Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, January 17, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Officers Responsibilities/Job Description
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
LeslieT1
(Tennessee)

01/08/2021 3:28 PM  
Does anyone have a good resource that provides HOA officers job description/responsibilities? Our bylaws and restrictive covenants do not provide this information. Thanks!
SheliaH
(Indiana)

01/08/2021 3:36 PM  
Normally, I'd think it odd that the Bylaws wouldn't have this because Bylaws are supposed to dictate how the association is run (e.g. powers of the board, how to amend the documents, etc.) However, I've read all sorts of weird stuff on this board. Even so, reread the documents anyway - they can be really difficult to read because of all the legalese, but it will be necessary because....

Anyway, why not start with a simple internet search for "HOA president duties" and what not? You should still review your documents to see what the board is responsible for and then determine what you want the officers to do towards that end. Oh, and check out the CAI website's education materials - there are several books and brochures you can buy on the duties of HOA officers. While you're at it, you should probably check out resources on holding effective board meetings and other board issues that can help you. Enjoy!
TimB4
(Virginia)

01/08/2021 3:50 PM  
Typically, the Bylaws provide a very limited set of duties.

I actually made officer binders to assist describing the duties for my Association.

Leslie, email me and I'll provide (too large to post).

[email protected]

Note: I won't see the email until Monday night.

Hopefully, these will be of assistance as well:

Best Practices - Governance (pdf document) by the Foundation for Community Association Research

Links to other Best Practices publications by the Foundation for Community Association Research

Spotlight on You the Secretary pdf document by the National Association of Parliamentarians

links to Spotlight on Other Officer positions by the National Association of Parliamentarians

Subject: Reserve Studies/Funds 101 a thread on this forum, HOATalk. Has good links to other resources on Reserve studies.
KerryL1
(California)

01/08/2021 4:35 PM  
You've received some good help already, Leslie.

If your HOA is a corporation, your state's corporations code or statutes might help.

What size is your HOA? Do you have a property manager who helps the board of directors?
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

01/09/2021 5:02 AM  
I found more details in the Articles of Incorporation documents for these positions. They seem to be briefly mentioned in the others but more defined in the Articles. Typically Secretary keeps records of ownership/meeting notes. Treasurer accounting of funds. Vice President to take over meeting IF President can not attend. However, they do NOT assume the President's position if they vacate. President can NOT act as the Secretary but is the head of the HOA. Each HOA varies of course but that is the general set up. Plus Officer positions are voted on amongst the elected board members. General membership elect board members. The board members then vote amongst themselves the office positions.

Former HOA President
LeslieT1
(Tennessee)

01/09/2021 9:57 AM  
Thanks everyone for the many helpful suggestions. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Officers Responsibilities/Job Description

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement