Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, July 10, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Opening Pool Covid -19
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
CourtneyS2
(Texas)

06/09/2020 1:14 PM  
We consist of 3 Board of Directors. Two of which want to open our pool at 50% capacity as first come first serve. Is this legal to deny or turn away paying members of our Association. According to our CC&R paying members have access to these areas. I recommended waiting until at least 75% capacity.
CourtneyS2
(Texas)

06/09/2020 1:49 PM  
Does anyone have any thoughts on this topic?
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

06/09/2020 3:15 PM  
Interesting logistics question, as well.

I would probably make it by reservation, and regulate in that manner.
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

06/09/2020 3:25 PM  
Posted By CourtneyS2 on 06/09/2020 1:14 PM
We consist of 3 Board of Directors. Two of which want to open our pool at 50% capacity as first come first serve. Is this legal to deny or turn away paying members of our Association. According to our CC&R paying members have access to these areas. I recommended waiting until at least 75% capacity.

You may want to use the search function and use 'pool' or 'covid-19' as your search criteria. There have been many posts on this subject that might help you.
KellyM3
(North Carolina)

06/09/2020 3:28 PM  
Posted By CourtneyS2 on 06/09/2020 1:14 PM

Under these unusual circumstances, my informal advice is to follow the state of Texas's guidelines for congregations of people and, if available, pool operations guidelines. Following Texas recommendations for slowing the spread of coronavirus will not be construed as "illegal," it's the recommended response so that you can open your people as reasonably as possible.

I do agree on "first come, first serve." Too much effort must be given to creating a reservation system and arbitrarily waiting to open the pool at a 75% legal capacity will unnecessarily require the pool to remain closed when it's possible to open under different rules.

MelissaP1
(Alabama)

06/09/2020 3:49 PM  
This isn't going to be in your documents. It's going to be what the health department says. So have to go by what the state says is allowable. Who is going to monitor the %? Do you know the capacity of the pool area? The fire department should be able to provide that information.

You may need to remove some chairs and make sure they are distant apart. Know how your going to handle those who refuse to leave. Maybe reduce the hours of the pool being open.

It's going to be hard to manage. Most HOA's will just close the pool altogether till things are more "normal". It's just too hard to manage and plus add the additional work of keeping the areas clean.

The good news is the virus doesn't like the heat. So you may be able to put things out in the sun to help kill off any questionable surfaces.

Former HOA President
BenA2
(Texas)

06/09/2020 5:15 PM  
You obviously don't have to let every member of the association into the pool. Whether you limit the number for practical purposes (they won't all fit) or because of the governor's order and health recommendations, you are on solid legal ground.

You can make arguments but once the board decides, that's it. You should accept it.
KerryL1
(California)

06/09/2020 5:41 PM  
I think Kelly sum it up well.

Our board just met today in an open zoom mtg too open our pool (and gym) on 6/12.Tthough we considered it, we decided a reservations system or system whet the Security kiosk officer would give out a certain number of fobs to the pool would be way too cumbersome and burdensome. We have set a limit that suits our HOA and will see how it goes.

We think there'll be pent-up demand for the gym & it'll get heavy use for a couple of weeks, just like the 1st week of January, and then taper off. We've limited gym usage to 8 resdeitns at a time. No f guests allowed in pool or gym.
KerryL1
(California)

06/09/2020 5:42 PM  
I think Kelly sum it up well.

Our board just met today in an open zoom mtg too open our pool (and gym) on 6/12.Tthough we considered it, we decided a reservations system or system whet the Security kiosk officer would give out a certain number of fobs to the pool would be way too cumbersome and burdensome. We have set a limit that suits our HOA and will see how it goes.

We think there'll be pent-up demand for the gym & it'll get heavy use for a couple of weeks, just like the 1st week of January, and then taper off. We've limited gym usage to 8 resdeitns at a time. No f guests allowed in pool or gym.
CourtneyS2
(Texas)

06/09/2020 6:43 PM  
Thank you Kelly I agree.
LetA
(Nevada)

06/09/2020 7:41 PM  
We were advised by both our council and insurance carrier to NOT open the pool, even if we followed every guideline from the health department to a T.. We opted to follow the advice of council and our insurance carrier and keep the pool closed until further notice.. For Nevada, the next phase is supposed to be announced at the end of June, things could change. We shall see.
BarbaraT1
(Texas)

06/10/2020 7:52 AM  
We opened the pool with a 25% capacity, and a reservation system. The intent of the reservation system was to ensure that owners could guarantee time at the pool, and save them the trouble of constantly coming by to check if it's at capacity. In the five days since we started, I have had nothing but complaints, threats to sue, demonstrate in front of my office, personal attacks, accusations that I have violated their rights.

One pool is open from 11am-8:30pm and the other is open from 1-6:30pm. They want it open "ALL THE TIME". They don't want a monitor, they think we can just get volunteers to sit out in the sun for hours on end and clean the bathrooms.

Forget the fact that we have no standing committees for lack of volunteers and that the pool is never open "all the time" - it's closed half the year and is normally only open from 9am-9pm, but nobody threatens to sue because it's not open at 4am in February. Forget the fact that last year they were begging me to hire a monitor to make the teenagers behave.

So whatever you decide, expect them to be unhappy about it.
CourtneyS2
(Texas)

06/10/2020 6:30 PM  
Thank you Barbara. We're know waiting to get legal advice from our Attorney and checking to see if were covered through our insurance carrier. I'll keep you'll posted.

Thank you
CD6
(Texas)

06/12/2020 11:01 AM  
We are in Texas and our pool is open, limited to 50% so that is 12 inside the fence at any time. That number includes non-swimming people as well.
We have a two hour limit for each group and log them in and take their temp.
There has been many complaints as stated above.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

06/12/2020 3:10 PM  
Courtney

As Barbara said:

So whatever you decide, expect them to be unhappy about it.

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Opening Pool Covid -19

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement