Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, February 25, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Opensource management software.
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
ChrisL18
(Vermont)

07/02/2020 5:22 PM  
Hello,

I am a new director for a new 8 member HOA. We have very few assets (stormwater system and sewer pump). I am looking for software to manage HOA dues and bills. I have everything drafted up in Excel and can work with that, but I wanted to reach out and see if anyone knows of any opensource accounting software that works well.

Thanks!
BenS8
(Tennessee)

02/18/2021 8:06 AM  
Did you find a software product? I am currently doing research to either buy or build one myself.
TimB4
(Virginia)

02/18/2021 4:44 PM  
When I was on the board, we were using pen and paper.

I moved to excel spreadsheets (with assistance from a CPA).

The problem with any software is the abilities of those who follow.

For example: At one time, a members serving on the architectural committee built a great Microsoft access database and user interface. When they left, a thumb drive with all the info was left for the committee. When I was on the committee (serving as the committee secretary) I organized the files. This is when I discovered the thumb drive and checked it out. I thought it was great but everything was 10 years out of date.

It appears that those who served after this individual, didn't have the knowledge to use the information.

Learning from this, the committee chose to stay with pen and paper.

I would also remind everyone of the posting rules associated with this site (click the smiley face with the caption Our Posting Rules). Specifically:

(3) No Mention of Community/Company/Person Names: In order to fairly enforce (2) and prevent liability, we do not allow the mentioning of any community name, company name or product. Please also do not post the full name of any person.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

02/23/2021 7:49 AM  
Excel
Word
PDF

We only use these 3 things.

To accomplish this...... Openoffice (free) can be used if you want to use an app, but we prefer to use Google docs and save each file to google drive than can be backed up to a thumb drive. Its also easier to share the files with people because they dont need word, excel, adobe pdf to open. Its viewable in google docs without an account.

Sure, go ahead and use things like quickbooks if you like, but save reports in PDF, or excel for archiving information.

Files in these 3 formats will be fine for decades to come. If you complicate things with access databases, quickbooks, etc.... those files will be useless in the years to follow because you wont be able to open them.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Opensource management software.

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement