Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, November 29, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Need a New Attorney Florida
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
RebaF
(Florida)

04/25/2006 6:25 AM  
I am the President of our HOA, and we are seeking a new attorney in the Fort Myers area. Our homeowners association presently has an attorney that charges us outrageous fees and doesn't always complete the requested work. If anyone can make any suggestions please send me the law firm name and address, that would be greatly appreciated. We are a small mobile homeowners park that is deed restricted and we need legal help that won't cost us all of our annual maintenance fees. Thanks for any help and advise!
Reba
RogerB
(Colorado)

04/25/2006 7:39 AM  
Reba, I can't help on finding a good attorney in your area but hope you can find one. My advice is for your Board to set up procedures and involve and educate owners. This can result in significantly reducing attorney's expenses. Also, Board members need to be educated on HOA matters to effectively utilize an attorney.
RebaF
(Florida)

04/25/2006 7:58 AM  
Roger, How can I educate myself (more thoroughly) and the rest of my board? Where can I get books, classes etc?? Thanks for your help.
Reba
RogerB
(Colorado)

04/25/2006 11:10 AM  
You could start with this board. Click on search and type in CAI, reference books, or other subjects you are interested in learning about. Go to www.caionline.org for more info on publications and info. In Florida there are 7 chapters of CAI, check out the one near you. They may also have a list of attorneys.
AlbertD
(Florida)

04/28/2006 6:51 PM  
Reba;

I don't know what your Legal & Professional Fee Budget is for 2006 or issues you're likely wishing to address, but a firm I have become impressed with in Ft Myers is ... Becker & Poliakoff, 14241 Metropolis Ave., Ft Myers, Fl., 33912 (239)433-7707.

This firm specializes in condominium and homeowner associations and are very well versed in many of the issues typically facing community associations.

No fee is cheap if the problem is not resolved. Conversely, ANY fee is cheap if the problem IS resolved.
AlbertD
(Florida)

04/28/2006 6:51 PM  
Reba;

I don't know what your Legal & Professional Fee Budget is for 2006 or issues you're likely wishing to address, but a firm I have become impressed with in Ft Myers is ... Becker & Poliakoff, 14241 Metropolis Ave., Ft Myers, Fl., 33912 (239)433-7707.

This firm specializes in condominium and homeowner associations and are very well versed in many of the issues typically facing community associations.

No fee is cheap if the problem is not resolved. Conversely, ANY fee is cheap if the problem IS resolved.
MikeJ
(Florida)

04/29/2006 11:37 AM  
Reba

Becker & Poliakoff is a good firm. We have used them and find their fees reasonable. Plus, they are well versed in association law and have a good newsletter they send out to keep you up to date.

Also, you should read Florida Statute 617 which governs Not-For-Profit organizations (of which the HOA is) and Florida Statutes 720 which governs Homeowners Associations. You can find both these online. Just do a Google search for Florida Statutes. Plus, make sure you read your Declaration, Articles of Incorporation and your By-laws.

I also recommed a book called "The Law of the Florida Homeowners Association" by Peter Dunbar and Charles Dudley. It puts the Florida Statutes in understandable language and gives samples forms. Do a search at Amazon for it.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Need a New Attorney Florida

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement