Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, November 26, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: security cameras lights arch mod forms
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
PatriciaL1
(California)

11/06/2020 10:43 AM  
We live in an area that has seen an uptick in home, primarily garage intrusions. We want to "fast track" approval for homeowners who wish to install security cameras and/or motion lights. I know there are some general and specific (ie., privacy) concerns. Does anyone have a "form" they use for approval of these (or other) types of security measures? Would you be wiling to share it with me so that we might have something to start with and then adapt to our community?

I am not talking about the HOA putting up cameras, only individual homeowners. Thank you.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

11/06/2020 11:18 AM  
I don't think you need to fast track it - I understand people want to get this done quickly, but as we know speed can and does kill.

Here are three articles you might take a look at - while two are focused on the HOA's installation of cameras, they do raise some issues your board or exterior change committee (preferably both) should consider when reviewing these requests:

https://hub.associaonline.com/blog/hoa-guide-to-installing-using-security-cameras
https://www.insidehook.com/article/smart-home/home-security-privacyhttps://www.hoaleader.com/public/HOA-Owners-and-Security-Cameras-OK-or-No-Way.cfm

In light of these articles, it may be your first step would be to establish design standards first or at least begin by requiring that the requests include long, medium and short range photos showing exactly where the camera(s) will be placed, as placement is an issue when it comes to privacy.
PatriciaL1
(California)

11/06/2020 1:03 PM  
Thanks. I guess more correctly what I meant was to automatically approve. I know we need some sort of guidelines in order to do that. So I was wondering if anyone had a policy I could potentially adapt to our community. Three of our garages were broken into just a couple weeks ago. Bicycles and other garage items stolen. Last year, another home was entered through the side garage door. Again, bicycles, and also computers, jewelry and cash. A couple years before that two home entered through the front doors. The usual, case computers, etc. And the burglaries have generally increased in our city, enough to make national news. I'm okay with automatically approving installation of home cameras and motion detection lights although I realize there needs to be some guidelines for size, aesthetics, etc. Fortunately the homes do not face each other so front mounted cameras would not easily see neighbors. Rear cameras are another story, privacy must be maintained. Thank you again.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

11/06/2020 1:49 PM  
My main concern with cameras is privacy. Rule #1 should be they show one's property and only one's property and nothing else.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

11/06/2020 1:49 PM  
My main concern with cameras is privacy. Rule #1 should be they show one's property and only one's property and nothing else.
MarkM19
(Texas)

11/06/2020 3:42 PM  
JohnC,
I think it is important to clarify that cameras should not be pointed into anyone's windows of their neighbors. If they are viewing the open area outside of the other peoples homes no one has a right to privacy in a public area. The same people who may complain ordinarily will be the first to post on social media if something is stolen from them did anyone catch it on cameras?

I hear about privacy all the time and the same people go to Walmart and Target and other department stores all the time. Their cameras can tell you how many times you cough in the store. We have given up our right to privacy a long time ago when we leave our homes.

How would anyone ever know the range of a camera and the view of the camera unless they saw the video? The HOA needs to understand that if you write rules you should not or can't enforce you are just wasting time and energy. I would suggest very limited guidelines like maybe number of and location and possibly limit it to dome type cameras so that they all look the same. They also have Bullet cameras that are longer range and can be pretty powerful.
JamesV3
(New Hampshire)

11/08/2020 8:31 AM  
Our community approved unit owners can install security security cameras with restrictions.
No Drilling from inside to outside, Use Non Penetrating mounts ( can be attatched to siding), Not be directed to another units windows and doors. Be in the area where you have exclusive use.

The 3M heavy duty Velcro works great even in cold climates For Parking lot camera. I used 2 small spring clamps i bought at Harbor Freight for 79 cents each (with 20% off Coupon) for the balcony Camera. See picture for Spring clamp install.

As far as security lights We are having a issue with crime as well I have a post here on security lights we installed 3 Hard wired dusk to dawn lights that are in close proximity to the electrical rooms and 4 motion solar lights. They seem to be working!! No incendents in about 2 months.
JamesV3
(New Hampshire)

11/08/2020 8:32 AM  
pic
ChrisE8
(New York)

11/08/2020 2:40 PM  
Posted By PatriciaL1 on 11/06/2020 10:43 AM
We live in an area that has seen an uptick in home, primarily garage intrusions. We want to "fast track" approval for homeowners who wish to install security cameras and/or motion lights. I know there are some general and specific (ie., privacy) concerns. Does anyone have a "form" they use for approval of these (or other) types of security measures? Would you be wiling to share it with me so that we might have something to start with and then adapt to our community?

I am not talking about the HOA putting up cameras, only individual homeowners. Thank you.

Audio recording is generally illegal, so I would recommend that the policy prohibit cameras that are turned on to audio record.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > security cameras lights arch mod forms

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement