Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, September 24, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Refunding overpayment of Assessments
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
LetA
(Nevada)

09/04/2020 12:49 PM  
Are HOA Boards, MC's obligated to refund an accidental, incidental overpayment of monthly assessments?

Long story short, The bank our HOA uses to process monthly, quarterly assessments all the sudden has issues with using their site to make payments for us mac owners using Safari web browser.

When I went to make Septembers monthly assessment, I found that the webpage for the bank was freshly updated with graphics, with the update the bank did not retain any HOA account information.
When I submitted my payment, it immediately timed out and I had a pop-up window with an option to cancel the transaction. I cancelled that transaction, I checked my email to make sure the payment did not process. I then switched to Firefox and made a successful payment. Later I saw two emails for payments.

I tried to email both accounting and the MC and received no response. I called accounting only to be told me no they will not refund it. Accounting also told me they were only made aware of the Bank Changes September 1st which I know is a LIE because I called the HOA bank early, 7 am on Monday morning to see if they could kill one of the payments before it posted, I was 20 minutes too late calling them to do so. The agent for the bank told me the MC's were made well aware of the changes more than a month in advance to prepare people paying their assessments.

I am forced to dispute the charge with my bank, which I will happily do, and thankfully I took a screen shot of the cancellation page.

I just feel the MC should take the easy road and issue the refund without incident, What say you?
CathyA3
(Ohio)

09/04/2020 1:00 PM  
If it were me, I'd consider it a early payment for the coming month and let it go. It's not like I'd earn enough interest on that early payment to justify the time and aggravation of trying to get a refund. My time is worth more than that.

Is there a reason you don't want to do that?

AugustinD

09/04/2020 1:05 PM  
Ditto CathyA3's response. I'd be annoyed at the incompetence at the bank (HOA?) end but I would also remember that, to me, there are bigger things about which to be annoyed today.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

09/04/2020 1:14 PM  
Posted By AugustinD on 09/04/2020 1:05 PM
Ditto CathyA3's response. I'd be annoyed at the incompetence at the bank (HOA?) end but I would also remember that, to me, there are bigger things about which to be annoyed today.

I agree.
JohnC77
(Washington)

09/04/2020 2:12 PM  
This happens to us and after verified, the monies are refunded PROMPTLY!
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

09/04/2020 4:05 PM  
Posted By JohnC77 on 09/04/2020 2:12 PM
This happens to us and after verified, the monies are refunded PROMPTLY!

Same here.
LetA
(Nevada)

09/04/2020 6:40 PM  
Posted By CathyA3 on 09/04/2020 1:00 PM
If it were me, I'd consider it a early payment for the coming month and let it go. It's not like I'd earn enough interest on that early payment to justify the time and aggravation of trying to get a refund. My time is worth more than that.

Is there a reason you don't want to do that?

Normally I would agree, amid this CV epidemic with reduced work hours and tight budgets there should be no argument and the overpayment refunded promptly.
TimB4
(Virginia)

09/05/2020 4:11 AM  
When I was treasurer, it depended on the circumstances.

Once, I received the years payment twice.
I walked the second check to the home of the individual, explained the double payment and simply returned the uncashed check (as this was for over $1,000).

Several times, I received excess payments for various reasons (late charges waived, incorrect amounts being filled in on checks, double payments). These were all on those who paid monthly. For those, I would post the payment as expected and inform the individual that they have a credit and the next payments due date and amount.

So, if I were your treasurer, I would follow your request after the check cleared (which can be two weeks).
I would also inform you of the time line and encourage you to simply apply the amount to the next months payment.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

09/05/2020 5:38 AM  
Keep in mind that an accidental double payment of an annual assessment is different from a monthly one.

Both because of the dollars involved, and because you'd be crossing calendar/fiscal years. That annual pre-payment would have to be accounted for differently and carried on the books until the coming year. It's less work to refund it, and it will make the auditor happy.

With a monthly pre-payment, it's possible that by the time you wait for the pre-payment check to clear, request a refund check and then mail it to the homeowner, the homeowner will simply have to turn around a week later and send the money back. Too much work for too little benefit. And yes, I understand about covid-19 and many people being in financial distress right now - but that won't speed up the process, unfortunately.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Refunding overpayment of Assessments

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement