Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, October 28, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Rules of Proxies in Calif HOA loaw
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
MichaelC21
(California)

10/14/2020 4:33 PM  
We are electing officers at our next HOA meeting and 2 of our owners have advised that, since they will not be in attendance they will give authority for an attending member authorization to vote in their stead and have given that proxy to the same person. That just doesn't sound right.

Would someone weigh in on this issue, or point me to a reference that outlines the rules on Proxy voting?
SheliaH
(Indiana)

10/14/2020 4:47 PM  
I'm sure Kerri or someone from California will weigh in on this, but I believe your state does allow for proxy voting. You might want to go to the Davis-Stirling website, which is run by a law firm that specializes in HOA law - it has a lot of good information on many HOA issues including proxies.

There's nothing wrong with two or more people giving a proxy to the same person - when they complete the form, they usually indicate how the person is supposed to vote or give the proxy the authority to vote however they want on their behalf. Sometimes, people collect proxies from their neighbors and walk with a handful of them.

The issue is to ensure the people completing the ballots are eligible to cast a vote, the form is completed correctly (amazing how people sometimes miss things like signatures or sign in pencil) and the proxies are counted properly (in front of everyone else who's attending the meeting).
MichaelC21
(California)

10/14/2020 5:11 PM  
Thanks for your quick response.

Sounds good but there's a form? Where do we get it?

I'm headed to the David-Stirling website right now!
KerryL1
(California)

10/14/2020 5:13 PM  
I think the language here isn't clear, Michael.

Is the meeting the annual meeting of Owners (members) to elect directors?

Or, a Board meeting to elect officers?

Unless your bylaws are very unusual, directors at an open board meeting elect the officers, e.g., prez, etc. This often is called an organizational meeting. Proxies may never be used in board meetings.

The org. meeting usually follows the annual meeting of owners, who've elected directors to the board. Since in CA Owners may vote by mail with secret ballots, no one in my HOA uses proxies any more. There's no requirement to attend the annual meeting and election in person.

So....which is it? Election of officers? Or election of directors, Michael?

KerryL1
(California)

10/14/2020 5:13 PM  
I think the language here isn't clear, Michael.

Is the meeting the annual meeting of Owners (members) to elect directors?

Or, a Board meeting to elect officers?

Unless your bylaws are very unusual, directors at an open board meeting elect the officers, e.g., prez, etc. This often is called an organizational meeting. Proxies may never be used in board meetings.

The org. meeting usually follows the annual meeting of owners, who've elected directors to the board. Since in CA Owners may vote by mail with secret ballots, no one in my HOA uses proxies any more. There's no requirement to attend the annual meeting and election in person.

So....which is it? Election of officers? Or election of directors, Michael?

KerryL1
(California)

10/14/2020 5:16 PM  
(Sorry bout dbl.post)

Michael, are you on the Board?? Even if not, read your Bylaws, FIRST, to see how to do proxies in your HOA. They may not even be permitted.
MichaelC21
(California)

10/14/2020 5:50 PM  
Whew! It's a wonder an HOA ever figures all this out!

Our project has only 9 Units. We stopped mailing out ballets because our board never changes and everyone is ok with the status quo. But now we've got renters with absentee landlords and things are getting complicated.

This is our regular bi-annual meeting and it's time to vote on the board, but we've never had proxy voting; not to mention 2, so I thought I'd check to see if there were issues we should be concerned about. It doesn't look like there is so we'll go ahead.

Thanks for explaining the difference between meeting types; again whew!
MichaelC21
(California)

10/14/2020 6:00 PM  
I'm the Treasurer. Thanks, I'll do that
JohnC77
(Washington)

10/14/2020 6:11 PM  
It sounds like you don't have elections to elect directors but you elect officers.

Remember, owners elect directors and director elect officers. Under no circumstance can any board member give another their proxy to elect an officer!
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Rules of Proxies in Calif HOA loaw

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement