Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, September 24, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Best Way to Resign? (The Board is CRAZY)
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JenniferD8
(Michigan)

09/15/2020 8:43 PM  
I just returned from an "informational" meeting that the President called for just myself (grounds), the director in charge of buildings and the treasurer. I questioned if this meeting was legal, since a quorum was present -- but they told me it wasn't a big deal. (Hmm?)

The meeting was to discuss the budget for next year. The treasurer and president indicated that they need to watch the spending, so they told me that since I'm in charge of grounds it would be my job to weed 181 units, pick up sticks, fix sprinklers and any other yardwork not covered by our lawncare and fertilizer companies. At first I was stunned -- thinking they must be joking. Then, I was pissed. These two are complete idiots.

In my first year, I have volunteered a lot of hours for this association by spreading rocks around some of the buildings, mulching around the trees, meeting with residents regarding their work requests, hiring/ negotiating contracts for lawncare, arborists, snowplow service, fertilizing, sealcoating of roads, etc. I even developed a website for the association.

I'm looking for your suggestions for the best way to resign. I have a lot of ideas on wording, but I don't want the letter to be fueled with emotion.
AugustinD

09/15/2020 9:26 PM  
I believe people rarely care about the content of verbose resignation letters. The resignation either gets people's attention, or it does not.

To me, the most impressive style is an email stating simply:

Dear Board of Directors, effective immediately I resign as a director and officer. Jane Doe
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

09/15/2020 10:29 PM  
I would notify all of the illegal meeting, what had been asked, etc ... be clear and calm.

Don’t resign, start a recall - if you resign, they will.
SueW6
(Michigan)

09/16/2020 2:08 AM  
Be sure you notify all contractors that you are no longer the contact person for the association. Get your name and phone number off any vendors business that have done business with the association.

Another thing that you could say in your resignation letter is that you are unable to carry out any Volunteer duties due to budget constraints, because that’s basically what they have done is by cutting back on the budget. They have prevented maintenance from being done due to foolish austerity.

Enjoy your freedom. Life is too short to not be valued for your volunteer work.

CathyA3
(Ohio)

09/16/2020 5:34 AM  
"I resign effective immediately."

I would agree about a recall effort if it appeared that there were other like-minded owners who would participate and spread the work around. It sounds like there aren't. You can't save homeowners from themselves, and when it gets right down to it, the have the same obligations to their community as you do. They get the boards that they deserve. You've done your share, and then some.

(Been there, done that, not even a lousy t-shirt to show for my efforts. It does get annoying when you see all of your hard work being undone after you resign, though. I try not to look.)
MarkM19
(Texas)

09/16/2020 5:58 AM  
Jennifer,
So I can only assume you have a 7 Member board. If you had a 5 member board and 3 of you met and discussed board activities and duties it should have been considered a Executive session meeting.

I would have asked them what extra duties are they doing to help with this financial issue? There is always ways to trim corners when money is tight. I personally would start by bringing all of our paid contractors in one at a time and ask them how they can reduce their overhead. If they say they are unwilling I would say we are going to get 3 bids for your services and see what happens. It is much easier for a Vendor to keep an account than get a new one. They will normally give you a discount.
JenniferD8
(Michigan)

09/16/2020 6:34 AM  
We have a 7 member board. Four were in attendance at the meeting yesterday. During the meeting, a board member (not in attendance at the meeting) sent her resignation.

The hypocrisy of this situation is the fact that both the treasurer and president are paid. They were the ones that made this recommendation. I'm strictly a volunteer board member. I brought on new contractors last year, so I know their bids were reasonable and in line with their competition. I even told the board a month ago that we could save $7400 by paying the lawn care contract in full for next year. I think the main issue is that I have been questioning board compensation and other questionable operations of the board. Now, the penance given to me is to personally maintain 40 acres of the development. Lol!
ND
(PA)

09/16/2020 7:21 AM  
I have a lot more questions on the makeup of your Board and Officer positions, but not sure it's worthwhile to ask if you've already decided to resign . . . your situation sounds rather interesting and unusual.

A simple response to them telling you that your job is to now maintain the grounds . . . "no". Not sure how you got on the Board or became an Officer if you even are an Officer (I've never heard of a "grounds" Officer . . . Officers are typically Pres, VP, Treasurer, Secretary). But they likely can't fire you or remove you from the Board, and they certainly can't force you to do unpaid maintenance of your entire community, so just telling them "no" is a simple end to what they've laid in front of you.

It's likely that if you resign, then you are doing exactly what they want and expect. You've questioned their compensation and other operations (which is most certainly unusual and worthy of questioning), so they want you gone. I suggest not resigning for now to see how things play out and what you can do from the inside. You've uncovered some issues that need resolution for yourself and for your community. Unless you plan to move out, you resigning from the Board will minimize the power you presently have to get information, understand the workings of the Board, and be involved in decision-making. If you resign and stay in the community, you will lose much of that access, and then you'll still be subjected to the assessments, some of which you now know is going to compensation of Board Members who appear less than ethical.

But it all comes down to your overall desire to fight the apparent corruption as well as your interest and capacity in dealing with the most certain effort, uneasiness, stress, nastiness, etc. that will come from fighting however many Board Members there are that might be benefiting from the status quo. Sometimes it's better overall to just walk away.
MarkM19
(Texas)

09/16/2020 7:24 AM  
Jennifer,
So if you had 4 members in attendance and you were talking about Board business it was a Board meeting. Quorum was established and if it was not posted in advance it would be considered illegal. Not sure that it means much to the owners in your HOA.

Not sure why 2 Board members are being paid but I am assuming your Bylaws and CC&Rs allow this to be done. It appears that you are also self managed.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

09/16/2020 7:52 AM  
Posted By ND on 09/16/2020 7:21 AM
... snip ...

A simple response to them telling you that your job is to now maintain the grounds . . . "no". Not sure how you got on the Board or became an Officer if you even are an Officer (I've never heard of a "grounds" Officer . . . Officers are typically Pres, VP, Treasurer, Secretary). But they likely can't fire you or remove you from the Board, and they certainly can't force you to do unpaid maintenance of your entire community, so just telling them "no" is a simple end to what they've laid in front of you.

... snip ...

Adding to what ND said, using volunteers to do physical labor doesn't necessarily save money because the association has to add workers comp or similar insurance in case the volunteer is injured on the property. And it's unsustainable because most folks don't move to HOAs or COAs in order to take on a second, unpaid job.

I second what another commenter said: unless you really really love your community or something else is keeping you there, you should consider walking away before this nonsense catches up to the community and home values fall as a result.
JenniferD8
(Michigan)

09/16/2020 8:17 AM  
We are self-managed. The treasurer has been on the board since 1995 and the president for 15 years. Both have a tight bond where they scheme and twist details to benefit their interests. I think I have collected enough evidence from the past year to prove their ineptness. The treasurer is pushing 90 and showing a lot of incompetence. I know it sounds harsh, but it's almost better to wait a couple of years and then rejoin the board to make changes (if I'm still living here). There were three board members that have been fighting for change. Unfortunately, one of the good ones resigned last night because she was tired of the stress. Elections are coming up next month. There were 2 positions opening up with 3 candidates. 2 of the candidates are current board members wanting to extend their term. Now that there's 3 open positions, all of them will be on the board. The president was trying to block/delay the election, because he didn't want the one person on the board. Now,she will be by default. I admit that I'm not a fan of this person either, but it may force the treasurer/president partnership to end. This is my first time living in a condo and dealing with an HOA. Who knew there would be so much drama?!
GenoS
(Florida)

09/16/2020 1:39 PM  
Posted By AugustinD on 09/15/2020 9:26 PM
I believe people rarely care about the content of verbose resignation letters. The resignation either gets people's attention, or it does not.

To me, the most impressive style is an email stating simply:

Dear Board of Directors, effective immediately I resign as a director and officer. Jane Doe

When I resigned a couple of years ago I used a very simple letter. In Florida all resignations must be in writing. I do think added details are unimportant and no one will care much about them anyway.

The template for my resignation letter can be found here: Simple Resignation Letter. The names and positions all modified as approptiate, of course
GenoS
(Florida)

09/16/2020 1:40 PM  
One more thing. If you think you MIGHT change your mind, include a future date for the resignation to be effective. In Florida, anyway, you can change your mind before that date and withdraw your resignation.
JenniferD8
(Michigan)

09/16/2020 2:03 PM  
I ended up penning a resignation today and sending it to all the board members. Three board members were unaware that there was even a meeting last night, so I thought it best to clue them in.

This is notification that I'm resigning from the board effective immediately.

I regret not being able to fulfill my 3-year term, however, after last evening's meeting it's apparent that the new expectations unilaterally determined by the treasurer and president would make my volunteer board position an impossible feat.

In addition to my current tasks, it was suggested that I increase my workload by personally repairing sprinklers, picking up lawn debris, weeding the grounds for the entire complex, etc.  The additional time needed, not to mention the physically demanding work, is beyond unreasonable.  Not to mention the hypocrisy of having two paid board members make this recommendation as a cost-saving measure.

While it's unfortunate that the board is not only  mismanaged, but also misguided in properly operating a condo association, I will hold my head high in knowing what I accomplished this past year.

I wish you all luck in the coming year.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

09/16/2020 2:44 PM  
Okay you resigned. Now what? You just lost any kind of say or vote to change things. Now considered yourself "controlled" by the mismanaged board.

Former HOA President
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

09/16/2020 3:03 PM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 09/16/2020 2:44 PM
Okay you resigned. Now what? You just lost any kind of say or vote to change things. Now considered yourself "controlled" by the mismanaged board.

She gets to reduce the stress and aggravation in her life. This is an individual choice for all of us.
JenniferD8
(Michigan)

09/16/2020 3:24 PM  
You're exactly right, JohnT38. According to my calculations, I have until next Spring to sell and move on. Starting in May, I surmise the weeds in the development will start to grow and look unruly. I feel bad for the residents, but I need to keep my sanity.
TimB4
(Virginia)

09/16/2020 4:15 PM  
Posted By JohnT38 on 09/16/2020 3:03 PM
Posted By MelissaP1 on 09/16/2020 2:44 PM

She gets to reduce the stress and aggravation in her life. This is an individual choice for all of us.

AMEN

I got back 20 hours a month in my life.
I got back less stress.

All I can do is know I did the best I could during the time I served.
That I put in place procedures and processes that made it easier for those who followed.
I made some good friends in the process.
I met many neighbors in the process.

I have zero control if what I set up is utilized.

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Best Way to Resign? (The Board is CRAZY)

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement