Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, August 09, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Should an HOA Invest in an Engineer for Dedication?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
DanM14
(Pennsylvania)

07/27/2020 1:54 PM  
Hi -

We live in what will be a 145 single family unit development (every unit has their own lot). The common elements include detention basins (including stormwater management facilities), rain gardens, some common sidewalks, a multi-use walking/bike trail, a future playground/play lot, some open space for active and passive recreation, and wetlands.

According to our governing documents, the streets and sewers will be dedicated to the Township and public sewer authority, respectively. In August, I will be meeting with the Township Manager, the Developer, the Township's Engineer, and a few others to conduct a walk-through of the first two phases to be dedicated to the Township. Concurrently, the common elements mentioned would be dedicated to the HOA. According to my discussions with the Township Manager, they (the Township) will develop a punch-list of items to be completed based on the site Plan on file in the Township. The Township Engineer will be responsible for ensuring all items on the punch-list are completed satisfactorily before recommending the dedication to proceed.

The HOA has a keen interest in making sure everything is cared for. When dedication has been completed, the HOA then assumes control and maintenance of all common elements. While I am confident the Township will do a good job, I have been approached by a homeowner asking if we (the HOA) are going to hire their own Engineer to ensure our interests are protected. I am looking for guidance. Is hiring a private Engineer (using HOA money to compensate him/her for this service) something that is absolutely necessary inasmuch I envision a lot of duplicate services between the Township Engineer and the private Engineer?

I don't want to appear to be cheap but at the same time, I don't want to unnecessarily waste HOA funds for duplicated services. Thanks in advance for your input.
AugustinD

07/27/2020 1:59 PM  
Are you the developer/declarant?
DanM14
(Pennsylvania)

07/27/2020 2:06 PM  
No, I am the current HOA President and homeowner.
AugustinD

07/27/2020 2:35 PM  
Does the developer/declarant have significant legal control of HOA decisions being made? E.g. does the Developer/Declarant have any say about the direction things take at this time?

This is not a topic I have seen come up here before.

I would observe that, customarily, what the City Engineer is signing off on is that the developer/declarant has complied with all municipal codes (which often invoke state and other codes). Later, if a design is determined not to have been consistent with code, then I believe the HOA corporation can still pursue correction by the developer.

Off the top of my head, I suggest the HOA consult a land use engineer (meaning civil engineer with P/E specialized in land use), and see if she/he thinks a more thorough review is needed.
DanM14
(Pennsylvania)

07/27/2020 2:42 PM  
Thanks for your reply.

Currently, this is a 3-member Board. I'm the only homeowner representative because the community is not at 75% occupancy yet. We're getting close. I anticipate 75% occupancy by the September/October timeframe.

The other two Board positions are held by the Developer, which gets to answering your authority question.

The problem is this phase of dedication may happen before we have an all-homeowner Board. So between now and early September, I have to make a decision regarding spending HOA money to even consult with a land use engineer as you have suggested. Lots to think about. But thank you again for your input.

Waiting on any others that may have been in this same situation. I will check back frequently for future posts.

AugustinD

07/27/2020 2:51 PM  
Posted By DanM14 on 07/27/2020 2:42 PM
So between now and early September, I have to make a decision regarding spending HOA money to even consult with a land use engineer as you have suggested.
A board majority makes the decision. When a board president makes such a decision all by him- or herself, he or she is acting unlawfully.
TimB4
(Virginia)

07/27/2020 3:12 PM  
I would wait until you get the report from the city.
If any of it looks unreasonable, hire someone for a second opinion and options.
DanM14
(Pennsylvania)

07/27/2020 6:13 PM  
Sorry, I should have been more clear. You are correct. The decision I was referring to was making up my mind. If I thought it would be beneficial, I would present to the two other Board members and hopefully get at least one to agree.
DanM14
(Pennsylvania)

07/27/2020 6:14 PM  
Good suggestion. Thank you.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Should an HOA Invest in an Engineer for Dedication?

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement