Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, August 09, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Does your HOA have an HOA Attorney ?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Page 3 of 3 << < 123
Author Messages
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

07/11/2020 6:09 PM  
Ah ... more name calling?

You want to start, as well, MarkW18?
MarkW18

07/11/2020 6:52 PM  
My question to you was what have YOU contributed to the conversion besides your constant SNARKY remarks.
KerryL1
(California)

07/11/2020 7:07 PM  
Paul wrote: "I previously apologized to you for some prior things that I said." Please tell me the post #. I missed it.

And that I'm welcome to join him on the "high road." Disagreeing civilly is not the low road. Name-calling is. I still want to know where I possibly lied, Paul. You made that charge. Prove it.

I forgot to mention I also earned an Mrs. degree at 19 and 3 MOM degrees before the age of 25. But I very well may have education beyond those events. Or, maybe not.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

07/11/2020 7:21 PM  
Mark,

Sorry, but you perhaps misunderstood my remarks.

And, perhaps I didn’t express myself well enough - I meant to call attention to Paul’s mean-spirited, childish bullying, as well as his apparent need to try and convince folks how smart he is, all the while calling names.

Maybe Paul has something useful to offer - I’m willing to listen, but not to his, or anyone else’s boorish behavior, however, anonymous it might be,
MarkW18

07/11/2020 7:31 PM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 07/11/2020 7:21 PM
Mark,

Sorry, but you perhaps misunderstood my remarks.

And, perhaps I didn’t express myself well enough - I meant to call attention to Paul’s mean-spirited, childish bullying, as well as his apparent need to try and convince folks how smart he is, all the while calling names.

Maybe Paul has something useful to offer - I’m willing to listen, but not to his, or anyone else’s boorish behavior, however, anonymous it might be,

You made it quite clear you had nothing to offer.
PaulJ6

07/12/2020 4:01 AM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 07/11/2020 7:07 PM
Paul wrote: "I previously apologized to you for some prior things that I said." Please tell me the post #. I missed it.

And that I'm welcome to join him on the "high road." Disagreeing civilly is not the low road. Name-calling is. I still want to know where I possibly lied, Paul. You made that charge. Prove it.

I forgot to mention I also earned an Mrs. degree at 19 and 3 MOM degrees before the age of 25. But I very well may have education beyond those events. Or, maybe not.

Proof?

You denied, on page 2 of this thread, that you had "said ANYthing about how much ed after high school I do or don't possess".

Earlier you had stated:

"My community college taught me that." and you also made it clear that you had been a student at one.

Thus you had stated things about "how much ed after high school" [you] do or don't possess". Yes, perhaps you attended community college at the same time as high school, but community college is typically "after high school" education.

In addition, re: disagreeing civilly: you've said a range of nasty things about Mark in particular, such as denying that he knows anything.

Even after people apologize to you and express their regret about the tone and content of discussions, you do not do so in return; rather, you keep attacking.

Go for it. I'm not reading or responding to your posts anymore, just as I do for GeorgeS21 or whatever his name is.
PaulJ6

07/12/2020 4:05 AM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 07/11/2020 7:07 PM

Your statement above ("I missed it.") is also false.

You acknowledged the apology and have kept attacking. You can look for the other thread.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

07/12/2020 8:01 AM  
Yeah, right.
KerryL1
(California)

07/12/2020 8:16 AM  
I still haven't written how much ed after high school I possess. Please retract you statement that I possibly lied.

But....you fail to show us where you apologized to me for the name-calling, which you wrote you did.

I think I've pretty much ignored MarkW's self-promotion on this thread--not worth it to go back & check.

Since you, Paul, won't, in truth, deliver an apology or retract your accusations against me, you're right; we're done with this.
MarkW18

07/12/2020 8:31 AM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 07/12/2020 8:16 AM
I still haven't written how much ed after high school I possess. Please retract you statement that I possibly lied.

But....you fail to show us where you apologized to me for the name-calling, which you wrote you did.

I think I've pretty much ignored MarkW's self-promotion on this thread--not worth it to go back & check.

Since you, Paul, won't, in truth, deliver an apology or retract your accusations against me, you're right; we're done with this.

MarkW18

07/12/2020 8:37 AM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 07/12/2020 8:16 AM

Leave me out of your squabble. You got yourself into this, you can try and get yourself out of it. Snarky has a way of finding it's way home.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

07/12/2020 8:45 AM  
Mark,

You seem to want to continue this ... do you?

Again, hopefully those seeking solutions and positive ways of managing their HOAs/COAs/POAs will sift through all of this and figure out which of us are overly aggressive, bullying and know-it alls - and base their actions in the communities on the reasonable advice, vice the most aggressive from the self aggrandizing.
MarkW18

07/12/2020 8:52 AM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 07/12/2020 8:45 AM
Mark,

You seem to want to continue this ... do you?

Again, hopefully those seeking solutions and positive ways of managing their HOAs/COAs/POAs will sift through all of this and figure out which of us are overly aggressive, bullying and know-it alls - and base their actions in the communities on the reasonable advice, vice the most aggressive from the self aggrandizing.

Then why in the hell are you here, because you offer absolutely nothing positive to the conversation
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

07/12/2020 9:19 AM  
Thank you for continuing to make my point for me.

The site, and likely this thread, are getting lots of hits.

I think it is clear I comment when I have something to say to support others, or when my position might be a bit different. I try not to comment on topics when I don't have relevant experience or education. Sometimes I need to say something and try to remember to add IMO in front of my thoughts.
TimB4
(Virginia)

07/13/2020 10:01 AM  
I would like to remind everyone of the banner above:

"A positive place for community association leaders to share ideas and learn"

Many have left this site because of arguments going into name calling.

Disagreements are expected as everyone may have a different perspective on an issue.

Agreeing to disagree is preferred (at least by me, perhaps others).
Name calling, to me, indicates one lost their ability to constructively argue a point.
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

07/13/2020 12:30 PM  
Posted By TimB4 on 07/13/2020 10:01 AM

Disagreements are expected as everyone may have a different perspective on an issue.

Name calling, to me, indicates one lost their ability to constructively argue a point.

I agree 100%. I've never understood why people want to go back and forth with each other when they know there is no way the other person is going to change their mind or back down. What is the point?

Definition of insanity - “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.”
BobD4
(up north)

07/21/2020 1:47 PM  
cross reference

topic : “Does your HOA have an HOA Attorney ?”
https://www.hoatalk.com/Forum/tabid/55/forumid/1/tpage/3/view/Topic/postid/287525/Default.aspx

topic “Accidentally violated HOA rule: how to make amends ?”
https://www.hoatalk.com/Forum/tabid/55/forumid/1/postid/287506/view/topic/Default.aspx

I say this with the greatest of respect :

whether or not PaulJ6 NY is an active attorney, retired attorney, butcher, baker , candlestick-maker etc etc personalizing a dialogue risks someone just putting the whole scenario into the rear view mirror.

Watched that happen often enough to turn an active Forum into a mere legal research / “read only”site .

JohnC46
(South Carolina)

07/21/2020 2:05 PM  
Posted By JohnT38 on 07/13/2020 12:30 PM
Posted By TimB4 on 07/13/2020 10:01 AM

I agree 100%. I've never understood why people want to go back and forth with each other when they know there is no way the other person is going to change their mind or back down. What is the point?

Definition of insanity - “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.”

Both well said.
MarkW18

07/21/2020 3:08 PM  
This is a positive place for community association leaders to share ideas and learn.

This forum is for community association Boards, Committees, Volunteers & HOA Professionals to discuss topics concerning their association duties.

We admonish people that come onto this forum if they name the HOA they have a question to pose to the group. It is in the "so-called" posting rules. Yet, 8 of the 10 people (or more) who come to this site, do not sit on a board, or are a volunteer in their community or work in this industry or trade. Why don't we tell those people, thanks but no thanks, you have to be involved in some shape or form within your community.

What's the real problem with someone identifying the HOA they have a question about. Afterall, the documents, CCRs, Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation are public documents. Someone might question the number of directors on their board and we would say post the exact language from your Bylaws. BUT, what if the number is in the Articles and they conflict, we all know that Articles will trump (need to get rid of that word in the english language)

Many will try and answer the question with another question, like, are you a condo of sfr, how many units, how many directors, etc, etc. Given that information alone, I can find most HOA's in the U.S., so what the big secret?

Because HOA's aren't regulated, I wouldn't live in one again. I do manage (try to help) HOA's. If Boards try and become dictators, I step away. There are enough out there wanting to operate correctly.
KerryL1
(California)

07/21/2020 5:50 PM  
Very cool to hear from "Bob from Up North!!"
TimB4
(Virginia)

07/22/2020 3:22 AM  
Posted By MarkW18 on 07/21/2020 3:08 PM
This is a positive place for community association leaders to share ideas and learn.

This forum is for community association Boards, Committees, Volunteers & HOA Professionals to discuss topics concerning their association duties.

We admonish people that come onto this forum if they name the HOA they have a question to pose to the group. It is in the "so-called" posting rules. Yet, 8 of the 10 people (or more) who come to this site, do not sit on a board, or are a volunteer in their community or work in this industry or trade. Why don't we tell those people, thanks but no thanks, you have to be involved in some shape or form within your community.

This was actually brought up several years ago by the administrators.
They stepped in because of similar issues we are experiencing on this site today (but it was limited to one thread).
The regular posters of this site (back then) said that many come to the site because they have an issue with their HOA. The assistance and education they receive often has them volunteer to serve.
The moderators of the site agreed.

What's the real problem with someone identifying the HOA they have a question about.

I'm not an attorney.
I suspect it would be the potential of the website host being served in legal actions.

Many will try and answer the question with another question, like, are you a condo of sfr, how many units, how many directors, etc, etc.

Many will answer questions with questions in order to provide a more informed response.
Some will answer questions with questions to help the poster learn.
A few will answer questions with questions for reasons unknown to me.

Given that information alone, I can find most HOA's in the U.S., so what the big secret?

Again, I believe it's a legal thing, not a secrecy thing.

Because HOA's aren't regulated, I wouldn't live in one again. I do manage (try to help) HOA's. If Boards try and become dictators, I step away. There are enough out there wanting to operate correctly.

Certainly a choice that is for everyone to make.

I chose our next home to be within an HOA.
However, due to the education I've received from this site, personal experiences and research, I chose what type of HOA I was willing to purchase a home in.
For example, my HOA has zero common area -- hence assessments are low.

JohnC46
(South Carolina)

07/22/2020 8:42 AM  
TIM

One of the main reasons I chose my existing HOA is we have no amenities at all. Keeps the expenses and the aggravation to a minimum.
MarkW18

07/22/2020 9:41 AM  
But, I happen to be fond of the color purple.
NpB
(Arizona)

07/23/2020 7:29 AM  
MarkW18: Several states have statutes regulating HOAs. Sad to see the level of snark and cancel culture recently on this forum.
MarkW18

07/23/2020 9:18 AM  
Posted By NpB on 07/23/2020 7:29 AM
MarkW18: Several states have statutes regulating HOAs. Sad to see the level of snark and cancel culture recently on this forum.

I am well aware of how HOA's run and how and who regulates them. It was meant as a joke, so get a life!
NpB
(Arizona)

07/23/2020 9:24 AM  
Posted By MarkW18 on 07/23/2020 9:18 AM
Posted By NpB on 07/23/2020 7:29 AM

I am well aware of how HOA's run and how and who regulates them. It was meant as a joke, so get a life!

I am living a great life, thank you.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Page 3 of 3 << < 123
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Does your HOA have an HOA Attorney ?

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement