Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, November 29, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: How do you jumpstart a new board?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
RachelS
(Florida)

04/28/2006 5:13 AM  
Hello all,

Lots of good info! We have an HOA here in Florida with about 400 homes in a fairly new subdivision (it was built in phases). We have about 3 or 4 boardmembers and the property management firm rep who are "in charge". We have had tons of violations of the HOA rules, ie sheds in backyards, complete dead lawns, etc...many folks have gotten 2-3 notices, are at maximum fines..the board says the next step is for an attorney to write letters...but they are dragging their feet...says it's expensive...so now we have an HOA board with "no teeth". What are the rest of us to do now? These members sit on the board for another year and the property management folks defer to the board to make decisions...I thought the first person should've been made an example of by following thru with fining and then enforcing by attorney letter and then court or lien? Any advice for us?

thanks in advance,
Rachel
SwanB
(Washington)

04/28/2006 8:50 AM  
Why an attorney to write the letters? As past Violations Director, I wrote our letters and our members paid their fines. When a conflict arose and the Board felt it necessary to seek legal counsel, we then brought in our attorney...but only after careful deliberation, assessing the cost and going through all our avenues first.
RogerB
(Colorado)

04/28/2006 8:53 AM  
Rachel, most of the time violations will not occur if you educate the owners in advance. And when violations do occur they can be usually be corrected without the use of an attorney. (apply the 7Ps and the golden rule)

Here is a sequence of some of the things you can do. Your management company's job is to monitor for violations and assist the Board in establishing procedures. It is the responsibility of the Board to establish procedures and to enforce compliance. An effective Board will seldom need an attorney. The "teeth" comes from your CC&Rs and competence of your Board and Managing Agent. When they fail to do their job, they should be replaced.

1) Establish Rules and Regulations starting with a) Delinquent Assessments; and b) Enforcement of Covenants and Rules.
2) Distribute these to all owners.
3) Periodically remind owners on Covenant compliance.
4) Provide proper notice on any confirmed violation. (my example R&R on Enforcement of Covenants and Rules has the elements which need to be included in the notice)
5) Have a proper Hearing on each violation not corrected by a reasonable deadline.
6) After a Hearing where the owner is found to be in violation a fine is assessed.
7) After an established number of notices and esculating fines, if the violation is still not corrected get a court order to correct the violation. (At this point I use an attorney)
8) Have a contractor effect repairs with the police accompanying when they enter the property.
9) Assess the owner for all costs involved.
10) Owners with delinquent have a lien placed on their property in accordance with the R&R on Delinquent Assessments. (examples have been provided on this board)
11) If not paid within the timeframe established by the R&R on Delinquent Assessments foreclosure is initiated. (This is the second time I would use an attorney)

Hope this will help,
RogerB
SwanB
(Washington)

04/28/2006 8:55 AM  
I understand my first reply wasn't very helpful to your actual question. Sorry about that.
Some ideas on jump-starting a board is to get on it and be pro-
active as opposed to passive and not doing things.
When we had some problems in an organization, I found talking with individual Board members was helpful. I was coming into the fray with a whole different perspective and from their point-of-view my comments and direction was making them feel a bit overwhelmed in their meetings and unhelpful. Once we met one-on-one, we both were able to offer our views in a more relaxed arena and some progress towards a workable solution was made.
Sometimes a Board meeting isn't the best time to catch your Board members since they have full plates for the meeting.
RachelS
(Florida)

04/29/2006 1:05 PM  
Oh boy...thanks for all your feedback. We don't even have a fines committee, just an architechtural committee, and I think members just get notices for fines....I do not know about any hearings...need to get more info, but it seems we are not totally with it here on procedure and just plain initiative.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > How do you jumpstart a new board?

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement