Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, January 17, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Adding State HOA rules for information
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
LarryE3
(Colorado)

01/06/2021 9:22 AM  
I am in Colorado and am on the Board for a small HOA community. I understand that state HOA laws passed supersede local CCRs. For example, our CCRs say you can't run a business out of your home, but the CO legislature just past a law stating HOA's can't prohibit a Child care business.

Given this is there a recommended way that we can create a document of these kinds of state level changes without having to formally change the CCRs each time the state changes? Kind of like added a codcile to a legal document so you don't have to go back to the lawyer?

Thanks in advance!

AugustinD

01/06/2021 9:36 AM  
Posted By LarryE3 on 01/06/2021 9:22 AM
I am in Colorado and am on the Board for a small HOA community. I understand that state HOA laws passed supersede local CCRs. For example, our CCRs say you can't run a business out of your home, but the CO legislature just past a law stating HOA's can't prohibit a Child care business.

Given this is there a recommended way that we can create a document of these kinds of state level changes without having to formally change the CCRs each time the state changes?
This question comes up a lot here. I know of no requirement to formally change CC&Rs that have become outdated on account of recently passed legislation or possibly, case law.

Do confirm that the applicability section of any new statute does indicate apllication to your HOA. Often new HOA legislation is applicable only to HOAs established after a certain date.

Is there a publication the Board could put out to clarify things? I think one approach would be for the Board to add to the existing rules and regulations a rule stating that, "Pursuant to statute ____ , enacted after the establishment of this HOA but applicable to this HOA, child care businesses are no longer prohibited."
SheliaH
(Indiana)

01/06/2021 10:29 AM  
In addition to checking with your Ssoviation about this, you may also want to check local ordinances, as I'm sure there are a number of requirements regarding licensing of at home child care centers. Those requirements alone may be enough to prevent homeowners from running such a business out of their homes

And reread the state statute for any language addressing centers for infants as opposed to gocdlers about to go to kindergarten. The state might have said infant care is fine as long as the number of kids don't exceed a certain number
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Adding State HOA rules for information

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement