Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, September 24, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Non Traditional Candidate Statement
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
NpB
(Arizona)

09/14/2020 3:57 PM  
Have you ever come across a non-traditional candidate statement that is very direct about general philosophical governance and general organizational ideology?

If so, do you have a link to an example of such a candidate statement with redacted personal information?
TimB4
(Virginia)

09/14/2020 5:46 PM  
Please define "non-traditional candidate"
KerryL1
(California)

09/14/2020 6:05 PM  
What are "general organizational ideologies?" Macro theories of human organizations? Or micro theories of face-to-face interactions in orgs?

What, also, is "general philosophical [of?] governance?" Political philosophy, e.g., Hobbes, Locke, Rousseau, Marx, etc.?
AugustinD

09/14/2020 6:08 PM  
Lol at KerryL1's excellent query.
JohnC77
(Washington)

09/14/2020 6:27 PM  
I probably have about 400 candidate statements in my files. General statement, " Have lived in my community for xxx years and think I would be a good board member" or "lived in the community for xxx years and want to finally do something about those damn plumber's trucks".
NpB
(Arizona)

09/14/2020 6:57 PM  
Posted By TimB4 on 09/14/2020 5:46 PM
Please define "non-traditional candidate"

Non traditional candidate STATEMENT.

Something other than what looks like a resume for a salesperson job.
NpB
(Arizona)

09/14/2020 6:59 PM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 09/14/2020 6:05 PM
What are "general organizational ideologies?" Macro theories of human organizations? Or micro theories of face-to-face interactions in orgs?

What, also, is "general philosophical [of?] governance?" Political philosophy, e.g., Hobbes, Locke, Rousseau, Marx, etc.?

Philosophy of how an HOA should be run. Not yielding to personal agendas, angry mobs, etc..
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

09/14/2020 8:32 PM  
Ha ha ha ha ha I am rolling here!!! Do not let me out of the HOA bubble and into the real world!!! Just can not....

Former HOA President
GenoS
(Florida)

09/15/2020 12:44 AM  
"- Start each meeting in prayer to God."

Before my time here. The candidate who wrote that didn't get elected. Not that anyone here is really anti-religion in any way, but that was literally her only reason to run for the board.
TimB4
(Virginia)

09/15/2020 4:09 AM  
NP,

Never saw such a thing.

Someone who wants to run for an office often needs to be a salesperson (or hire one) to sell themselves to the voters.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

09/15/2020 4:31 AM  
We had a mayoral candidate a few years ago whom was running because he wanted to stop people from being "chipped". He believed that people were having "chips" put in them to "control their minds".

If you showed up to the election meeting and raised your hand, you were elected in our HOA. Usually followed by the statement "Well if we need someone I will do it..." Yep, that is how we filled our seats... LOL!

Former HOA President
CathyA3
(Ohio)

09/15/2020 7:16 AM  
Posted By GenoS on 09/15/2020 12:44 AM
"- Start each meeting in prayer to God."

Before my time here. The candidate who wrote that didn't get elected. Not that anyone here is really anti-religion in any way, but that was literally her only reason to run for the board.

Oh, I don't think that's so outlandish. I'm sure many board members start meetings with a silent "heaven help us". :-)

... I'll just get my coat, shall ? ....
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

09/15/2020 9:51 AM  
We fill our BOD vacancies at the annual by begging people to join the BOD.
BillH10
(Texas)

09/15/2020 10:12 AM  
Many of those I have seen contain "teaser" comments such as:

"My primary goal will be to decrease the assessments by 20%."

These are most commonly submitted by those who have never attended a meeting or asked to review the association financials.

The most recent statement received from a candidate on a mission to lower the assessment also contained the statement he would work with the City to introduce competition for electricity in our service area. We are located in the service area of an electrical co-op which dates to sometime in the 1930s. All of us served own a fraction of the company. The co-op is not regulated now nor has it ever been, hence it was not 'deregulated' when doing so was popular in this state about 15 years ago. The co-op remains a monopoly, the rates are superb as is the service. We never have outages.
NpB
(Arizona)

09/15/2020 12:29 PM  
Posted By TimB4 on 09/15/2020 4:09 AM
NP,

Never saw such a thing.

Someone who wants to run for an office often needs to be a salesperson (or hire one) to sell themselves to the voters.

Correct, but professing how great you are in your career often doesn't translate to being a good Board member.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

09/15/2020 2:04 PM  
Posted By BillH10 on 09/15/2020 10:12 AM
Many of those I have seen contain "teaser" comments such as:

"My primary goal will be to decrease the assessments by 20%."

These are most commonly submitted by those who have never attended a meeting or asked to review the association financials.

The most recent statement received from a candidate on a mission to lower the assessment also contained the statement he would work with the City to introduce competition for electricity in our service area. We are located in the service area of an electrical co-op which dates to sometime in the 1930s. All of us served own a fraction of the company. The co-op is not regulated now nor has it ever been, hence it was not 'deregulated' when doing so was popular in this state about 15 years ago. The co-op remains a monopoly, the rates are superb as is the service. We never have outages.

Statements like that will get people elected.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

09/15/2020 2:16 PM  
What?
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

09/15/2020 3:51 PM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 09/15/2020 2:16 PM
What?

I was being facetious. Run on a platform of increasing dues and spending. See how far you get.

On my present BOD, 4 of we 5 realize we will need a 10 to 15% dues increase going into 2022 but I assure you, none of us will run on this platform but re-elect us and it will happen.
KerryL1
(California)

09/15/2020 5:21 PM  
I don't know if it's non-traditional, but a couple of ppl who ran for the Board last Oct. embraced a philosophy of openness and transparency. This made sense given the secrecy of the then-Board, which many owners did notice.

If a candidate does attend board meetings, they should point that out. They might add the they read all amiable material on ur website to keep up with our finances, etc. I guess this would be a philosophy of the importance of trying to be an informed owners.

If seeking reelection, best to name accomplishments as as Board of member thereof. Even better, name initiatives.

Three of our encumbants were defeated last year. To me, their biggest mistakes were listing no accomplishments, and ignoring a very controversial initiative of theirs that many owners disliked. They also expressed no affection or positive feelings about our HOA. I think that might have helped. Two broke our Candidate statement rules and attached CVs to their one-page permitted statement.

One, from an academic economist, was 7 pages long & covered his area back to the 1970s. The second was three pages long, from a lawyer, and covered his career back to the 1980s. This overkill, imo, hurt them a lot.

GeorgeS21
(Florida)

09/15/2020 5:53 PM  
sorry John ... the “What?” was for the OP.
NpB
(Arizona)

09/15/2020 6:34 PM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 09/15/2020 5:21 PM
I don't know if it's non-traditional, but a couple of ppl who ran for the Board last Oct. embraced a philosophy of openness and transparency. This made sense given the secrecy of the then-Board, which many owners did notice.

If a candidate does attend board meetings, they should point that out. They might add the they read all amiable material on ur website to keep up with our finances, etc. I guess this would be a philosophy of the importance of trying to be an informed owners.

If seeking reelection, best to name accomplishments as as Board of member thereof. Even better, name initiatives.

Three of our encumbants were defeated last year. To me, their biggest mistakes were listing no accomplishments, and ignoring a very controversial initiative of theirs that many owners disliked. They also expressed no affection or positive feelings about our HOA. I think that might have helped. Two broke our Candidate statement rules and attached CVs to their one-page permitted statement.

One, from an academic economist, was 7 pages long & covered his area back to the 1970s. The second was three pages long, from a lawyer, and covered his career back to the 1980s. This overkill, imo, hurt them a lot.

I agree that long candidate statements with too much information about careers is boring, irrelevant and if the candidate saying nothing about her/his ideology about HOA issues, they are trying to hide something.

HOA where I reside, owners rarely attend meetings and do not know about agitators and those with personal agendas making life unpleasant for the Board. Want to inform the membership about not yielding to the mob or personal agendas and being very direct about representing ALL. I was wondering if anyone came across a non traditional candidate statement that was definitely different and stood out for being extremely transparent, honest and not written by a career coach.
NpB
(Arizona)

09/16/2020 10:26 AM  
Posted By JohnC77 on 09/14/2020 6:27 PM
I probably have about 400 candidate statements in my files. General statement, " Have lived in my community for xxx years and think I would be a good board member" or "lived in the community for xxx years and want to finally do something about those damn plumber's trucks".

So nothing non traditional?
BarbaraT1
(Texas)

09/16/2020 11:01 AM  
I have seen two. One guy promised to dissolve the HOA and the other guy said he was running because "we're all sick of your bullsh#t Roger". (Not the same association).
NpB
(Arizona)

09/16/2020 4:27 PM  
Posted By BarbaraT1 on 09/16/2020 11:01 AM
I have seen two. One guy promised to dissolve the HOA and the other guy said he was running because "we're all sick of your bullsh#t Roger". (Not the same association).

Did those candidates win a seat on the Board?
KerryL1
(California)

09/16/2020 5:19 PM  
NpB: "HOA where I reside, owners rarely attend meetings and do not know about agitators and those with personal agendas making life unpleasant for the Board. Want to inform the membership about not yielding to the mob or personal agendas and being very direct about representing ALL."

This is confusing. If few owners don't know about some who attend Board meetings being agitators & trying to bully the Board, how would you bring it up in a candidate statement? You'd have to tell owners that part first. The problem sounds like a weak board and presider who do not know how or are too timid to take steps to have a civil productive meeting. The problem doesn't seem to have a ideological solution, but just a practical "How to Run an HOA Meeting" approach.

A couple of our winners last year stated they'd show respect to all owners at meetings + the transparency I mentioned above. There was a sense of a philosophy of civil, respectful quasi democratic governance. This v. the secretive, arbitrary behavior of the three voted out.

Imo, statements also should show how the candidates will uphold the governing documents. They do not say that directors assure all owners have a voice and that all owners are treated equally. What do YOURS say, NpB, about the duties of the Board?

It might be quite fresh to write: "My philosophy is to take our governing documents very seriously. They say that as a director, I must protect, maintain and enhance our common areas. That is my intention while practicing prudent financial management with my board colleagues." This also conveys a philosophy of valuing "team players."

I'll have to dig through a file to find our successful statements & pluck some key phrases.

BarbaraT1
(Texas)

09/17/2020 8:03 AM  
Posted By NpB on 09/16/2020 4:27 PM
Posted By BarbaraT1 on 09/16/2020 11:01 AM

Did those candidates win a seat on the Board?

The second one did. I guess a lot of people were tired of Roger.
GenoS
(Florida)

09/17/2020 4:19 PM  
Posted By NpB on 09/15/2020 6:34 PM
I agree that long candidate statements with too much information about careers is boring, irrelevant and if the candidate saying nothing about her/his ideology about HOA issues, they are trying to hide something.

I agree with that except that I would assume they're clueless before thinking they're hiding something. We perennially have candidates who submit multiple pages for their candidate information form. When I was the Secretary one year we got several that were 5 pages long. I called the candidates and told them the statutes say 1 page, 8.5 x 11, single sided. A couple of them revised their statements quickly. One did not respond so I used his first page and discarded the rest.

Those people weren't hiding anything. They were announcing out loud that they didn't actually read the call for candidates which plainly said they could submit a ONE PAGE information sheet. People think, for some reason, they need to have a resume.
NpB
(Arizona)

09/18/2020 3:31 PM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 09/16/2020 5:19 PM
NpB: "HOA where I reside, owners rarely attend meetings and do not know about agitators and those with personal agendas making life unpleasant for the Board. Want to inform the membership about not yielding to the mob or personal agendas and being very direct about representing ALL."

This is confusing. If few owners don't know about some who attend Board meetings being agitators & trying to bully the Board, how would you bring it up in a candidate statement? You'd have to tell owners that part first. The problem sounds like a weak board and presider who do not know how or are too timid to take steps to have a civil productive meeting. The problem doesn't seem to have a ideological solution, but just a practical "How to Run an HOA Meeting" approach.

A couple of our winners last year stated they'd show respect to all owners at meetings + the transparency I mentioned above. There was a sense of a philosophy of civil, respectful quasi democratic governance. This v. the secretive, arbitrary behavior of the three voted out.

Imo, statements also should show how the candidates will uphold the governing documents. They do not say that directors assure all owners have a voice and that all owners are treated equally. What do YOURS say, NpB, about the duties of the Board?

It might be quite fresh to write: "My philosophy is to take our governing documents very seriously. They say that as a director, I must protect, maintain and enhance our common areas. That is my intention while practicing prudent financial management with my board colleagues." This also conveys a philosophy of valuing "team players."

I'll have to dig through a file to find our successful statements & pluck some key phrases.

I like your suggestion phrase about taking the governing documents very seriously. If you find any more well-written non-generic and non-traditional ones, please post.
NpB
(Arizona)

09/21/2020 11:52 AM  
Posted By GenoS on 09/17/2020 4:19 PM
Posted By NpB on 09/15/2020 6:34 PM

I agree with that except that I would assume they're clueless before thinking they're hiding something. We perennially have candidates who submit multiple pages for their candidate information form. When I was the Secretary one year we got several that were 5 pages long. I called the candidates and told them the statutes say 1 page, 8.5 x 11, single sided. A couple of them revised their statements quickly. One did not respond so I used his first page and discarded the rest.

Those people weren't hiding anything. They were announcing out loud that they didn't actually read the call for candidates which plainly said they could submit a ONE PAGE information sheet. People think, for some reason, they need to have a resume.

I think sometimes it might take multiple pages to educate the uninformed about what is occurring in the community and to express ideology in detail.
GenoS
(Florida)

09/21/2020 2:09 PM  
It might but the statute is clear. One single-sided page. You could write a book about the problems in my HOA past, present, and (if things don't change) future. If people feel the need to write more than one page I'd encourage them to get out and talk more with their neighbors.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Non Traditional Candidate Statement

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement