Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, November 26, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Fraud and bad board
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
MichaelH31
(California)

11/17/2020 2:54 PM  
Posted By MichaelH31 on 11/17/2020 2:04 PM
Posted By KerryL1 on 11/17/2020 1:50 PM
So it IS a director who's the janitor. That simply wasn't clear to me.

When you read Augustin's citation, remember that the VP still can attend the rest of the meeting. He cannot discuss or vote on anything having to do with his portion as janitor and direct employee of your HOA. It's best if he'll leave the room which janitor-stuff is being discussed.

Did you place the portion on an executive session agenda? This IS a personnel matter and your board can discuss the topic there.

When does his contract expire????

HI Kerry, so let me get this straight.....he can be in on the meeting and listen to us discuss his janitorial contract if he doesn't want to leave? I asked to have it on the agenda and was told it was already prepared, but that we could discuss it........tonight in a few hours.

Whoops sorry, his contract has no expiration date. It's been since 4/16.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

11/17/2020 2:55 PM  
Posted By MichaelH31 on 11/17/2020 2:19 PM
Posted By MarkM19 on 11/17/2020 2:11 PM
Michael,
Typically it has to be on the agenda 72 hours prior to the meeting. If it is not on the agenda no action can be taken or voted on during the main meeting. It can be discussed in executive session because it covers the 4 topics that are executive type discussions. Kerry is usually always right with her comments. Typically I would say that the VP should not be in the room when any janitorial talk is going on because if other rates were discussed he should not be aware to any of that information.

HI Mark, thanks for the timely information. My MC says he's able to be there but not discuss, so I will bring up your point on rates.

I say the VP can be in the room when discussed but as they are discussing him, he cannot talk nor vote. He can only listen. I have also said, do it in Executive Session.
KerryL1
(California)

11/17/2020 5:02 PM  
First, Michael, it appears to me that you do not have a valid contract with your VP for janitorial services. I know Augustin & Chris will know this, and others too, since I'm not sure. I believe that a contract must have a "term," i.e., when it starts and ends, in it to be valid. (Not a CA thing.)

2nd, in CA, agendas must be publicly posted 72 hours in advance of open meetings. The board may not discuss let alone vote on anything that is not on the agenda (unless urgent). For executive session, where this topic belongs, you need 48 hours posted notice.

You COULD BRING it up in open forum and see were that gets you. Probably not far, but ask the Board to place it on the next executive session agenda. I know you want to "out" this guy, but since it's a contact matter, it can be in Ex. session. There is NO requirement that it be, though.

You didn't read Augustin's citation about conflict of interest, Michael? I don't have time as we have a big meeting tonight too. My recollection is that he must recuse himself from discussion and voting. In our HOA directors do leave the room when they have a conflict so that discussions can be frank. But I don't know if it's required.
MichaelH31
(California)

11/17/2020 5:07 PM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 11/17/2020 5:02 PM
First, Michael, it appears to me that you do not have a valid contract with your VP for janitorial services. I know Augustin & Chris will know this, and others too, since I'm not sure. I believe that a contract must have a "term," i.e., when it starts and ends, in it to be valid. (Not a CA thing.)

2nd, in CA, agendas must be publicly posted 72 hours in advance of open meetings. The board may not discuss let alone vote on anything that is not on the agenda (unless urgent). For executive session, where this topic belongs, you need 48 hours posted notice.

You COULD BRING it up in open forum and see were that gets you. Probably not far, but ask the Board to place it on the next executive session agenda. I know you want to "out" this guy, but since it's a contact matter, it can be in Ex. session. There is NO requirement that it be, though.

You didn't read Augustin's citation about conflict of interest, Michael? I don't have time as we have a big meeting tonight too. My recollection is that he must recuse himself from discussion and voting. In our HOA directors do leave the room when they have a conflict so that discussions can be frank. But I don't know if it's required.

Kerry, can't thank you and the others enough. I did read the conflict of interest.
AugustinD

11/17/2020 6:28 PM  
To my knowledge, the existence of a defined end date is not required for a contract to be legally enforceable.

Regarding breach of contract: Either the HOA or the state of California chose to shut down the bathroom and meeting rooms et cetera, correct? Per chance did the contract cover this specific scenario (of certain line items in the contract no longer having validity because of xyz)? If not, then I think that, if the HOA stopped paying the janitor the full amount (on account of the fault of the HOA or the state of California), it is the HOA might be in breach.

It does help that there is no end date. I expect this means the contract can be re-negotiated at any time.

I think the forum would have to see the contract to be able to judge whether it is legally reasonable to ask the janitor for reimbursement for prior months. It may not be.

Of course going forward, the contract should be changed.

I am curious as to whether this contract with the Director-VP-Janitorial Service Provider is written down. Granted contracts do not have to be in writing to be legally enforceable, but I believe it's certainly far better if they are.

Do the covenants or state law require the contractor to be bonded or have workers comp insurance?

JohnC77
(Washington)

11/18/2020 12:59 PM  

Actually notice is 96 hours or 4 days
KerryL1
(California)

11/18/2020 1:07 PM  
My DOH, I'm terrible at math. Yes, 4 days is correct.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Fraud and bad board

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement