Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, September 24, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Easements
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
LetA
(Nevada)

09/16/2020 8:40 AM  
If an HOA seeks an easement from an owner to place a traffic directional sign and the outmost edge of the property line, does that easement need to be recorded to the deed?
TimB4
(Virginia)

09/16/2020 2:19 PM  
In my opinion, yes.

There may already be a utility easement in place.
TimB4
(Virginia)

09/16/2020 2:22 PM  
If no easement currently exists, then the whole placement, etc. should go through attorneys.

Otherwise, one owner could say you can use the land and a future owner can say you can't use it.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

09/16/2020 2:41 PM  
Are the roads public or private? That makes a difference. Don't believe you can remove a Stop Sign or other traffic signs without penalty of law. Plus if there needs to be a sign installed the city/public entity needs to be involved. You can't just randomly put up a street sign. There is some more legal stuff involved with public sources.

Former HOA President
LetA
(Nevada)

09/16/2020 8:35 PM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 09/16/2020 2:41 PM
Are the roads public or private? That makes a difference. Don't believe you can remove a Stop Sign or other traffic signs without penalty of law. Plus if there needs to be a sign installed the city/public entity needs to be involved. You can't just randomly put up a street sign. There is some more legal stuff involved with public sources.

Private, gated. Adding a stop sign

GenoS
(Florida)

09/16/2020 8:45 PM  
Would the local/county/state traffic department have any say? Our original plan of development was rejected by the county 30 years ago because it lacked certain signage along the roads like a few "keep right" signs at the traffic islands.
LetA
(Nevada)

09/16/2020 8:54 PM  
I am befuddled on one issue. Since this was developed and since the first home was built, stop signs were placed in the community. some were placed along sidewalks where the plats clearly state the HOA granted easements for sidewalks making them common elements of the community. One particular stop sign was placed at the outer most edge of a homesite. There is no indication on the plats that the HOA was granted an easement to place that stop sign there. I think I would need to go to the county to do some digging, but one would think that the developer would have paced that indication on the plats.

I am just one out of two board members along with a handful of owners that are tired of one street in our community being used as a quarter mile drag strip. I feel it may help by erecting two stop signs, one in each direction. One side has a side walk the other does not.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

09/16/2020 9:47 PM  
You have to do it legally or it is unenforceable. You can not just add a sign like stop because feel like it.

Former HOA President
JeffS31
(Virginia)

09/21/2020 12:16 PM  
I am not a lawyer but the very definition of an easement means that it has to be recorded in the deed. Otherwise it's just a friendly agreement.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

09/21/2020 12:20 PM  
I say private and gated you can add any signs, anywhere.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement