Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, August 09, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: HOA address change
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
SamS9
(Washington)

07/22/2020 12:16 AM  
We are a community of 25 homes. Our HOA is managed by a management company. But we want to start managing it by ourselves and get rid of this management company since they are very expensive.
Is it possible to get a address and mail box for my community just for the purposes of getting mail which will be accessed only by the HOA board? Or is it better to get a PO box? If I get a PO Box, would it work if I put the PO BOx address during filing returns? Because I think it needs to be a physical address for the tax purpose. Whats the route to take here?
Thank you for your time.
TimB4
(Virginia)

07/22/2020 3:30 AM  
My HOA is self manged.
We have a PO Box.
The PO Box is listed as our address on tax returns.
The PO Box is listed as our address for corporate documents.

When a physical address is required, we simply state the County and zip code. If more specifics are required, we provide a description (properties abutting and surrounding xyz streets).
SheliaH
(Indiana)

07/22/2020 9:18 AM  
Getting the PO Box is just the start of what you'll need to do for self-managing the association, so you may want to Google HOA self-management to see what the pros and cons are. There's nothing wrong with self-management, but depending on the extent of services providing by the association along with managing the common areas, you'll need people willing and able to do all that. If you can find them, great, but if not, or that person(s) steps down, then what? Will he or she educate his/her successor on best practices, assuming you can find someone else to do the job?

You may find it's easier to shop around for a management company who's more affordable - take a look at your contract and then send out a request for proposal (RFP) to the competition. Keep reading the contract to see if there's a service you're paying for that you seldom use or don't need at all - perhaps you can talk to the company about amending the contract to remove those services and save some money.
GenoS
(Florida)

07/22/2020 12:19 PM  
Posted By SheliaH on 07/22/2020 9:18 AM
Getting the PO Box is just the start of what you'll need to do for self-managing the association, so you may want to Google HOA self-management to see what the pros and cons are. There's nothing wrong with self-management, but depending on the extent of services providing by the association along with managing the common areas, you'll need people willing and able to do all that. If you can find them, great, but if not, or that person(s) steps down, then what? Will he or she educate his/her successor on best practices, assuming you can find someone else to do the job?

This is where we're at. It's a nightmare with a board whose only mission is to do as little as possible. Our Bylaws and state statutes require us to have a Vice President. We haven't had one for over a year despite the presence of enough Directors on the board available to fill that office. The VP has almost no duties and we STILL can't find anyone willing to do it. As a self-managed HOA do NOT underestimate how quickly things will unravel without a sufficient pool of owners ready, willing, and able to serve on your board and committees. It's vital.
BenA2
(Texas)

07/22/2020 2:55 PM  
Be sure to check your state law. In some states (if not all) HOAs and other corporations have to have a registered agent with a physical address so that legal notices can be served. The registered agent can usually be any real person, including people who are paid for that sole purpose.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

07/22/2020 3:25 PM  
Our MC is our registered agent, If the HOA uses a lawyer I expect s/he can easily do it and at a very small fee. Also I am not sure, but I suspect the Pres. of the BOD could be the Registered Agent. I do not think the State cares who the Registered Agent is, as long as there is one.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement