Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, August 09, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: city vs HOS rules
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
ArtB1
(Florida)

07/30/2020 7:30 PM  
Asking for a friend......

Our community covenants prohibit golf carts.

City ordinance allows golf carts on sidewalks.

Can an HOA Covenant be more restrictive than a city ordinance?

BTW, this is in Florida.

Thanks

ArtB1
(Florida)

07/30/2020 7:31 PM  
sorry - typo

HOA not HOS
TimB4
(Virginia)

07/30/2020 7:39 PM  
Posted By ArtB1 on 07/30/2020 7:30 PM

Can an HOA Covenant be more restrictive than a city ordinance?

Typically, Yes.

In the case you described - Yes.

What may change or limit the HOA's ability would be if the developments sidewalks/streets public or private.

If public, then the rule would still apply to all members, their families and guests but not to jane/joe citizen passing through (not a guest of any member/resident).
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

07/31/2020 6:31 AM  
That is the very point wrt HOAs - they are intended to be more restrictive than the surrounding municipal, county, or state entities.

Several questions re your post - mainly confusion re HOA general prohibition, and city all i ability on sidewalks.

Here’s a quick summary of different types of vehicles? https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/mv/lowspeedvehicles.pdf
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

07/31/2020 10:21 AM  
Art

I am confused as to what the issue is. Is it golf carts on sidewalks or golf carts allowed?

My initial blush is unless your streets are private, you cannot ban golf carts from the streets assuming the carts are FL legal for such use. Private streets or not, I believe the association could ban them from traveling on sidewalks.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

07/31/2020 11:07 AM  
Posted By JohnC46 on 07/31/2020 10:21 AM
Art

I am confused as to what the issue is. Is it golf carts on sidewalks or golf carts allowed?

My initial blush is unless your streets are private, you cannot ban golf carts from the streets assuming the carts are FL legal for such use. Private streets or not, I believe the association could ban them from traveling on sidewalks.

My understanding is that golf carts are not allowed on public roads in general in Florida, but local municipalities can pass laws allowing them.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
ArtB1
(Florida)

07/31/2020 11:39 AM  
Our Covenants prohibit them and we are on private roads.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

07/31/2020 12:02 PM  
Well, then that's your answer: the CCRs can be more restrictive than city code, your CCRs say no golf carts and the Association owns the roads. This sounds like you're trying to say something like "but I'm not going to drive it on the street, I'll use the sidewalk and the city says that's fine so..." Maybe it's me, but I would think sidewalks are for walking, and using a golf cart isn't the same as riding in a scooter designed for disabled people or a power wheelchair.

Covenants can be changed if enough homeowners vote for it, so talk to the board or, better yet, your neighbors. If you find enough that feel the same way, all of you can attend the next board meeting and suggest this be put to all the homeowners for a vote (check your documents to see how it's done).
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

07/31/2020 4:36 PM  
Douglas,

See this, please ... https://www.flhsmv.gov/safety-center/consumer-education/low-speed-vehicles/
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

08/01/2020 8:57 AM  
Posted By ArtB1 on 07/31/2020 11:39 AM
Our Covenants prohibit them and we are on private roads.

Then this is the answer.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement