks. The minutes should authorize payments of large amounts, or vendor contracts.

You’ve made some serious allegations. From this info you should be able to prove your case.
LetA
(Nevada)

02/14/2021 2:17 PM  
Are you a self run HOA or do you have a property manager? Regardless, ALL Directors, The PM need to go to the bank and remove anyone who is not authorized from all accounts and signature cards IMMEDIATELY.
CindyH6
(Florida)

02/20/2021 7:21 PM  
Stilling? Or stealing? 🙄
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Past HOA stilling money from HOA bank.

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement