Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, September 24, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: signs on homeowner property
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
RobertW31
(New York)

08/05/2020 9:44 AM  
Hi, So have an interesting dilemma. Our townhouse community in New York State has specific rules agains the posting of signs on a homeowners property or in their windows. They are not allowed except for when there is an open house or with special permission if someone is having an estate sale.

We currently have a resident who just posted a Black Lives Matter sign in their front yard. I know this person and he knows the rules as well as anyone and is trying to make a point or is spoiling for a fight.

I have asked our property management to send him a letter, with a copy of the rules, and in the letter tell him that we have no objection to the message in his sign the rules do not permit signs and if we ignore his sign it will send a subtle message to everyone in here that they are free to put up any sign they want. This is not in the best interests of the community, and we are requesting that he remove it by a certain date.

It almost seems like a second amendment issue in a way so not sure where he plans to go with this since he is a former union organizer and likely will not settle this quietly.

Anyone encountered a situation like this and if so how did you handle it? Thanks, Bob
AugustinD

08/05/2020 10:04 AM  
First, is this rule board-created? Or is it in the covenants? The difference is huge. If the "rule" derives from the covenants, please quote the covenant exactly.

This topic is coming up a lot here. This article says that in New York, depending on the HOA/condo's governing documents, a HOA/condo flat-out prohibited, regardless of their content: https://www.hoalawblog.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/385/2016/12/nytimes.com-Posting-Political-Signs-in-the-Window-Is-Your-Right-Isnt-It.pdf

I like the wording you suggested. But the legal validity of a violation letter sent to the resident depends on more.
AugustinD

08/05/2020 10:06 AM  
Posted By AugustinD on 08/05/2020 10:04 AM
This article says that in New York, depending on the HOA/condo's governing documents, a HOA/condo flat-out prohibited, regardless of their content: https://www.hoalawblog.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/385/2016/12/nytimes.com-Posting-Political-Signs-in-the-Window-Is-Your-Right-Isnt-It.pdf
AugustinD

08/05/2020 10:06 AM  
Posted By AugustinD on 08/05/2020 10:04 AM
This article says that in New York, depending on the HOA/condo's governing documents, a HOA/condo flat-out prohibited, regardless of their content: https://www.hoalawblog.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/385/2016/12/nytimes.com-Posting-Political-Signs-in-the-Window-Is-Your-Right-Isnt-It.pdf

Post-o. I meant that, depending on the HOA/condo's governing documents, a HOA/condo can lawfully flat-out prohibit signs, regardless of their content.
KerryL1
(California)

08/05/2020 12:11 PM  
I think your letter is OK, too, Robert. But I don't believe you should refer to the content of the sign at all. Keep it at the level that signs are not permitted in yards. Period.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

08/05/2020 12:17 PM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 08/05/2020 12:11 PM
I think your letter is OK, too, Robert. But I don't believe you should refer to the content of the sign at all. Keep it at the level that signs are not permitted in yards. Period.

I agree.
TimB4
(Virginia)

08/05/2020 5:17 PM  
In case the owner tries to claim the sign is political, as political signs are typically allowed regardless of covenants, I offer the following:

Federal agency: Supporting 'Black Lives Matter' isn't partisan or political from USA today 7/17/2020
KerryL1
(California)

08/05/2020 7:29 PM  
Tim raises h point, Robert, about whether local or state laws might override your own rules or covenants. you shall heck.

In CA, for instance, we must permit non-comercial signs in our windows -- political or otherwise. The hOA can limit the size and number of them. But years ar different, I guess?
KellyM3
(North Carolina)

08/07/2020 9:38 AM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 08/05/2020 12:11 PM

This is good advice. The regulation forbids signage. No need to explain further or be apologetic about enforcing the rule, which pre-dates the current political climate.
MichaelB49
(Florida)

08/13/2020 6:42 PM  
In Florida, Statutes specify legal use of ‘No Trespassing’ signage. Our HOA forbids owners from posting signs of any type. Can our HOA override this Florida law and effectively demand the homeowner to remove a properly legally posted ‘No Trespassing’ sign? Any experience with this State statute v HOA sign issue in Florida?
MichaelB49
(Florida)

08/13/2020 6:42 PM  
In Florida, Statutes specify legal use of ‘No Trespassing’ signage. Our HOA forbids owners from posting signs of any type. Can our HOA override this Florida law and effectively demand the homeowner to remove a properly legally posted ‘No Trespassing’ sign? Any experience with this State statute v HOA sign issue in Florida?
AugustinD

08/13/2020 7:10 PM  
Posted By MichaelB49 on 08/13/2020 6:42 PM
In Florida, Statutes specify legal use of ‘No Trespassing’ signage.
Statutes also specify that owners must comply with HOA and Condo covenants. I believe the HOA/Condo statutes trump whatever loose reading is being done of trespassing statutes.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

08/13/2020 8:12 PM  
OK - I’ll bite.

No Trespassing signage for what reason?
MichaelB49
(Florida)

09/10/2020 5:24 PM  
Can a Florida HOA Board act ‘invisibly’ targeting only one owner’s no words - ‘location marking flags’?
I have re-phrased the following for emphasis: The legal validity of a violation letter sent to the resident depends on more: First, is this rule board-created? Or is it in the covenants? The difference is huge. If the "rule" derives from the covenants, please quote the covenant exactly.
Question: Can a covenant rule of ‘no signs of any character’ be expanded by the Board, acting ‘invisibly’ to, to target one owner, to also include his use of ‘utility location marking flags’ for several weeks that have no words – just color, used only as a visual aid depicting a newly surveyed (moved) property boundary for private disclosure in out of state correspondence? The minutes of the relevant Board meeting do not include any discussion of a ‘marking flag’ violation or any vote authorization for issuing a ‘marking flag’ violation letter. There is No written trace of a Board’s action - beyond the violation letter and a follow-up certified letter from the Board’s law firm.
Question: Can a board letter be legal and have consequences if no written trace exists in board minutes for its issue?
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

09/10/2020 5:38 PM  
Michael ... again, I’d love to see more on the No Trespassing signage?
LetA
(Nevada)

09/11/2020 6:22 AM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 09/10/2020 5:38 PM
Michael ... again, I’d love to see more on the No Trespassing signage?

So would I, Unless Florida has a presumption law that it is assumed that unless one has a pecuniary interest in said property one is indeed trespassing on private property.
MichaelB49
(Florida)

09/11/2020 2:10 PM  
No Trespassing signs issue: Our Board’s attorney stated to the owner: ‘the Florida statutes do not give you permission to violate the Association’s documents’; providing no references. Recommending that the owner retain an attorney.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

09/11/2020 3:10 PM  
Michael,

That didn't answer anything for me ... can you provide more detail - I'm not following.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > signs on homeowner property

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement