Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, October 28, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Caution with Posting CC&Rs Information
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
NpB
(Arizona)

10/02/2020 8:45 AM  
A lot of people on this forum harass others into posting CC&Rs verbiage. I'd like to quote from this website's terms of use:

"Always use caution when giving out any personally identifying information about yourself or your children in any Communication Service. HOA Talk.com does not control or endorse the content, messages or information found in any Communication Service and, therefore, HOA Talk.com specifically disclaims any liability with regard to the Communication Services and any actions resulting from your participation in any Communication Service. Managers and hosts are not authorized HOA Talk.com spokespersons, and their views do not necessarily reflect those of HOA Talk.com."

Posting CC&R verbiage into a privately owned public forum such as this should be viewed with caution as one can easily copy and paste that information into a search engine and decipher where you reside.
AugustinD

10/02/2020 8:49 AM  
You're not posting squat from your CC&Rs. The issue is moot when it comes to you.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

10/02/2020 8:52 AM  
nPB,

Nonsense.

Not even a nice try on this obfuscation.

Thousands of posters have excerpted their CCRs without identification of their specific community.

I'm hoping everyone is on to you, now.

And, BTW, to repeat - if you want to post this sort of scenario - and, it is hypothetical - just say so, and you will get answers based on a hypothetical situation.
NpB
(Arizona)

10/02/2020 8:56 AM  
The HOA Talk.com Web Site may contain bulletin board services, chat areas, news groups, forums, communities, personal web pages, calendars, and/or other message or communication facilities designed to enable you to communicate with the public at large or with a group (collectively, "Communication Services"), you agree to use the Communication Services only to post, send and receive messages and material that are proper and related to the particular Communication Service. By way of example, and not as a limitation, you agree that when using a Communication Service, you will not:

Defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the legal rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

10/02/2020 9:11 AM  
CC&Rs are public information, and many states/counties have them available for download on the Recorder's web site.

It's easy to black out the name of the community and other info that could identify the community. Much of the CC&Rs are boiler-plate - even a well-informed person could not read the wording of a particular section and know what community it comes from, because a long list of communities in the same state have identical wording.

So, no one is obligated to post this information, but others have managed to do so successfully without revealing where they live. The few times I've known where a person lives were when the *poster himself* revealed that info in the question.

If you want a reliable answer based on real info, you'll need to quote your CC&Rs. IF you don't care, then don't. Your call.

KerryL1
(California)

10/02/2020 9:14 AM  
How can a g generic citation from any governing docs with the HOA identifying info deleted be a problem?

Posters often misunderstand the language in their docs and the only way that poster can help is know exactly what the docs say.

ND
(PA)

10/02/2020 9:50 AM  
Interesting spin on the instances of people asking you to post content from your documents.

The reason that I and possibly others have requested content verbatim from your documents is so we can read for ourselves what your documents say rather than your paraphrased interpretation of what you think they say. The exact phrasing, terminology, and other content of the documents is important when considering your (typically hypothetical) scenarios so that reasoned/able answers to your questions and situations can be provided.

That said . . . you seem to revel in situations of vagueness, gray areas, uncertainty, what-ifs, and all other undefined/unbounded circumstances, so I understand why you do what you do.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/02/2020 10:39 AM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 10/02/2020 8:52 AM
nPB,

Nonsense.

Not even a nice try on this obfuscation.

Thousands of posters have excerpted their CCRs without identification of their specific community.

I'm hoping everyone is on to you, now.

And, BTW, to repeat - if you want to post this sort of scenario - and, it is hypothetical - just say so, and you will get answers based on a hypothetical situation.

I agree.
TimB4
(Virginia)

10/02/2020 11:00 AM  
Np,

That is why you remove the name of your Association and why the site has the posting rule not to post names, etc.

If someone wants to provide/cite sections of their governing documents, that is fine.
If someone does not want to provide/cite sections of their governing documents, that is fine.

Opinions are based on experience, research and the information a poster provides.

The more informed someone is, the better chance of obtaining an opinion that is accurate and helpful.

Therefore, posters take the chance of getting bad opinions if they desire not to post additional info (i.e. where they are getting their info from).

In my opinion, it's time to let this issue be concluded.

MelissaP1
(Alabama)

10/02/2020 3:54 PM  
Amen TimB. Best advice is given by those best informed. How do you get informed? By sharing accurate information from which to make decisions or opinions.

HOA documents are PUBLIC except for By-laws. However, by-laws are often filed with CC&R's and which makes them public. Otherwise they are for member's only.

No one here by definition has "harrassed" you. You ask a question and don't like an answer doesn't make it harrassment.

Former HOA President
NpB
(Arizona)

10/02/2020 4:10 PM  
A lot of county recorder/clerk websites allow you search recorded documents using phrases, keywords, etc.. Knowing the behavior of some posters on here, I am very cautious of posting direct quotations.
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

10/02/2020 4:41 PM  
Posted By NpB on 10/02/2020 4:10 PM
A lot of county recorder/clerk websites allow you search recorded documents using phrases, keywords, etc.. Knowing the behavior of some posters on here, I am very cautious of posting direct quotations.

You've got a point. Studies have shown that stalkers and other dangerous criminals are attracted to online HOA related forums.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/02/2020 5:16 PM  

Man oh Mn. What a cop out.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

10/02/2020 5:21 PM  
Yeah, and nPB is still posting on another thread on dog walking - without providing the language from docs.

Just more silliness from an evasive personality.
AugustinD

10/02/2020 5:24 PM  
A lot of county recorder/clerk websites allow you search recorded documents using phrases, keywords, etc.
Please name a county recorder / clerk web site that allows one to search for recorded documents using a phrase from a covenant.
GenoS
(Florida)

10/02/2020 10:48 PM  
Posted By AugustinD on 10/02/2020 5:24 PM
Please name a county recorder / clerk web site that allows one to search for recorded documents using a phrase from a covenant.

Seconded. My county's website for Official Records doesn't have that functionality and from what I've seen, my county's site is extremely easy to navigate and search, unlike many of the neighboring counties where the search tools are primitive and unfriendly.

Searching by names, lot tax number, official book & page numbers, date of recording, addresses... and a few other fields is very simple. But you can't search for a word or phrase that occurs inside the document. Anything you download is a PDF file but they haven't been OCR'ed so even building a word or text search index isn't even possible.

It might be possible in some counties but worrying about that is much ado about nothing IMO.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

10/03/2020 5:29 AM  
Posted By GenoS on 10/02/2020 10:48 PM
Posted By AugustinD on 10/02/2020 5:24 PM

Seconded. My county's website for Official Records doesn't have that functionality and from what I've seen, my county's site is extremely easy to navigate and search, unlike many of the neighboring counties where the search tools are primitive and unfriendly.

Searching by names, lot tax number, official book & page numbers, date of recording, addresses... and a few other fields is very simple. But you can't search for a word or phrase that occurs inside the document. Anything you download is a PDF file but they haven't been OCR'ed so even building a word or text search index isn't even possible.

It might be possible in some counties but worrying about that is much ado about nothing IMO.

Thirded.

By and large, the PDFs on the recorder's web site are *scanned*. In other words, they're stored images, not text, and often fairly poor quality images.

Anyone who is that concerned about privacy should probably not be posting on the web at all, let alone leaving an extensive trail of postings that *are* searchable. The content of numerous postings do allow curious folks to form a likely picture of the poster and to narrow down who and where that person is. Boilerplate legalese doesn't do that, not to the extent that a person's own words do.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Caution with Posting CC&Rs Information

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement