Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, January 17, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Trustee Sold Condo to Family Member
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
EricW6
(Massachusetts)

01/06/2021 4:25 AM  
I have a trustee that sold his condo to a family member for tax purposes. He then provided a Power of Attorney document to continue to make decisions on the condo. When he sold his unit does he automatically lose his position as the on the Board of Trustees as the treasurer? I would assume he loses his position and needs to be voted in again by all unit owners. Am I correct?
SheliaH
(Indiana)

01/06/2021 4:40 AM  
Read your documents for the answer. If your documents say board members (or trustees) have to be unit owners and he sold his unit, you have your answer. You might also want to check the deed to see who's now listed as owner - which you can probably do by contacting the agency that maintains that information.

If you're correct, you'll have to speak truth to power and confront the board with this information and then see what happens. This may end up with a special homeowner's meeting to decide the fate of that homeowner, and you may need to be the one to rally your neighbors together to pull it off. Buckle up - you're in for an interesting ride, and good luck.

CathyA3
(Ohio)

01/06/2021 5:30 AM  
Yes, most condo associations require that directors be homeowners of the association. If this is true for your association, Mr. Former Owner resigned from the board the day his condo sale closed.

Even if that were not the case, I doubt that this would work. Board positions are not "hereditary" or owned by the board member. He would have no authority to transfer decision-making power, as this power doesn't belong to him. It belongs to homeowners who elect people to serve on the board.

As Sheila said, time to push back.

AugustinD

01/06/2021 6:46 AM  
Ditto what SheliaH and CathyA3 posted.

Power-of-attorney, for a person who is a condo Owner, does not translate to being qualified to run for or be appointed to the board. That this guy thinks his Power-of-Attorney does translate thusly is a gross misconception.
BillH10
(Texas)

01/06/2021 8:39 AM  
Eric

The answer to your question depends on the language in your documents.

The position of Treasurer in some association documents is an officer but not necessarily that of an elected director. Those association documents may also state the Treasurer does not have to be a member of the association or an owner in the association. This language exists to allow a Board to engage a non-elected person who may be a financial professional (CPA, etc.) as the Treasurer.

I respectfully agree with the responses which were previously posted, the individual probably lost his seat upon execution of the documents of sale at closing. However, you should read the documents of your association to determine the exact requirements to be a member of the Board of Trustees.

There are also scenarios in which a non-owner designated representative of a business entity (such as a corporation) owner may hold office on an association board. Others on this forum understand this far better than I, if this is the case you should consider consulting the association attorney regarding eligibility to serve.
EricW6
(Massachusetts)

01/06/2021 11:43 AM  
Thank you all for the support and replies.
EricW6
(Massachusetts)

01/06/2021 11:43 AM  
Thank you all for the support and replies.
GenoS
(Florida)

01/06/2021 1:48 PM  
Posted By AugustinD on 01/06/2021 6:46 AM

Power-of-attorney, for a person who is a condo Owner, does not translate to being qualified to run for or be appointed to the board. That this guy thinks his Power-of-Attorney does translate thusly is a gross misconception.

That's exactly my understanding. A POA grants the holder the ability to make decisions on behalf of the giver. Serving as a Director on the Board isn't included.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

01/07/2021 1:09 PM  
Posted By GenoS on 01/06/2021 1:48 PM
Posted By AugustinD on 01/06/2021 6:46 AM

That's exactly my understanding. A POA grants the holder the ability to make decisions on behalf of the giver. Serving as a Director on the Board isn't included.

This is my belief also.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Trustee Sold Condo to Family Member

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement