Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, July 14, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Pre Selling list
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
RobertW31
(New York)

06/19/2020 11:23 AM  
Does any board have a service for homeowners who are thinking of selling to get their home and contact info on a list that is posted in some fashion on a regular basis?

I had a fairly new resident contact me saying she was willing to be the person to run the list, but a little Gun shy thinking she might be getting a referral fee from agents.

The entire purpose is to avoid real estate fees and provide a service to residents.
MarkW18

06/19/2020 11:28 AM  
NO, NO and NO!
BillH10
(Texas)

06/19/2020 11:54 AM  
I agree with Mark, the Association should not be involved in the property sale process in any way other than as is required--estoppel documents, resale certificates, etc.

There is an exception. Some of our clients have periodic newsletters distributed to Association members published by Association volunteers. Business/classified advertising is accepted/solicited to offset the costs. If someone with a property for sale desired to purchase advertising space on the same basis as a non affiliated party, I say let them do so.
KerryL1
(California)

06/19/2020 12:07 PM  
I agree with MarkW & Bill.

We do have be bulletin boards in our (high rise condo) mailrooms that owners & realtors sometimes post condos for lease or for sale.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

06/19/2020 12:26 PM  
Nope nope nopity nope. That's not the board's job and they need to stay out of private transactions except for the few items mentioned by Bill.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

06/19/2020 12:49 PM  
RW31,

What?

WHAT?

Seriously, W H A T ?
CathyA3
(Ohio)

06/19/2020 1:33 PM  
I think the brain trust agrees: bad idea. If the OP only knew how infrequently we all agree with each other... :-)
RobertW31
(New York)

06/19/2020 1:41 PM  
Thanks for your info. That is what this forum is for and it was why I felt free to ask the question. A positive place!
AugustinD

06/19/2020 1:56 PM  
Posted By RobertW31 on 06/19/2020 11:23 AM
The entire purpose is to avoid real estate fees and provide a service to residents.
If it's not a Board duty in the governing docs or state statute, do not do it. Send the interested parties to Zillow. It's easier to use and in the current market of the last year or so, turns up lots of potential buyers (some with realtors in tow). Where I am, by using Zillow and working with, at most, one realtor, the seller pays only 3% commission instead of 5% or 6%.
MarkW18

06/19/2020 4:33 PM  
Posted By AugustinD on 06/19/2020 1:56 PM
If it's not a Board duty in the governing docs or state statute, do not do it. Send the interested parties to Zillow. It's easier to use and in the current market of the last year or so, turns up lots of potential buyers (some with realtors in tow). Where I am, by using Zillow and working with, at most, one realtor, the seller pays only 3% commission instead of 5% or 6%.

And if the buyer has an agent (recommended) they get 3%.
AugustinD

06/19/2020 4:49 PM  
Posted By MarkW18 on 06/19/2020 4:33 PM
Posted By AugustinD on 06/19/2020 1:56 PM

And if the buyer has an agent (recommended) they get 3%.
Nope. I meant people can post FSBO on Zillow. If an agent brings a buyer, the seller does not have to use an agent. A reasonably experienced seller can forego using an agent, or worst case, hire an attorney for a few hundred dollars for a consult.

We are not going to agree. Make your stupid negative remark. Whatever.
MarkW18

06/19/2020 5:41 PM  
You made the stupid remarks for me!
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

06/19/2020 5:49 PM  
I just bought my house from a seller who had only posted on Zillow.

I have a long term agent for rentals, and engaged her for a couple of percent, She contacted the seller, obtained agreement signed to represent us and the seller, conducted the negotiations, worked the many inspection, document, and even some loan issues.
MarkW18

06/19/2020 6:05 PM  
Honest Abe once said "A man who represents himself, has a fool for a client."

GeorgeS21
(Florida)

06/19/2020 6:11 PM  
Don't understand the reference in this case.
BenA2
(Texas)

06/19/2020 9:17 PM  
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see a problem with allowing members to post information on a list, as long as it is offered to all owners.

We used to allow this on our website. The owners sent us the information and we posted it. The HOA had no other involvement. The only issue we had was that owners would not let us know when they sold so we ended up with a lot of properties listed that were no longer for sale. For that reason, we stopped.
GenoS
(Florida)

06/20/2020 2:11 PM  
Zillow has become remarkably inaccurate over the last 6 months in my area. Homes for sale do not appear, listings come and go with no rhyme or reason, often seemingly at random. Homes are sold and still appear on Zillow as "for sale" weeks after closing. I find it to be almost completely unreliable. Movoto is much more accurate, but it doesn't show "For Rent" listings like Zillow does. It also doesn't provide a usable history of listings, sales, listing-removed, etc. over time. Movoto will also show scheduled open house events, which Zillow never did even when it was dependable. Just my 2 cents. I used to go to Zillow all the time. Not any more.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

06/20/2020 3:00 PM  
Never believe the values or sales on Zillow or Trulia. That isn't accurate information at all. They are usually over inflated. I think a lot of people assume those sales reflect actual "home values" but they do not. Sold prices reflect more on "home values" than sales prices.

It's pretty much known that Zillow and similar sites are not reflective of real sales prices/values.

Former HOA President
MarkW18

06/20/2020 6:22 PM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 06/20/2020 3:00 PM
Never believe the values or sales on Zillow or Trulia. That isn't accurate information at all. They are usually over inflated. I think a lot of people assume those sales reflect actual "home values" but they do not. Sold prices reflect more on "home values" than sales prices.

It's pretty much known that Zillow and similar sites are not reflective of real sales prices/values.

Not true, the sales prices are accurate. It is a public document that can be verified!
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

06/20/2020 8:05 PM  
Melissa,

I think, again, we are going to have to disagree..
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

06/20/2020 8:14 PM  
Keep believing the lie. It's put out by Real Estate agents not banks...

Former HOA President
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

06/20/2020 8:28 PM  
Yeah, right.
MarkW18

06/20/2020 9:30 PM  
Must be "fake news"
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement