Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, March 30, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Get 1 free year community website and email newsletter hosting from Community123.com!
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Owners asking for BOARD contact info
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
MichelleC8
(California)

03/23/2020 5:18 PM  
Our HOA has an owner who is adamant she legally has the right to the the boards personal info email and cell. All communication must be through our manager as this lady keeps threatening legal action each time she is sent a violation notice.

I can’t find anything in Davis Sterling about releasing personal contact info. Our manager is not going to release any contact information but this is a concern.
MarkW18
(Florida)

03/23/2020 5:47 PM  
A email account set-up that is forwarded to the individual email accounts of the board should have been done.

For instance, [email protected] is the forwarded account. The individual email addresses are linked to that.

Is the Board hiding behind the manager?
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

03/23/2020 6:11 PM  
Posted By MichelleC8 on 03/23/2020 5:18 PM
Our HOA has an owner who is adamant she legally has the right to the the boards personal info email and cell. All communication must be through our manager as this lady keeps threatening legal action each time she is sent a violation notice.

I can’t find anything in Davis Sterling about releasing personal contact info. Our manager is not going to release any contact information but this is a concern.

I'm shocked that your property manager doesn't already have a definitive answer.
BillH10
(Texas)

03/23/2020 6:22 PM  
Your Board is completely out of line. Their email addresses, at a minimum, should be published and well known.
AugustinD

03/23/2020 6:39 PM  
Posted By MichelleC8 on 03/23/2020 5:18 PM
Our HOA has an owner who is adamant she legally has the right to the the boards personal info email and cell. All communication must be through our manager as this lady keeps threatening legal action each time she is sent a violation notice. I can’t find anything in Davis Sterling about releasing personal contact info. Our manager is not going to release any contact information but this is a concern.
Under California law I believe the HOA does not have to provide phone numbers. Hence AFAIC it should not. But as of this writing, email addresses are arguably something a HOA has to provide. I believe it is the records inspection sections of Davis-Stirling and California corporation statutes, along with a recently enacted statute, that cover this. See:

https://www.davis-stirling.com/HOME/Statutes/Corp-Code-8330
https://www.davis-stirling.com/HOME/Statutes/Civil-Code-5210#axzz2CojkjgpM
https://www.davis-stirling.com/HOME/Membership-Lists

In late 2019, California's governor signed into law (effective now) SB323. (Thanks to KerryL1 for the latter information.) Among other things, SB323, "makes member e-mail addresses part of the membership list available to all members, upon request. Members can opt out of having their e-mail addresses included with the membership list, but the bill makes NO allowance for e-mail addresses that have already been provided to associations." For more information, see https://www.adamsstirling.com/blog/analysis-of-sb-323 Regarding email addresses, the bottom line of the latter site is: Talk to the HOA attorney.

But a caveat: It's true that this woman is perhaps legally entitled to the email addresses of all members, including directors. However there is zero requirement for directors to respond to her emails. I think the first email this woman sends to each director should be met with a response like the following: "Dear Ms. ____, I am unable to speak 'ex parte' to HOA members who have violation notices. Please send your concerns to the HOA manager. Thank you for understanding, Director _____." All subsequent emails about her violation notices must be ignored. For the HOA's own legal protection, the HOA and its board must insist that this person follow the procedure for appealing violations, then as desired, pursue IDR, ADR, et cetera.
MarkM19
(Texas)

03/23/2020 6:48 PM  
Bill,
This is the first time I have ever disagreed with a post from you. Giving up Personal email information is not a fiduciary duty as a board member. I also agree with others that a HOA email should always be setup that does not change. One email that does not change that is owned by the HOA not the PMC. As board members get elected and lost their positions they are added or removed.

If individual email addresses are used and people get used to sending notes to the last board and members change ex board members see notes that they no longer have privilege's to seeing. New board members could be left out of board interactions.

It takes minutes to set this type of forwarding setup on a gmail account.
KerryL1
(California)

03/23/2020 7:19 PM  
There is no requirement that directors' email addresses be given to Owners. Now, as Augustin shows, that email addresses are a part of CA "membership lists," those who do not want their email address "out there" need to let the Board, via management know to delete theirs.

Are you on the Board, Michelle? Has the Board called this woman to one or more hearings so she can say her piece?

I disagree with Bill too on this point.
MarkW18
(Florida)

03/23/2020 11:49 PM  
Posted By BillH10 on 03/23/2020 6:22 PM
Your Board is completely out of line. Their email addresses, at a minimum, should be published and well known.

I agree with Bill, and if you look at the websites for many HOA's, the email address of directors are listed, unless of course the skirts of a management company.

They are the governing body of an HOA. Can stand the fire, get out of the kitchen.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

03/24/2020 4:48 AM  
Why does it have to be their "Personal" email address? Just make a Gmail account and be done with it. Plus don't put your name in the information. Use the HOA's name when filling it out. That way it's not under one person's name when they receive email. It will be under the HOA's name.

I do this with my email all the time. Don't use my real name when setting it up. That way when people get my email it protects my ID. Simply put the HOA's name as first name and something else for the last when setting up account. This can be an account the other board members have a password to as well. Just maybe assign 1 person to send out email though...

Former HOA President
SheliaH
(Indiana)

03/24/2020 5:02 AM  
Serving on the board DOES NOT mean you give up your right to privacy. Some of you wonder why no one wants to serve on the baord, well, here's one reason. There's nothing wrong with having one email available For homeland to contact the board This way everyone gets the same information and the response is consistent and accurate.

This is also how rumors and discord gets started, with one person saying this to one person, with instructions not to tell so and so, or the people over there and so on. And we see examples all over the website of what happens when rumors and canned lies are allowed to spread.

Tell this homeowner If she wants a board member's personal contact info,
she can go to them personally and ask for it. If she ever gets on the board, she's welcome to give HER information out to whoever wants it. Until then, she'll just have to use the email set up that's accessible to all the board members.

AugustinD

03/24/2020 7:54 AM  
Posted By MarkW18 on 03/23/2020 11:49 PM
They are the governing body of an HOA. Can stand the fire, get out of the kitchen.
Nonsense. It is woefully inefficient and bad for a corporation to have volunteer directors answering individual owners' frequently niggling, ill-informed concerns. A manager's job is in part to run significant interference for the board on the myriad minor issues that arise.
BillH10
(Texas)

03/24/2020 8:02 AM  
I continue to personally feel Board members should be directly accessible by email. While 98% of communications from owners should properly go through the PM, owners should be able to "speak" personally with members of the Board--it is no different than if someone stops me to discuss an Association matter or concern or whatever while we are out walking. Or even knocks on the door, which happened three weeks ago.

However, I recognize some of our fellow citizens do not possess sufficient discretion or maturity and will abuse any communications channel.

That being the case, I certainly agree the Board can/should have email addresses different than their personal email: [email protected] or whatever. Doing so also creates a separation for legal purposes which has been previously discussed on this forum.
MarkM19
(Texas)

03/24/2020 8:26 AM  
As our HOA Board President I always like to preach to my board that whenever we speak to homeowners either by voice or in emails to give them one simple statement. It is that I am not speaking on behalf of the board, I am speaking to you as a single member of a 5 member team. I always tell them that if they want the whole board to hear your message please send it to our Board email address.

I can't tell you how many times in the past you will hear someone say the board told me they could do something when in fact they spoke to one member who gave his opinion on a situation.
AugustinD

03/24/2020 8:29 AM  
Posted By BillH10 on 03/24/2020 8:02 AM
I continue to personally feel Board members should be directly accessible by email. While 98% of communications from owners should properly go through the PM, owners should be able to "speak" personally with members of the Board
The OP indicated that this particular owner wants to talk about violation notices. The only proper venue for this is with the full board present, in a "hearing" setting. Else inappropriate biases may arise.

Contacting one of the "judges" or others in a position of deciding (from HOA directors to City Council members), outside of a hearing setting, is enough of a known problem that there is a name for it: "ex parte."
AugustinD

03/24/2020 8:30 AM  
Posted By MarkM19 on 03/24/2020 8:26 AM
I can't tell you how many times in the past you will hear someone say the board told me they could do something when in fact they spoke to one member who gave his opinion on a situation.
This nails it.
AugustinD

03/24/2020 8:34 AM  
Also, this person is threatening legal action over the violation notices. One stupid comment by a single director in isolation from the other directors could jeopardize the HOA's case. Some consideration should be given to telling this person that, since she has threatened legal action, the directors were left with no option other than to turn the matter over to the HOA attorney, and the HOA attorney directed that they only speak with the woman about the violation notices in a hearing setting. I expect the HOA insurer would want no less, as well. If the disputes with this person land in court, and the HOA directors did not do what the HOA attorney said to do, the HOA insurer might have grounds to refuse to pay for the HOA's defense.
AugustinD

03/24/2020 8:49 AM  
Posted By SheliaH on 03/24/2020 5:02 AM
Serving on the board DOES NOT mean you give up your right to privacy. Some of you wonder why no one wants to serve on the board, well, here's one reason.
This is also how rumors and discord gets started, with one person saying this to one person, with instructions not to tell so and so, or the people over there and so on. And we see examples all over the website of what happens when rumors and canned lies are allowed to spread.
From where I am sitting, kudos as well to the above remarks.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

03/24/2020 10:24 AM  
My association has a Gmail address which is the name of our HOA. Any Email sent to that address is automatically forwarded to the Email address of each BOD Member. We then decide how/who is to handle it.

I am not threatened by threats of legal action. My first reply is bring it on. I can see the BOD stepping it up when someone threatens legal action. Tell them as they have threatened legal action the BOD is in the process of turning all information over to the association's attorney for action so at this time the BOD will not be responding to your Email. Notice the expression "in the process".

In most cases the person threatening the legal will back down and ask the BOD if the issue can be discussed and an agreement reached. Last incident here, the person apologized to the BOD for the threat.
MarkW18
(Florida)

03/24/2020 11:30 AM  
Posted By AugustinD on 03/24/2020 7:54 AM
Nonsense. It is woefully inefficient and bad for a corporation to have volunteer directors answering individual owners' frequently niggling, ill-informed concerns. A manager's job is in part to run significant interference for the board on the myriad minor issues that arise.

As normal, you have paid attention to what others with experience have said. I am done with you.
AugustinD

03/24/2020 11:44 AM  
Promise?
MarkW18
(Florida)

03/24/2020 11:58 AM  
Posted By MarkW18 on 03/24/2020 11:30 AM

As normal, you have paid attention to what others with experience have said. I am done with you.

CORRECTED:
As normal, you have paid NOattention to what others with experience have said. I am done with you.
MarkW18
(Florida)

03/24/2020 11:59 AM  
Posted By AugustinD on 03/24/2020 11:44 AM
Promise?

COUNT ON IT
KerryL1
(California)

03/24/2020 4:18 PM  
I still agree with Sheila, Augustin and MarkM. The latter sums up one problem: "I can't tell you how many times in the past you will hear someone say the board told me they could do something when in fact they spoke to one member who gave his opinion on a situation." There is as also pointed out the problem of competing advice, ignorant directors trying to explain a budget line item, accusations of favoritism because some have director access and others do not, etc.

Certainly a gmail account for the whole board along the lines that JohnC has seems fine and would be necessary for self managed HOAs.His HOA doesn't have an onsite PM OR actual open meetings, so how else can owners communicate with their board?

With onsite property managers, there is no reason why an owner should have direct access to a director. And in CA, NO owners may have the phone number of another owner without permission.

Perhaps MarkW and Bill can tell us why owners should be able to phone or email individual directors. What are the reasons?
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

03/24/2020 4:47 PM  
If you want to speak with a member of the Board, go to a Board meeting.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

03/24/2020 4:47 PM  
Kerry

To clarify, we are not a self managed association. We do have an MC but their duties, as are all MC duties, are dependent on what a BOD agreed to when hired. Our PM basically does two things:

1. Handle our money (with some checks and balances) and prepares a 30 page monthly financial report for BOD review. Any owner can have an Email copy of this report. In 5 years, we have only had 2 owners request such and they received such within 24 hours. We do not hide anything.

2. Act as the heavy in sending out violation notices (as directed by the BOD) and following up with such and
tracking fines for such.

Our BOD Meetings are not closed. Granted we do not have to give owners notification of such meetings but they are open to any owner that requests to attend. In 5 years we have had 2 owners request such.
What did was open the meeting and at that time allow the owner to speak/ask questions. In both cases, the owners left happy and in one case, the owner asked how he could help us.

MarkW18
(Florida)

03/24/2020 8:12 PM  
If Board members want to have everything go through their management company, then I guess they shouldn't be in many position to say they have taken over running the place.

I had always set up a association email address using the Board members private email to forward. If all the emails go to the management company and not the Board, then who know what emails actually reach the Board.
KerryL1
(California)

03/25/2020 9:34 AM  
Please rest your last post, MarkW. It's incomprehensible in its current form. Thank you.
MarkW18
(Florida)

03/25/2020 10:02 AM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 03/25/2020 9:34 AM
Please rest your last post, MarkW. It's incomprehensible in its current form. Thank you.

You have a onsite general manager, an assistant general manager and a management company running your complex. Why do you need directors?
AugustinD

03/25/2020 10:07 AM  
Right, tell this to all the Fortune 500 companies' boards of directors.
You're funny.
MarkW18
(Florida)

03/25/2020 10:12 AM  
Posted By AugustinD on 03/25/2020 10:07 AM
Right, tell this to all the Fortune 500 companies' boards of directors.
You're funny.

Apartment complexes don't have board of directors and many of these newer ones are far better than condos and much better off financially.
AugustinD

03/25/2020 10:18 AM  
Posted By MarkW18 on 03/25/2020 10:12 AM
Apartment complexes don't have board of directors and many of these newer ones are far better than condos and much better off financially.
Uh huh. Apartment complexes are going to be owned by either private owners, companies without shareholders, or publicly held corporations (with shareholders and so a board). These owners are going to expect management to handle the smaller issues and only forward the larger issues.
MarkW18
(Florida)

03/25/2020 10:30 AM  
Posted By AugustinD on 03/25/2020 10:18 AM
Posted By MarkW18 on 03/25/2020 10:12 AM
Uh huh. Apartment complexes are going to be owned by either private owners, companies without shareholders, or publicly held corporations (with shareholders and so a board). These owners are going to expect management to handle the smaller issues and only forward the larger issues.

Yeah, right
KerryL1
(California)

03/25/2020 11:20 AM  
Uh, oh; I think that MarkW, a former CA Property manager, needs a refresher course in CA Corporations Codes re: the duties of boards of directors in non-profit mutual benefit corporations such as most CA Common Interest Developments (CIDs)

Then, he can review a typical set of bylaws about how the board may delegate the day-to-day "running" of the corporation to others, e.g., PMs. Those same Bylaws will say who's ultimately responsible for the HOA.

Again, why should Owners have the email addresses of individual directors in cases where there are full-time property managers such as our HOA?
AugustinD

03/25/2020 11:23 AM  
KerryL1, brilliant post.
MarkW18
(Florida)

03/25/2020 11:36 AM  
NOW, that is really funny, you lecturing me on how a HOA SHOULD run. Get out into the real HOA world before throwing stones, because you really don't know how things really get done.

Again, this is not a habit of yours, because you don't seem to have the time, but the second post says that one email account should be set up as a forwarding account to the individual email addresses of the Board members. Many associations, even Fortune 500 companies, have email addresses set up based on their domain address. It's not good to have your personal email address used for association business.
AugustinD

03/25/2020 11:38 AM  
Posted By MarkW18 on 03/25/2020 11:36 AM
NOW, that is really funny, you lecturing me on how a HOA SHOULD run.
That you would argue that a HOA board should direct the day-to-day operations of a HOA says it all.
MarkW18
(Florida)

03/25/2020 11:43 AM  
Posted By AugustinD on 03/25/2020 11:38 AM
That you would argue that a HOA board should direct the day-to-day operations of a HOA says it all.

Who in the hell do you think really runs these HOA's, the Board. You're joking, right?
AugustinD

03/25/2020 11:45 AM  
I can dig how you like to screw around.
MarkW18
(Florida)

03/25/2020 11:48 AM  
Posted By AugustinD on 03/25/2020 11:38 AM

Who do you think runs the day-to-day operations at Kerry's complex, the Board. What does it cost their association? At 211 units, the going price for a condo is about $15 a door, or $3165. I bet that doesn't scratch the surface in her case.
AugustinD

03/25/2020 11:51 AM  
You're the one who seems to be arguing that the Board should receive every single email from owners and so be intimately involved in day-to-day operations.

You're not making sense.
MarkW18
(Florida)

03/25/2020 12:05 PM  
And if they are self-managed, who gets the emails or correspondences?

For ten years, I sent up one email account for communication for the association. Never once, in over 120 plus associations, have I had ANY problems. You may know how to write legal mumbo gumbo letters, but it appears you are clueless on how HOA really work.
BillH10
(Texas)

03/25/2020 1:11 PM  
Kerry, you asked a day or two ago why I believe owners should have email (and other) access to members of the Board.

It is our belief a Board member should be accessible to owners for any sort of reasonable contact. We do not believe in, and do not wish to encourage, a belief board members are 'above' discussing association matters with owners when asked outside meetings. In a sense, a board member becomes a 'politician' on taking office--they are elected and have constituents.

You and others have correctly stated such conversations may result in downstream problems, and they can.

However, if the Board member is heads up, there is no need for any such issues or concerns. If a question is posed which cannot be answered or responded to, the simple response is "I cannot discuss that because of this or that". If it is something which should properly go to the PM, then the board member should refer the owner to the PM, or tell the owner the PM will be asked to contact him or her. If it is a process question, such as do I need to submit an ACC request to do this or that, the board member should refer the owner to the committee, website, or whatever. If it is landscape related, the Board member can ask the landscape chair to contact the owner.

We have been board members of associations here in Texas and in California, we have managed HOAs and condominiums for over 10 years. We have never had an issue arise from an off-line discussion with an owner. I am the president of the association in which we reside. I receive perhaps an email or call a month from an owner, and perhaps a question or two if we are out walking or attend a social gathering.

I'm trying to find a way to summarize this neatly and cannot come up with the words--simply put, I believe the Board should be accessible to informal contacts by owners, within reason of course.

CathyA3
(Ohio)

03/25/2020 3:01 PM  
Posted By BillH10 on 03/25/2020 1:11 PM
Kerry, you asked a day or two ago why I believe owners should have email (and other) access to members of the Board.

It is our belief a Board member should be accessible to owners for any sort of reasonable contact. We do not believe in, and do not wish to encourage, a belief board members are 'above' discussing association matters with owners when asked outside meetings. In a sense, a board member becomes a 'politician' on taking office--they are elected and have constituents.

... snipped for brevity ...

I don't think anyone has said that board members should be inaccessible. Several mentioned having a group HOA email account that is forwarded to all board members. This gives owners the access they need, and it is free if you use gamil or a similar service. This is so easy and so obvious, I don't understand why anyone would have an issue with it.

However, that's a far cry from giving out board members' individual email addresses.

The problem with this is that it leads to something we've talked about here in other threads: association business being conducted outside of official channels. If the issue is important enough, then it belongs in board meetings that are open to the entire community. If it's not important, then why bother with it?

In addition, these "off line" discussions can give the appearance of favoritism to certain owners, which is something that should be avoided. (This is one of the reasons our attorney said ix-nay to board members responding to questions on social media.)

Yes, I think that they are knowledgeable and disciplined board members out there who can maybe handle these individual discussions without getting themselves into trouble. But, to cite another often-heard complaint on this site, there are way too many board members who are neither knowledgeable nor disciplined. Why give them another tool for getting things wrong when it is so easy to get it right?
MarkW18
(Florida)

03/25/2020 3:56 PM  

And if they are self-managed. Where is Melissa when we don't need her?
KerryL1
(California)

03/25/2020 5:12 PM  
MarkW, I & others have repeated throughout this thread, Cathy was most recent, that the Board can have its own gmail account. In particular, I noted the one JohnC's board uses.

Thank you Bill for your mature and well-reasoned reply. The questions you use as examples are so routine that our Owners wouldn't even bother trying to email a director about them. They'd go straight to the PM, who'd reply by email the same day. I think Bill's been very lucky to have worked entirely with directors who'd give accurate replies to owners who might email them. We haven't been so fortunate here, and occasionally, a director or even the board prez has given woefully ignorant replies to face-to-face inquiries (we're elevator towers with lobbies & mailrooms so see owners in person every day).

Even our new very honest and hardworking board has new directors on it who simply don't yet have the knowledge they might need to answer an email question from an owner especially if the questions weren't as benign as bill's examples. As a seasoned director, I'd prefer they not be put on the spot and maintain their privacy.

We do trust our PM will forward inquiries and comments that are not easily answered to the Board in our monthly board packets. As George notes, we also have Open Forums at our monthly open board meetings, as required in CA, and we have two, not just one. We have a suggestion box in each mailroom and those remarks, if not handled by the PM are forwarded to the board. Owners here may also submit agenda items for the monthly open board meetings.

I'm still not understanding MarkW's replies. He seems to wonder what we board members do if we're not "running" the HOA. In a nutshell, we make policy and direct the PM to carry it out.

KerryL1
(California)

03/25/2020 5:12 PM  
MarkW, I & others have repeated throughout this thread, Cathy was most recent, that the Board can have its own gmail account. In particular, I noted the one JohnC's board uses.

Thank you Bill for your mature and well-reasoned reply. The questions you use as examples are so routine that our Owners wouldn't even bother trying to email a director about them. They'd go straight to the PM, who'd reply by email the same day. I think Bill's been very lucky to have worked entirely with directors who'd give accurate replies to owners who might email them. We haven't been so fortunate here, and occasionally, a director or even the board prez has given woefully ignorant replies to face-to-face inquiries (we're elevator towers with lobbies & mailrooms so see owners in person every day).

Even our new very honest and hardworking board has new directors on it who simply don't yet have the knowledge they might need to answer an email question from an owner especially if the questions weren't as benign as bill's examples. As a seasoned director, I'd prefer they not be put on the spot and maintain their privacy.

We do trust our PM will forward inquiries and comments that are not easily answered to the Board in our monthly board packets. As George notes, we also have Open Forums at our monthly open board meetings, as required in CA, and we have two, not just one. We have a suggestion box in each mailroom and those remarks, if not handled by the PM are forwarded to the board. Owners here may also submit agenda items for the monthly open board meetings.

I'm still not understanding MarkW's replies. He seems to wonder what we board members do if we're not "running" the HOA. In a nutshell, we make policy and direct the PM to carry it out.

MarkW18
(Florida)

03/25/2020 6:00 PM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 03/25/2020 5:12 PM

The problem is not that you don't understand, the problem is you don't care for anyone that might have a different opinion of yours!

I said from the very beginning I set up one specific email address for the association's governing body, just like Cathy mentioned and just like John mentioned and just like Bill mentioned, but you don't want to hear that.

You complain that your old Board was bad, but then, we only have your opinion on that, right?
KerryL1
(California)

03/25/2020 7:09 PM  
MarkW wrote: "... if you look at the websites for many HOA's, the email address of directors are listed, unless of course the skirts of a management company."

That SEEMS to say every individual director's email addy should be posted for Owners (and renters, too, I guess) to see. I do still disagree.

Off topic, but the three incumbents who sought reelection last October all were soundly whupped. I'm not the only person, then, who thought they were "bad."
MarkW18
(Florida)

03/25/2020 7:51 PM  
Prior to starting my own company, none of the companies I worked provided web portals or website for any of their HOA's, so none of their email addresses were available by us. I am sure that owners had some of the email addresses from over the years. That was the individual Board members decision, not ours.

My company provided web pages and web portals at no charge. Having one email address for the association's governing body plus the manager WAS the Board's decision, not mine. Most of the owners correspondence came to a manager, but an owner might occasionally send an email to the association's email address. If the manager responded the Board was blind copied, thus shielding their personal email account.

You should know, I know I do, that renters have no standing, so their email address would never be made available. But, you also should know that owners email addresses are now available, if they haven't opt-ed out, through the association's membership list.

Off topic: If the three got on once, they can get on again. This is from experience.
MichaelS66
(Arizona)

03/29/2020 1:13 AM  
We are a small community of 111 single-family homes. We just took over from the builder last month. We use a management company but given our size, it's not like our PM is onsite more than a couple of hours every other week.
Our board was elected last month and within 24 hours we all created new Gmail addresses with our [email protected] and had the PM blast them out to all the members along with listing them on our website. If you are not interested in being in touch with your community what are you doing on its board? I'm not directing this at anyone personally. I'm just saying you chose to run for a leadership position in your community. Why in the world would you hide your contact info? I guess I can see trying to protect your phone number, depending on the community. And for legal reasons, you should keep HOA business on a separate email. But to actively make yourself unreachable given what you volunteered for is baffling. Regardless of what the law says YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

03/29/2020 7:11 AM  
You are not unreachable if you choose to create a "public" email address. Which I personally would never use any portion of my name on. It would be something like "[email protected] Plus setting it up would not include my name but reference to the HOA. That way if someone got a reply it would show up in their inbox as from XXXHOA. Lessen the confusion of personal name and HOA name. People may delete saying they don't recognize the personal name.

This day and age I am a firm believer of keeping your PII private as much as possible. It may sound like your not being an open person. So what? I am not going to hand you over my personal information to prove it. HOA business is NOT personal anyways.

Example: A few years ago I posted to another HOA website before finding this one. It was full of complainers not doers. One person clearly had mental issues. It was to the point where some posters had to contact that person's HOA because they were a threat. The person posted a few threats of violence toward their HOA. They also got very much out of control on the website. It closed that website down a few times.

This person decided to try to publish my personal address/name on the website publicly. Basically telling people to come find me. The good thing? Is the information I posted was completely wrong. I made up my name and location when filling out to become a member. Also the public email I used also did not contain my real name. (We could respond privately on that site).

If I had not taken these simple "privacy" steps it could have put me, my neighbors, and family at risk. So it can be something as simple as not giving out certain private information like your name in your email address that can make a difference. It doesn't make me someone who is trying to "hide" anything. You can contact me. Just understand you have to know me as a person in real life for me to go any farther.

Former HOA President
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Owners asking for BOARD contact info

Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement