Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, April 08, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Get 1 free year community website and email newsletter hosting from Community123.com!
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: New 30 year old Manager
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
CarlaB4
(Florida)

03/22/2020 5:12 AM  
I live in Florida, in a 55+ community that is land lease. Old manager was fired, new manager is a 30 year old women, widow with no children. Our community is 20% 45-55 year old, and 80% 55+. The new manager is going to live in a house in our park. Can she at her age be a resident here ? The corporation says yes because she is their employee.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

03/22/2020 6:55 AM  
If she's an employee and one of the job benefits is having a home onsite, the answer is probably yes. Did you ask the board? If so, what was the response?

Your question sounds like you think a 30 year old with no kids and unmarried can't relate to people 45+ , which is beyond silly and smells of prejudice, which is highly offensive. this lady has been hired to do a JOB and as long as she does it properly, what do you care about the other stuff?
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

03/22/2020 10:25 AM  
Posted By SheliaH on 03/22/2020 6:55 AM
If she's an employee and one of the job benefits is having a home onsite, the answer is probably yes. Did you ask the board? If so, what was the response?

Your question sounds like you think a 30 year old with no kids and unmarried can't relate to people 45+ , which is beyond silly and smells of prejudice, which is highly offensive. this lady has been hired to do a JOB and as long as she does it properly, what do you care about the other stuff?

I agree.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

03/22/2020 11:08 AM  
I suggest reading your governing documents and any other paperwork you signed when you bought your home. The 55-and-older communities that I'm familiar with do not require that all residents must be 55 or older - there will be exceptions. I agree with the other posters that in-community housing would likely be an acceptable form of compensation (and it may be a job requirement).

Also it may be a violation of employment laws to restrict hiring by age. Is there such a thing as reverse age discrimination???
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

03/22/2020 11:33 AM  
What 30 year old wants to live in a mobile home park with all old people who complain and bytch about everything like they own the place. They are basically renters.
GenoS
(Florida)

03/22/2020 11:57 AM  
At her age. Tsk tsk tsk.
BenA2
(Texas)

03/22/2020 3:34 PM  
You would have to check your covenants. What your corporation is saying sounds reasonable.

It does not violate the FHA 55+ rules as long as 80% or more occupied units have seniors living in them.
BenA2
(Texas)

03/22/2020 3:37 PM  
Posted By CathyA3 on 03/22/2020 11:08 AM
I suggest reading your governing documents and any other paperwork you signed when you bought your home. The 55-and-older communities that I'm familiar with do not require that all residents must be 55 or older - there will be exceptions. I agree with the other posters that in-community housing would likely be an acceptable form of compensation (and it may be a job requirement).

Also it may be a violation of employment laws to restrict hiring by age. Is there such a thing as reverse age discrimination???

Interestingly, the federal Age Discrimination Act only applies to people who are 40 and over so it is legal to discriminate against younger people based on age.
PaulJ6
(New York)

03/23/2020 3:16 AM  
Posted By CarlaB4 on 03/22/2020 5:12 AM
I live in Florida, in a 55+ community that is land lease. Old manager was fired, new manager is a 30 year old women, widow with no children. Our community is 20% 45-55 year old, and 80% 55+. The new manager is going to live in a house in our park. Can she at her age be a resident here ? The corporation says yes because she is their employee.

If it’s a 55+ community, aren’t the 45-54 year olds already violating the rules? If not, what’s one more under-55?
MarshallT
(New York)

03/24/2020 1:57 PM  
As some have already mentioned, you should first refer to your governing documents, but it is very possible that she can live in your community. This could be beneficial to you because she will get a good sense of what your community is like and understand what its needs are.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

03/24/2020 4:44 PM  
It’s been two days ... no comments from OP?
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

03/24/2020 4:48 PM  
Posted By MarshallT on 03/24/2020 1:57 PM
As some have already mentioned, you should first refer to your governing documents, but it is very possible that she can live in your community. This could be beneficial to you because she will get a good sense of what your community is like and understand what its needs are.

I agree.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > New 30 year old Manager

Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement