Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, October 28, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Submitted petition for removal of 2 out of 3 board directors
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
LisaD12
(Missouri)

10/07/2020 12:10 PM  
We have a variety issues going on in our HOA. One of them is the other two board of directors are spinning our Reserves freely to have rhoa attorney Sim letters to homeowners. One of the directors never cuts his backyard & has beer cans and debris piled up in his backyard. The other director runs a Scentsy business out of her home which is prohibited by the indentures. Many times they don't include me in an email vote because they are majority. The homeowners want them office board. I submitted a petition with greater than 10% of homeowners requesting a special meeting on September 29th. Our management company has not sent notice of special meeting in 8 days. I emailed the rep from the management company this morning sending her that it is her duty to send notice of meeting. This afternoon I received a email from the rep from the management company telling me the HOA attorney wants me to call him. If the attorney wants to talk to me why isn't he calling me? Why would the HOA attorney want to get involved? Jumping back a bit, I want to get rid of the HOA management company because they are overpriced and I'm the one who takes care of the property contacting contractors & meeting the contractors to get bids. The HOA attorney was hired by the management company & seems a little too defensive of the actions of the management company & the other 2 directors... of course the other 2 directors refer file after file to the attorney. The management company doesn't keep minutes or try to keep the HOA in compliance with our indentures or Missouri Nonprofit Corporation Laws.
GenoS
(Florida)

10/07/2020 2:22 PM  
I can't understand this. Beer cans, I understand. But that's about it.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/07/2020 2:28 PM  
I get what she is saying but she is not very clear. It takes a few reads.
AugustinD

10/07/2020 2:31 PM  
Posted By LisaD12 on 10/07/2020 12:10 PM
This afternoon I received a email from the rep from the management company telling me the HOA attorney wants me to call him.
If you do not call the HOA attorney then you are the one dropping the ball, and the Board majority can say that its side tried to talk with you, but you refused. When you do call him, only listen. Commit to nothing. As needed, ask him to put what he is saying in writing.

Afaic, all your other complaints are on a back burner unless you do as reasonably requested.

JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/07/2020 2:43 PM  
Posted By AugustinD on 10/07/2020 2:31 PM
Posted By LisaD12 on 10/07/2020 12:10 PM
This afternoon I received a email from the rep from the management company telling me the HOA attorney wants me to call him.
If you do not call the HOA attorney then you are the one dropping the ball, and the Board majority can say that its side tried to talk with you, but you refused. When you do call him, only listen. Commit to nothing. As needed, ask him to put what he is saying in writing.

Afaic, all your other complaints are on a back burner unless you do as reasonably requested.

I agree.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

10/07/2020 3:44 PM  
Having a Scentsy business is not what a HOA defines as a "business". A HOA CC&R's are referring to those businesses that they say "Put a shingle up". Meaning a professional business like a Beauty shop, doctor's office, or one that drives parking. You can sell "Tupperware" all you want as long as it's in your home and not advertised outside.

Not mowing the backyard is not always required. We only mowed the front yards and back yards were "optional". People could lock their gates and lawncare would not go there. If you did not unlock your gate, then you did not get mowed. So I don't see why a backyard not being mowed if gated and not in open view is a violation as it is just an annoyance.

Why are you going to the MC? This is a HOA matter. The MC is a hired contractor to handle certain HOA business. Removing a member or a board is a HOA membership decision.

So need to get your ducks in a row before jumping down this rabbit hole.

Former HOA President
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

10/07/2020 3:49 PM  
Actually, Melissa may be overstating.

I am not sure what the quotation marks are for around “Put a shingle up.” I’ve never seen any language like that.

I am also pretty certain there are a wide variety of communities with concerns and CCRs reflecting their concerns about home business that increase traffic, street parking, food preparation smells, etc.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

10/10/2020 10:57 AM  
I think what Melissa's referring to is someone putting up a business sign like "Bob's Bakery". That sign could lead to people coming far and wide to buy products and lead to traffic, noise, parking and trash problem. So it's just an expression - As you state, many CCRs address home businesses because of these issues.

There could also be issues with the sign itself, such as someone putting a billboard sized one on postage stamp size yard.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

10/11/2020 4:22 AM  
"Putting up a Shingle" is an old term used for when people may open up a business like "Doctor's office". Or I like to think "The Shrink is in" from Peanuts...

You can have a home business or home office if you work from home. Now a days with the pandemic many people are working from home. That doesn't mean it's a "business". I can sell "Tupperware" from my house but I can't open it up as a store front for "Tupperware".

A business that generates lots of traffic and parking issues is what a HOA has those "No business" rules. It in no way means you can't have a home based business like a Scentsy.

Former HOA President
JenniferG11
(Texas)

10/11/2020 5:42 AM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 10/07/2020 3:49 PM
Actually, Melissa may be overstating.

I am not sure what the quotation marks are for around “Put a shingle up.” I’ve never seen any language like that.

I am also pretty certain there are a wide variety of communities with concerns and CCRs reflecting their concerns about home business that increase traffic, street parking, food preparation smells, etc.

Melissa is a prolific poster just making things up on this board.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

10/11/2020 5:47 AM  
Jennifer,

I disagree.

Your posts make less sense than you believe.

I just noted another as being yet another dead end.
JenniferG11
(Texas)

10/11/2020 5:57 AM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 10/11/2020 5:47 AM
Jennifer,

I disagree.

Your posts make less sense than you believe.

I just noted another as being yet another dead end.

Well, you are dead wrong about that. The condo HOA is responsible for the sub floors, period, as clearly laid out in our docs.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

10/11/2020 6:36 AM  
Sorry, you misunderstood.

Your HOA may be responsible, but your posts are the dead end of which I speak.
JenniferG11
(Texas)

10/11/2020 6:41 AM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 10/11/2020 6:36 AM
Sorry, you misunderstood.

Your HOA may be responsible, but your posts are the dead end of which I speak.

All, I see. A troll. Have a great day!
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

10/11/2020 6:45 AM  
See, this is where you are having the issue.

Your assessment, obviously incorrect, is what you spew ... rather than considering your posts and positions as being abnormal, dismissive and offensive, and unlikely to do anything more than make you feel better.

I will assess, again, your biggest single issue is your inability to work with the COA and Board.
JenniferG11
(Texas)

10/11/2020 7:05 AM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 10/11/2020 6:45 AM
See, this is where you are having the issue.

Your assessment, obviously incorrect, is what you spew ... rather than considering your posts and positions as being abnormal, dismissive and offensive, and unlikely to do anything more than make you feel better.

I will assess, again, your biggest single issue is your inability to work with the COA and Board.

Based on one incident, that is a huge leap. I have lived here 15 years and never had another problem. I've never asked for anything. I am not a complainer. I don't bug them about how the grass was mowed and how many hours it took for the leaves to then come up and all the other tons of things so many people daily go in to ask for and complain about. I leave them alone, I pay my dues, and follow the rules. Your assessment is way off.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

10/11/2020 8:29 AM  
George's assessment is NOT off because you would NOT mention what other people are complaining about if you were NOT thinking or saying the SAME thing. Whether or not your "bothering" the HOA.

Where is it made up of what constitutes as a business? At-home sales businesses that do NOT generate traffic or parking issues is NOT what the HOA means when restricting business. They can if you use your home as nothing but a business. You can't run an auto repair shop out of your garage. You can have a woodshop where you may make crafts to sell at craft shows. If you can't tell the difference then it is all you...

Former HOA President
JenniferG11
(Texas)

10/11/2020 10:20 AM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 10/11/2020 8:29 AM
George's assessment is NOT off because you would NOT mention what other people are complaining about if you were NOT thinking or saying the SAME thing. Whether or not your "bothering" the HOA.

What? No, I listen to this garbage daily from neighbors and know from prior board members and prior CM that this complaining and asking for things not even covered by HOA occurs all day every day.

One of my neighbors put nail polish on leaves to prove that the same ones kept blowing on her porch. Talk about crazy. I have been crazy once in the past 8 years, they have people who are crazy 24/365 bitching at them all the time.

Another owner got pissed at a board member and threw a huge container full of cigarette butts and ashes onto the front entrance of the office. No fine. The volunteer that helps out for free used to help out too much. He dug underground to get to the water controls when locked out of the place that contains the regular controls. Because he is against wasting water and thinks the HOA is always wasting water on watering the grass.

He caused entire buildings to stop having water. Never got a fine. There is plenty of crazy and nonsense going on w/o me.

In fact, that is precisely what our old CM, who was here for a long long time said to me after an episode. I asked why are you all still so nice to me? (him and all the board members). He said 'Because you are a *good person*. And a good member of the HOA. You never complain, you never cause a problem, you never ask for anything. You had a problem this summer that wasn't your fault and we're just glad you are you again'. He specifically said you have NO IDEA what we deal with from other owners all the time. You are a dream owner to us.

JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/11/2020 12:18 PM  
Back to Lisa's question please.
AugustinD

10/11/2020 12:27 PM  
Ditto what JohnC46 said. I think hijacking this thread such that the OP (LisaD12) cannot get answers is incredibly inconsiderate.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Submitted petition for removal of 2 out of 3 board directors

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement