Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, September 24, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Conflict Of Interest Question
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
MikeM46
(Alabama)

09/16/2020 8:26 AM  
We have a long standing Board member who's husband is employed by the Landscape Company contracted by the HOA. It has come to light that we have not bid out this contract in 12 years. Most of the Board members agreed that was too long and when the contract comes back up it should be bid based on a provided scope of work. Obviously this has created tension between said Board member and the requested action once contract expires. Said Board member was recently elected as Treasurer and our monthly reports we have each month now do not show our highest 2 contract payments we have (Landscape and Management Company.)
Am I reading too much into this or should it be a cause of concern?

Thanks
Mike (Sitting President of HOA)
CathyA3
(Ohio)

09/16/2020 9:39 AM  
Yes, it is a cause for concern because the board member has a financial interest in the outcome of any vote on a landscaping contract. That's the definition of conflict of interest.

At the very least she should recuse herself from any discussions and voting on the awarding of the contract. I include the discussions as well since she can provide information that would give her husband's company an unfair advantage. And I believe in re-bidding contracts regularly - it helps keep people honest and on their toes.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

09/16/2020 9:41 AM  
Forgot to mention, your financials need to include all relevant information, so she needs to be called on the missing info. And if it's not an honest mistake, the board should consider removing her from her officer position.
KerryL1
(California)

09/16/2020 9:49 AM  
You do have an "interested" director with respects to the landscaping firm. She may not vote on any aspect of the firm's work. You can even ask her to leave the room when discussing this vendor's contract, performance, etc. so that all directors feel they can speak freely.

This should not create "tension" because it's standard procedure when there's a conflict of interest. If you have access to an HOA attorney fro quick free phone calls, ask her/him to explain this.

If she will not provide monthly expenses for landscaping and management, vote her out of the office of treasurer and appoint someone else.

Your property manage may be able to help with the financials.
AugustinD

09/16/2020 9:52 AM  
A former HOA of mine had a director who owned a landscaping business. For several years, the HOA contracted with this director's landscaping business. Enough members got wind of it that they voted the director off the board. Self-dealing like this is outrageous. If the board insists on continuing to contract with this landscaping company, disclosures must be massive. Also it's highly likely that the director is (or will be) sharing with her spouse the bids from other landscapers, in violation of laws nationwise on bidding (generally speaking). I agree with CathyA3 and KerryL'1's advice.
MikeM46
(Alabama)

09/16/2020 9:56 AM  
Thanks all who have replied. This has been helpful.

With regards to removing the dollar amounts paid from the monthly Treasurers report, it is the base monthly fee that was being removed from the report which is posted on the neighborhood websites we post our minutes in. I see all the financials that the Management Company sends over and all matches. The last 7 years have included said amounts for residents to see. Transparency was my thought. It just struck me as odd when this happened last night. Just another flag
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Conflict Of Interest Question

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement