Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, May 28, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Get 1 free year community website and email newsletter hosting from Community123.com!
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: New Board election of Officers
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
SueB9
(Alaska)

05/21/2020 8:26 PM  
Our HOA just elected the 5 position board members/ 1 year term, at our annual homeowners meeting last week, We just received an email today stating that the board appointed a President, Secy-treasurer, and 3 vice-presidents. Our Bylaws list officers as; a President, a Vice-president, a Secretary, and a Treasurer, only allowing for the Sect-treasurer to be combined. Under the " Multiple Offices" section of our Bylaws Article "Officers and Their Duties", no person shall simultaneously hold more than one of any of the other offices, except in the event of special offices created. I wonder if vice-president, which is already listed in our Bylaws as an office, is considered a special office? How can this happen?
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

05/21/2020 8:48 PM  
Pretty funny ... all the other directors felt lesser because they weren’t officers?

It would be odd and likely counter to a tight reading of your bylaws.
SueB9
(Alaska)

05/21/2020 9:02 PM  

Yes , the obvious thing is all 3 are alpha males, and they appointed the one female to share both roles as secretary and treasurer!! I asked why one of the 3 male members could not assume the role of either secretary or treasurer, instead of laying more of the burden on the one woman member to do both?
BenA2
(Texas)

05/21/2020 9:30 PM  
It's a little strange but it doesn't violate the bylaws. They say no person shall hold more than one office, nothing about more than one person holding the same office.

Typically, the vice-president's only responsibility is taking over in case of the temporary absence of the president, so it wouldn't be a problem unless they can't decide who will run a meeting if the president can't make it.
BenA2
(Texas)

05/21/2020 9:35 PM  
Posted By SueB9 on 05/21/2020 9:02 PM

Yes , the obvious thing is all 3 are alpha males, and they appointed the one female to share both roles as secretary and treasurer!! I asked why one of the 3 male members could not assume the role of either secretary or treasurer, instead of laying more of the burden on the one woman member to do both?

You obviously have more information than me but I assumed they shared vice-president because no one wanted it. It is sad that in 2020 people assume the secretary and/or treasurer should be a woman but it's still common from what I've seen.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

05/22/2020 5:49 AM  
I don’t know that we understand the internals of why the woman is dual hatted - she must have wanted to this.

Alpha males?
KerryL1
(California)

05/22/2020 8:41 AM  
I don't think there's any violation of the Bylaws. Won't speculate about the rest.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > New Board election of Officers

Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement