Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, March 05, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: kids
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
MichelleG7
(Connecticut)

02/13/2021 7:42 PM  
We have a adult who will not watch her kid.. And thinks the neighbor in an apartment can watch her kid in our common area. But watches the kid while at the apartment house. I know HUD protects kids. What can we do about a kid who lives in our condos having the neighbors kids come over. and they are running around our very small grass area unsupervised. kids are 11 and under. What have your condo rules been for this situation. Remember I stated I know kids have protection under HUD. Somehow they should be supervised. Im at my wits end. ITs tough being on a board and herring it from all ends.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

02/13/2021 7:51 PM  
Just put rakes in the yard and watch the fun... Really what do you care? It's someone else's kid and responsibility. NOT the HOA's.

Former HOA President
MichelleG7
(Connecticut)

02/13/2021 8:12 PM  
ITs insurance and safety risks. Going on top of the snow pile.. flying down. Snow pile not there for kids to kill them selves. and land into the condos. throwing snow balls at the building. So I guess its kids not being calm kids its neighbor kids and our kid being destructive. And noone around to supervise. thats why I care. Being on the board you give a crap about this stuff, If it was just kids gathering hanging out it would be fine. ITs not. An adult need to be with them supervising. And yes we have a rule for this. For 12 or under to be supervised. They arent in there condo area in the back yard. If mom inside looking out watching the kids as she heres them acting up thats fine. This kid is way away from the adult who should be watching him and its a safety issue. so yeas I care. IT falls on the board when the shit hits the fan.

Im looking for any condo areas that have had some kind of something to get the parents to realize the kids should be supervised. or move to their area of the common area. Thats all. Anyone have this issue and come up with a way of controlling the situation.
MichelleG7
(Connecticut)

02/13/2021 8:14 PM  
ITs insurance and safety risks. Going on top of the snow pile.. flying down. Snow pile not there for kids to kill them selves. and land into the condos. throwing snow balls at the building. So I guess its kids not being calm kids its neighbor kids and our kid being destructive. And noone around to supervise. thats why I care. Being on the board you give a crap about this stuff, If it was just kids gathering hanging out it would be fine. ITs not. An adult need to be with them supervising. And yes we have a rule for this. For 12 or under to be supervised. They arent in there condo area in the back yard. If mom inside looking out watching the kids as she heres them acting up thats fine. This kid is way away from the adult who should be watching him and its a safety issue. so yeas I care. IT falls on the board when the shit hits the fan.

Im looking for any condo areas that have had some kind of something to get the parents to realize the kids should be supervised. or move to their area of the common area. Thats all. Anyone have this issue and come up with a way of controlling the situation.

HUD does not protect the neighbor kids from comming over and being destructive doing what ever they want right. Only protects the kids who live in the condos right.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

02/13/2021 9:22 PM  
Call child services if your that concerned... It's NOT an HOA problem. Your just bothered by it so your assigning it as one. Find out why the parent can't watch their kid or call the appropriate authorities. Problem solved.

Former HOA President
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

02/14/2021 4:20 AM  
Call me old but an 11 year old kid does not need mommy and daddy following them around 100% of the time when they play in the common area. Unless the kids are breaking an HOA rule this is none of the board's business. If someone complained that my kid was playing in a snow pile I'd tell them to go pound sand. My advice is if you can't tie their actions back to a violation of HOA rules then leave this alone and don't get the HOA into the parenting business.

As for your liability concerns, you are overreaching. Using your logic ALL playing by children must be banned. No running allowed because they might fall. No jump rope allowed because they might fall. No playing tag because they might fall. Where does it end?
CathyA3
(Ohio)

02/14/2021 6:11 AM  
I think this is a generational thing. Parents nowadays tend to hover (cell phones are another form of hovering). When I was a kid, playing in piles of snow was the least of it. We'd take off after breakfast, come home for meals, and pretty much stay out until dark or a parent rounded us up. All unsupervised, it goes without saying - and yes, we had some close calls and got ourselves hurt occasionally.

What's also different now: HOAs.

Boards should talk to their insurance agents to make sure they're properly insured. If the kids do damage to the common elements, document and bill the parents (assuming your CC&Rs allow this). Otherwise... assume the parents want to allow their children some measure of independence and quit worrying.

AugustinD

02/14/2021 6:24 AM  
Posted By MichelleG7 on 02/13/2021 8:14 PM
An adult need to be with them supervising. And yes we have a rule for this. For 12 or under to be supervised. They arent in there condo area in the back yard. If mom inside looking out watching the kids as she heres them acting up thats fine. This kid is way away from the adult who should be watching him and its a safety issue. so yeas I care. IT falls on the board when the shit hits the fan. Im looking for any condo areas that have had some kind of something to get the parents to realize the kids should be supervised. or move to their area of the common area. Thats all.
I realize you and others outside hoatalk may think the rule about adult supervision is reasonable and actually goes towards ensuring children's safety. I used to think the latter as well. But HUD sees this differently. Outside of swimming pools, any age-specific restriction is asking for a Fair Housing complaint that yes, HUD will almost certainly latch onto and use to clean the clocks of your HOA/condo. Discussion appears at many sites. For example:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/realestate/is-it-legal-to-require-adult-supervision-of-children-at-a-condo-swimming-pool/2019/06/24/e0d9fa7a-936f-11e9-aadb-74e6b2b46f6a_story.html

https://hooverslovacek.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/law_may2015.pdf

https://www.paveselaw.com/does-your-hoa-have-a-kid-related-rule-like-this-one-rethink-it/

https://www.hud.gov/sites/documents/FAMILIALSTATUSFACTSHEET.PDF

https://www.hud.gov/sites/documents/11-061102598.PDF
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

02/14/2021 6:33 AM  
CathyA3 you are exactly right. In today's world it brings me joy to see kids playing outside and not stuck inside behind their screens 'playing' in the virtual world or learning to communicate through text messages. (Lord have mercy I've become my dad!)

And we wonder why obesity is becoming a serious health epidemic...
CathyA3
(Ohio)

02/14/2021 7:27 AM  
Augustin is right about possible Fair Housing issues. My Declaration has a restriction that forbids "playing" on the common areas, although it's vague. I mentioned it to our attorney - he said that these sorts of restrictions are not unusual and can cause more trouble than they're worth. He recommended not trying to enforce this since it's so vague and amend the Declaration if it seems to be an issue in the community.

(FWIW and slightly OT: "playing" would also apply to adults, and amending/removing the restriction would allow the board to think about and make rules for things such as flying drones in common areas. The latter can be more of an issue in condo communities with multi-story buildings close together.)
MichelleG7
(Connecticut)

02/14/2021 11:28 AM  
You all missed the point. Im asking what do other condos have. not personal information. BOD do you have any info for me. What rules do you have What have you done in the past. And I dont want to get sued as kids run around and fo on items they are not suppose to be on. as destroying COndo property in the making.

Yes we have a rule.. Im trying to see what we should do with the rule. And Im thinking on adding into it nooone is to be doing bla bla bla in the front common area.. And yes that will include adults too. As they should not be thee either. We have a small yard area. The front is not the playground for all ages. And the kids need to go in back of the units where this is less of a yard. Because our condos have no yard for anyone to play in. Thats the lay out of the land. I cant create extra yard. So yes damage can happen while kids run around being kids. So can adults.

Can anyone help me with what you do have for this situation. Im sure there are some of the condos in this group with a rule that is legal for this situation. And to attack me on this subject isnt what Im looking for TY.. And yes I understand HUD thats why Im on here asking..
MichelleG7
(Connecticut)

02/14/2021 11:34 AM  
And let me add a lot of these kids do not live in the condos. HUD does not protect them. Only families living in the condos. I need to add.
KellyM3
(North Carolina)

02/14/2021 11:34 AM  
Posted By MichelleG7 on 02/13/2021 7:42 PM
We have a adult who will not watch her kid.. And thinks the neighbor in an apartment can watch her kid in our common area. But watches the kid while at the apartment house. I know HUD protects kids. What can we do about a kid who lives in our condos having the neighbors kids come over. and they are running around our very small grass area unsupervised. kids are 11 and under. What have your condo rules been for this situation. Remember I stated I know kids have protection under HUD. Somehow they should be supervised. Im at my wits end. ITs tough being on a board and herring it from all ends.

It's time to move to a 55+ community. That's the legal remedy and sincere advice if children playing outdoors is a nuisance. The alternative scenario is they play indoors, which is more acutely disruptive to immediate neighbors.
MichelleG7
(Connecticut)

02/14/2021 11:56 AM  
THANK YOU. for giving me information to research. Everytime this subject comes up . All I see is or hear is how you cant do it no its not this and no no no no no./Well it would be nice if HUD could help us on how we could do what is needed and it work out for all. The front yard is a safety issue al around. the street is right there the building is right there. and sliding down a snow pile into the condo building is not playing normal while the parent is not watching. Cause hopefully the parent would have the child not do that. As mentioned on a post I did. Our front yard is 20 feet by 40 feet it is not a place for kids or adults to be playing in. If we had a big enough yard I would make a play ground area for the kids. We dont have any land for these kids to be out there being kids like they want to be.

This information helps. TY
CathyA3
(Ohio)

02/14/2021 11:57 AM  
Posted By MichelleG7 on 02/14/2021 11:28 AM
You all missed the point. Im asking what do other condos have. not personal information. BOD do you have any info for me. What rules do you have What have you done in the past. And I dont want to get sued as kids run around and fo on items they are not suppose to be on. as destroying COndo property in the making.

Yes we have a rule.. Im trying to see what we should do with the rule. And Im thinking on adding into it nooone is to be doing bla bla bla in the front common area.. And yes that will include adults too. As they should not be thee either. We have a small yard area. The front is not the playground for all ages. And the kids need to go in back of the units where this is less of a yard. Because our condos have no yard for anyone to play in. Thats the lay out of the land. I cant create extra yard. So yes damage can happen while kids run around being kids. So can adults.

Can anyone help me with what you do have for this situation. Im sure there are some of the condos in this group with a rule that is legal for this situation. And to attack me on this subject isnt what Im looking for TY.. And yes I understand HUD thats why Im on here asking..

You must have missed what I wrote:

"My Declaration has a restriction that forbids "playing" on the common areas, although it's vague. I mentioned it to our attorney - he said that these sorts of restrictions are not unusual and can cause more trouble than they're worth. He recommended not trying to enforce this since it's so vague and amend the Declaration if it seems to be an issue in the community."

In addition, we also have a section dealing with Unit Owner rights, which states that *all owners have the right to use all of the common areas, and no owner may interfere with others' use of the common areas*.

Finally, if we wish to change the governing documents, it requires an amendment that must be approved by 75% of unit owners. In other words, the board can't just decide they don't like what the Declaration says and change it. A rule is different - the board can change that. But a rule can't conflict with the governing docs, and if it does, the governing docs take precedence.

It would help you get a more specific answer if you quoted what your governing docs say about this, if anything, and why you believe it gives your board the ability to take action.
MichelleG7
(Connecticut)

02/14/2021 11:59 AM  
YOU DONT GET IT.. Im on the BOD.. This is a safety issue. Please stop telling e what to do. I close more doors and poof its all gone. But being on BOD it is not gone. Do you get it. Are you listening. The BOD can not go and tell the owners. go find a 55 plus place to live in. Really..
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

02/14/2021 12:08 PM  
Don't you get it? Call the appropriate authorities to handle the issue. That's all.

Former HOA President
AugustinD

02/14/2021 12:19 PM  
To the best of my understanding, the OP's board needs to talk to a HOA/condo-specialized attorney. And no one else.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

02/14/2021 12:27 PM  
Posted By MichelleG7 on 02/14/2021 11:59 AM
YOU DONT GET IT.. Im on the BOD.. This is a safety issue. Please stop telling e what to do. I close more doors and poof its all gone. But being on BOD it is not gone. Do you get it. Are you listening. The BOD can not go and tell the owners. go find a 55 plus place to live in. Really..

Many of us here are long time board members or property managers. Yes, we get it.

We also understand the limits of what boards can legally do, and these limits are based in the language of our governing documents plus state/federal laws such as the Fair Housing Act.

I'll ask again: what do your governing documents have to say about limits on behavior in the common areas? Because the board can make rules until they're blue in the face, but if these rules don't comply with the law and governing documents, they're useless and set you up for legal action. Hard cheese, but there it is.

Give us something we can work with. Otherwise I got nuthin'.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

02/14/2021 12:50 PM  
My HOA is almost across the street from an elementary school. So close there are no busses in our HOA neighborhood. All the kids walk to the elementary school. Many of them after the age of 10 ride bikes or walk without parents. There is usually a parent at the cross walk whom will be there and kids all walk together.

However, one of board members after I had left had "befriended" some of the kids at the "poorer" apartment complex on the other side of the crosswalk. The apartment complex is known to have a higher criminal rate for our area. Many of the kids being "latchkey". They started following our kids home and then playing at the pool/common areas. So when I came by I noticed these kids hanging out in our HOA more often.

The board member is a friend of mine and one of the ones who is normally more boisterous about such things. So was a bit taken back she was allowing these kids to come over. Knowing once these kids got used to coming over they may bring the other element over as well. It was like having kids coming over and casing the place.

Our crime didn't go up at all. The kids were really needing a safe place with friends and adults. They were lonely and bored kids if they stayed at home. Which then could lead to bad behavior. However, the kids having a safe and secure place to be kids really helped them. They went home when appropriate or when adult would tell them it was time.

So you say "Don't get it". I get it very well. Why don't you stop judging the kids and give them a safe secure place to be kids? Running them off helps no one.

Former HOA President
LetA
(Nevada)

02/14/2021 2:13 PM  
Unfortunately when it comes to crumb crunchers and HOA's There is little to nothing ANY HOA BOD can do. We can stop all this by being carful of who we vote for in Senate and Congress that passes these laws in the first place.
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

02/14/2021 2:18 PM  
Posted By LetA on 02/14/2021 2:13 PM
Unfortunately when it comes to crumb crunchers and HOA's There is little to nothing ANY HOA BOD can do. We can stop all this by being carful of who we vote for in Senate and Congress that passes these laws in the first place.

I agree, there is no excuse for a law not to exist that outlaws kids playing on a snow pile.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

02/14/2021 2:33 PM  
OK, here is what I would do if my community had a similar issue:

* Walk the property and identify all safety issues.

* Talk to your insurance agent about this, and follow his/her recommendations about liability insurance and other necessary actions.

* Warn the community about the safety issues. Put general info in the newsletter and send notifications to all owners and residents via snail mail and email.

* If you see particular kids doing dangerous stuff, send a letter to the parents/guardians/etc. warning them about this specific danger plus all the others.

* Physically modify any hazardous items that you can.

* Put up physical barriers around the hazardous areas.

* Put up signage at each hazardous area.

Note that none of this is about rules. It's all about covering the association's "assets" and minimizing liability. The insurance agent may have similar suggestions.

What nobody will say is that safety concerns justify making whatever rules the board thinks is necessary. This is because it isn't true. And no amount of rule making will stop a determined kid, but an effective barrier just might. Ask me how I know this.

(On a somewhat-related note, I bet folks my age have noticed this. Have you noticed that car manuals used to tell you how to fix your alternator, but nowadays they tell you not to drink battery acid?)

MichelleG7
(Connecticut)

02/14/2021 2:51 PM  
TY
AugustinD

02/14/2021 2:52 PM  
Posted By CathyA3 on 02/14/2021 2:33 PM
* If you see particular kids doing dangerous stuff, send a letter to the parents/guardians/etc. warning them about this specific danger plus all the others.
-- I suggest sending the exact same letter to all of the HOA/condo members. Else I would be concerned that a letter sent only to families with kids could be used as evidence of hostility towards kids.

-- On another note: The protected class of "familial status" did not come along until 1988, when it was part of an amendment to the 1968 Fair Housing Act. What is the purpose of a federal law and often state law prohibiting discrimination on the basis of familial status? What is the argument that society benefits from supporting families with children via the non-discriminatory provisions of the FHA? Do the protections ensure that those adults with kids have the same opportunities that those adults without kids have? Or is it so that kids will be allowed to run around outdoors willy-nilly, not driving (let's face it, almost always) moms crazy? Is housing healthier for kids when discrimination based on familial status is prohibited? Such that with such protections under the law, the societal tendency is that kids are less likely to become juvenile delinquents (or whatever the correct phrase is today)?

-- At least there are communities for seniors that are allowed under the law.
MichelleG7
(Connecticut)

02/14/2021 2:58 PM  
Not talking about crime. Well one of the fathers from the apt house is stealing license plates off cars and items off back decks he crack head. Thats his problem. not mine. if we had a pool My thought is a parent watching them. other than that I wouldn't care. But other owners might care if your association is supplying a pool to the neighborhood kids. That's their issue to figure out. I'm saying since we have more and more people renting out the condos. there are more and more not giving a crap about safety but first to bark if you mention please dont do that to the very nicely to the kid. ITs like you reprimanded their kid. because they werent there to watch the kid. But they be the first to sue the association when something happens to their kid.
MichelleG7
(Connecticut)

02/14/2021 3:02 PM  
Isnt HUD federal the rules are same for all. And HUD federal over rides all sate and and. even condo rules. So if we say no one can play in the front area. not saying any kids or segregating. in our rules it should be acceptable. which would include anything and anybody. Because with HUD what ever the kids are told to do all have to be told to do. so say all .. ITs all about the wording.
MichelleG7
(Connecticut)

02/14/2021 3:05 PM  
As I have too. been in my condo for 35 years. on the board for much longer. Problem happening now. lot of owners renting out the condos. Causing a lot of turn over in the people living here. And yes I understand it all too. Im asking what do ya do about it. ignoring and allowing it to happen is not a fix. But thats ok I came here for answers and answers I got thank you.
AugustinD

02/14/2021 3:05 PM  
Kids whose parents do not live at the hoa/condo and are playing on hoa/condo property are trespassing. This could be criminal or civil. If these kids, whose parents do not live at the hoa/condo get hurt, the liability promises to be huge.

In my opinion, you should be talking to a competent hoa/condo attorney about the problems your hoa/condo is facing. This is the wrong place for your queries.
AugustinD

02/14/2021 3:07 PM  
Posted By MichelleG7 on 02/14/2021 3:02 PM
So if we say no one can play in the front area. not saying any kids or segregating.
Now you are getting it. But see an attorney.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

02/14/2021 3:08 PM  
Posted By MichelleG7 on 02/14/2021 3:05 PM
As I have too. been in my condo for 35 years. on the board for much longer. Problem happening now. lot of owners renting out the condos. Causing a lot of turn over in the people living here. And yes I understand it all too. Im asking what do ya do about it. ignoring and allowing it to happen is not a fix. But thats ok I came here for answers and answers I got thank you.

I think renters, not the kid playing outside, is the root of Michelle's problem.
MichelleG7
(Connecticut)

02/14/2021 3:09 PM  
state condo statutes over ride the declarations. the statute might be different now. Im learning a lot about that with dift subjects in our declarations. Wow that part about all unit owners. common area is in our rules not Declarations. Thank you for sharing
MichelleG7
(Connecticut)

02/14/2021 3:14 PM  
I might go this route. Our atty helped us with a huge problem with noise and a joining condos. Well I created the rule and he put his stamp of approval on it. Which we have documented. When one owner does not like the noise out of another unit. and thinks we would get involved and with the old rule we had to get involved. and guess where we ended up in a HUD situation. because as kids have rights so do elderly people too.

Which is why I am trying to avoid the kid issue from blowing up . and visiting HUD again. Which is why we can not just ignore it.

TY
MichelleG7
(Connecticut)

02/14/2021 3:14 PM  
I might go this route. Our atty helped us with a huge problem with noise and a joining condos. Well I created the rule and he put his stamp of approval on it. Which we have documented. When one owner does not like the noise out of another unit. and thinks we would get involved and with the old rule we had to get involved. and guess where we ended up in a HUD situation. because as kids have rights so do elderly people too.

Which is why I am trying to avoid the kid issue from blowing up . and visiting HUD again. Which is why we can not just ignore it.

TY
AugustinD

02/14/2021 3:16 PM  
Posted By MichelleG7 on 02/14/2021 3:09 PM
state condo statutes over ride the declarations.
This depends on what you mean by "override." Most folks new here do not understand that many state condo statutes have clauses like, "Unless the Declaration says X, Y is required."

Go see an attorney.
MichelleG7
(Connecticut)

02/15/2021 6:43 AM  
dont need to see an atty on what I just wrote that you are saying that for. IT's true. Seen it in action.
MichelleG7
(Connecticut)

02/15/2021 6:43 AM  
dont need to see an atty on what I just wrote that you are saying that for. IT's true. Seen it in action.
AugustinD

02/15/2021 7:35 AM  
Posted By MichelleG7 on 02/15/2021 6:43 AM
dont need to see an atty on what I just wrote that you are saying that for.
This depends on your understanding of statutory interpretation.
BenA2
(Texas)

02/15/2021 9:12 AM  
"HUD does not protect the neighbor kids from comming over and being destructive doing what ever they want right. Only protects the kids who live in the condos right."

HUD does allow restrictions for unsupervised children under a certain age. I can't find anything definitive saying what that age is. I would call the HUD office for your state (each state has one) to find out.

There may be other laws or precedents that protect the rights of residents to have guest so even though HUD does not apply to children who are not residents, you may still not be able to ban them. For example, the courts in at least one state, have ruled that a condo or apartment complex cannot ban anyone from their property if they are the guest of a resident.

https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/field_policy_mgt/localoffices

AugustinD

02/15/2021 9:45 AM  
Posted By BenA2 on 02/15/2021 9:12 AM
HUD does allow restrictions for unsupervised children under a certain age.
The only restrictions I found pertain to pool and spa use. Do feel free to post some links.
I can't find anything definitive saying what that age is. I would call the HUD office for your state (each state has one) to find out.
The people who answer the phone at HUD cannot give legal advice. In my experience it's best to scour the internet for HUD statements and lawsuits on the subject.
BenA2
(Texas)

02/16/2021 1:41 PM  
Posted By AugustinD on 02/15/2021 9:45 AM
Posted By BenA2 on 02/15/2021 9:12 AM
HUD does allow restrictions for unsupervised children under a certain age.
The only restrictions I found pertain to pool and spa use. Do feel free to post some links.
I can't find anything definitive saying what that age is. I would call the HUD office for your state (each state has one) to find out.
The people who answer the phone at HUD cannot give legal advice. In my experience it's best to scour the internet for HUD statements and lawsuits on the subject.

Most of what I've read came from lawsuits involving pools and spas also, mainly "adult swim" rules. Common sense would say if you can't discriminate against children at the pool, the same would hold true in other areas.

I agree a non-lawyer would not give legal advice but HUD has written policies and opinions that I'm sure they would be happy to share. I attended a talk by a HUD attorney. He gave everyone attending the class his office number and said he or another attorney would be happy to answer questions in the future. I'm sure not all offices will be as helpful but it doesn't hurt to try. After all, their job is to ensure people follow the Fair Housing Act.
AugustinD

02/16/2021 2:15 PM  
Posted By BenA2 on 02/16/2021 1:41 PM
Most of what I've read came from lawsuits involving pools and spas also, mainly "adult swim" rules. Common sense would say if you can't discriminate against children at the pool, the same would hold true in other areas.
Keep reading. HUD does allow reasonable rules requiring supervision of kids, of certain ages, at pools and the like. But by my reading, rules that tend to force kids indoors are looked upon unfavorably by HUD.

I agree to disagree on HUD's helpfulness. A great example is how HUD will not nail down exactly what supervision requirements are allowable under the FHA. HUD takes these situations, of questionable requirements for supervision, case by case.

Because I think the point of this forum is to educate, here's a great example from 2020 of when and why HUD will file charges of discrimination based on familial status:

https://www.ajjcs.net/paper/main/2020/10/11/hud-issues-fair-housing-charge-against-wyoming-property-owner-management-agent-and-onsite-manager-for-familial-status-violation/

I attach the court complaint that was filed in September 2020 with an administrative law judge. Note how the family who made the complaint submitted its complaint nearly three years before filed suit, in November, 2017. Note how HUD alleges the family had to move into really crummy housing.

Unlawful housing discrimination is a big deal. But navigating the bureaucratic maze of submitting a HUD complaint is god-awful. Complainants burn out; suffer financial losses; become dismayed with government. They are typically impoverished and so particularly vulnerable to the worst that society has to offer. I am assisting someone in the thick of having his FHA complaint evaluated. Many months have passed. The stupid HOA is putting more screws on him. But the complaint is in slo-mo amidst the mighty cogs and gears of HUD's system. This man is suffering horribly.

I am not interested in off-the-top-of-one's-head impressions about the Fair Housing Act or violations of same.

Attachment: 1216154481371.pdf

MichelleG7
(Connecticut)

02/20/2021 10:52 PM  
Thank you I have read. If the kids would go to the back deck area where they could be watched have no issue with that. There is a bit of grass IT would be a good thing.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

02/23/2021 7:43 AM  
Posted By MichelleG7 on 02/20/2021 10:52 PM
Thank you I have read. If the kids would go to the back deck area where they could be watched have no issue with that. There is a bit of grass IT would be a good thing.

Kids age 8 around here typically are allowed to go 1/2 mile from home.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement