Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, November 26, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Ballots - Annual Meeting / Email - Mail-in
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
TammyC3
(New Mexico)

11/19/2020 5:40 AM  
Current New Mexico restrictions and mandates prohibit an in-person "gathering" for our Annual Meeting.
Our BoD has taken the position that the Annual Meeting must be held without physically 'gathering'. Directors agree to utilize our Association's small website for access to ballots, for the purpose of conducting the election, and meeting other requirements.

I'm in search of suggestions and input on creating ballots specifically for download/print by Members, for the election of Directors. When completed, ballots can be dropped in a locked box within the subdivision or returned via email/mail.

The Agenda will be minimal, but does include a budget.
- Could/should the budget et. al., be incorporated into the same ballot?
- Should 'any opposed' reply separately to the Association's email/mail?

- Timeline from posting ballot online to Secretary's hand: 10 Days? (mimics minimum 'notice' requirement)

- How would proxies figure in?
- Would a returned ballot = being 'present' for purpose of quorum requirement?

65 members. 144 lots.

We're trying to avoid pitfalls.

Your suggestions and guidance are greatly appreciated.

SheliaH
(Indiana)

11/19/2020 8:47 AM  
How you use proxies shouldn't change from whatever you did before. I would start the meeting by counting the proxies to see if you have enough to establish a quorum according to the documents.

Normally you could cancel a proxy by showing up and casting a vote personally, but this will be virtual or a gigantic conference call, so you should ask that everyone send one in, even if they log in the virtual meeting or dial in.

For the ballot, you could send that as a PDF form that people could print out and sign before returning it. You can set it up where people can fill it in online and then print it out. If they email it, no one should be able to go into the document and change anything - I don't know the tech piece of how to do that, but I'm sure someone can help you.

I've attended webinars where people answer polling questions as part of the program so you could use that to cast votes and everyone can see the results in real time. Or have designated counters announce each vote as a type of voice vote. don't say mr. Robot voted for A - just say one one vote for A and the second person could verify that and repeat what was said, just like they do on a submarine in giving commands.

in our community only the board approves the budget unless assessments will increase over 5% form the current year.
If you're approved the budget, homeowners should receive a copy before the meeting and get at least 30 days to look at it before casting a vote. If not, send it anyway, assuming the board already approved it. People can still ask questions about during the meeting. If that discussion turns lengthy, you need to have a special meeting for that.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/19/2020 9:17 AM  
I would think mail in process would be best - i.e. paper.

Then host (team process of counting) (self managed or professional manager?) could report online during the call-in/VTC, that quorum is met, and whatever outcome there is for elections.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

11/19/2020 12:00 PM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 11/19/2020 9:17 AM
I would think mail in process would be best - i.e. paper.

Then host (team process of counting) (self managed or professional manager?) could report online during the call-in/VTC, that quorum is met, and whatever outcome there is for elections.

How close can my ballot inspectors stand?
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Ballots - Annual Meeting / Email - Mail-in

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement