Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, January 15, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Finding HOA Board Members
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
LeslieT1
(Tennessee)

12/28/2020 1:21 PM  
I am currently on our HOA Board and would like ideas for encouraging members to join the Board. We are a small community of 18 homes and prior to myself and a couple other members, the Board had been inactive for several years. It wasn't until the funds were nearly depleted and the risk of the street lights going dark and the water for the entrance landscaping being shut off that a Board member raised the need of reactivating the Board. Since then, we've had one election that resulted in an inactive President that has since moved along with another Board member moving. Elections are next month and the Board once again solicited nominations for the Board resulting in no one stepping up to join the Board. How do other HOA's handle this situation? Looking for ideas to encourage members to take an interest in their neighborhood and join their HOA Board Thanks for your ideas and suggestions.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

12/28/2020 1:32 PM  
Compose a letter to Fellow Owners explaining the consequences, including an executor taking over if no BOD. Inform them of how much time a week is needed. Scare them a little. With only 18 homes, you could distribute the letter yourself and maybe talk to neighbors as you do.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

12/28/2020 3:25 PM  
I find actions speak louder than words. With so few members it might be a bit easier. I started small projects like cleaning up the main entrance. People saw me out in front taking care of the area. Some would come and volunteer to assist. Plus I'd walk my dogs around the neighborhood and be approachable.

People seeing effort and results seems to encourage them to either hide or participate. Also let them know there is liability insurance in place to protect board members personally. Atleast there should be...

Former HOA President
GregM14
(South Carolina)

12/29/2020 12:15 PM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 12/28/2020 3:25 PM
I find actions speak louder than words. With so few members it might be a bit easier. I started small projects like cleaning up the main entrance. People saw me out in front taking care of the area. Some would come and volunteer to assist. Plus I'd walk my dogs around the neighborhood and be approachable.

People seeing effort and results seems to encourage them to either hide or participate. Also let them know there is liability insurance in place to protect board members personally. Atleast there should be...

I think this is a good point. A well run HOA will attract volunteers because people like to be around projects/groups/etc that they see are successful projects/groups/etc.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Finding HOA Board Members

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement