Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, October 28, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Budget Item Question
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
PegM1
(Pennsylvania)

10/08/2020 9:29 AM  
Our HOA budget has a new item added in August 2020. In the HOA August 2020 Income/Expense financial statement it is shown as a Professional Services expense and is named "Employee Incentive Expense." Our HOA has no employees but we do have a contract with a management company. Has anyone ever seen this type of item, or something similar, in their financial statements? I'm just trying to figure out what it may pertain to. I have reached out and asked our Finance committee and treasurer but cannot get a response. Any insight or information is greatly appreciated, thank you!
AugustinD

10/08/2020 9:55 AM  
-- I have not seen such a line item. I have seen line items for bona fide employees of a HOA to attend several day conferences in another state.

-- If there are no employees (as federal law defines employees for tax purposes), then the line item is poorly named, in my opinion.

-- How much is this expense? I would ask the Board at the next open meeting to whom this money is being paid.

-- I suppose it is possible the management company changes its contract and added this to the contract. But if so, I would think this would go into whatever line item covers contractual expenses of the management company.

-- Some boards get cozy with staff, in a one-hand-washes-the-other kind of way. The director speaks highly of staff member X. Staff member X bends rules to ensure the director is re-elected.
ND
(PA)

10/08/2020 10:42 AM  
We could all speculate, but the only way for you to know for sure is to get answers to your question from people directly involved in your HOA who do or should know the answer.

If you've been patient for a while with Treasurer and whoever you contacted on Finance Committee, but answers aren't coming quickly enough for your needs, then reach out to any or all of the following with the same questions . . . the Management Company, HOA Board, and/or other HOA Officers.
JohnC77
(Washington)

10/08/2020 1:38 PM  
It could be a mistake. Depending on the brand of HOA specific software your management company is using, they could have added the wrong line item from a canned chart of accounts.

Are there any monies being budgeted to that line item?
PegM1
(Pennsylvania)

10/08/2020 1:49 PM  
Over $10,000 is budgeted.
JohnC77
(Washington)

10/08/2020 2:04 PM  
There should be absolutely no excuse why you couldn't get a simple answer to a simple question. It's your money, as well as your neighbors.

I would first ask the board, then the management company. If the answer is fishy, I personally would take alternate steps.
PegM1
(Pennsylvania)

10/14/2020 8:55 AM  
AugustinD:

A belated thank you. You always respond with such helpful insight. It is appreciated!
AugustinD

10/14/2020 7:24 PM  
PegM1, I appreciate your kind words. Take care, Augie
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Budget Item Question

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement