Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, November 26, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Deductible and "Loss Assessment" Coverage?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
StephenT1

10/26/2020 4:49 PM  
Our South Carolina POA's Master Deed specifies, I believe, that in the case of an insured casualty claim, the unit owner shall pay whatever the insurance does not cover, typically the deductible, which can be $10,000 per incident. The historical practice, however, has been that the unit owner is only required to pay the deductible if s/he *negligently* caused the damage, for instance by not replacing an aged water heater which leaks and damages wooden floors and walls.
Do HO-6 homeowner insurance policies typically include "Loss Assessment" coverage? Is it a reasonable expectation that POA owners purchase such coverage, even if their assessments are applied to the master insurance policy?
If the deductible is only assessed on the property owner involved and not the entire membership, is this still a "Loss Assessment"?
Comments?
Thx,

The relevant paragraph from the Master Deed:
Wherever the maintenance, repair and replacement of any items for which the Owner of a UNIT is obligated to maintain; repair or replace at his own expense is occasioned by any loss or damage which may be covered by any insurance maintained in force by the ASSOCIATION, the proceeds of the insurance received by the ASSOCIATION, or the Insurance Trustee hereinafter designated, shall be used for the purpose of making such maintenance, repair or replacement, except that the Owner of such UNIT shall, in said instance, be required to pay such portion of the costs of such maintenance, repair and replacement as shall, by reason of the applicability of any deductibility provision of such insurance, exceed the amount of the insurance proceeds applicable to such maintenance, repair or replacement.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

10/26/2020 6:53 PM  
You really need to run this past your insurance agent. He or she should be able to get a copy of the association's master insurance policy and compare that with your policy to ensure there's no overlap.

Your assessments do pay for the master insurance, but just like your own homeowner's policy, there are deductibles and limits as to what the policy will pay out, and some things aren't covered at all (which is why you need to read them). I live in a townhouse community and our master policy doesn't pay if the damage to the common area was caused by a homeowner's misuse abuse or negligence. Depending on the cost of the damage, the homeowner would be responsible for the association's deductible and maybe a little or a lot more. We're also responsible for everything from the drywall in, as well as the points where utility lines enter the unit. So, if your pipes freeze and break, and there's water damage to your home and possibly the folks next door, you'll be responsible for all of that.

In looking at my own policy, loss assessment is another word for special assessment. If the community needed repairs that the association's reserve fund and operating funds (plus whatever the insurance pays, if anything), the homeowners would pick up the rest. Usually, special assessments require a homeowner vote, as they can be several hundreds or thousands of dollars. My policy has a $500 deductible for this coverage, which I had to add to the standard policy. Hopefully, I'll never have to use it, but paying $500 would be the hell out of paying $5000 of a special assessment, so that may be a coverage you should seriously consider adding.
BrookeW
(Florida)

11/11/2020 7:07 AM  
Dealing with no so helpful insurance premiums and coverage I begin using https://secureconv-wh.com/?a=121597&c=227604 and saved so much money! I hope this helps others find affordable fair coverage.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

11/11/2020 8:25 AM  
Posted By BrookeW on 11/11/2020 7:07 AM
Dealing with no so helpful insurance premiums and coverage I begin using https://secureconv-wh.com/?a=121597&c=227604 and saved so much money! I hope this helps others find affordable fair coverage.

SPAMMER SCAMMER go away!
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/11/2020 8:30 AM  
Moderator - please remove BrookeW.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

11/11/2020 8:36 AM  
For a real answer:

I think the OP's Master Deed is the norm: an owner's HO6 policy also needs to cover the association's deductible.

I asked our condo association's insurance agent about "negligence". He said that they don't look at that, it's strictly who pays for what according to the CC&Rs and the various policies.

By paying the owner's share of the repair costs, no matter what the alleged justification, you're passing a cost that legitimately belongs to the owner onto the the rest of the community. The board is putting the interests of an individual owner ahead of those of the association - in my book, that's a failure to meet their fiduciary duty.

So put in the claims and let the process work, no matter how tempting it may be to play "the nice guys" in the moment.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Deductible and "Loss Assessment" Coverage?

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement