Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, March 30, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Get 1 free year community website and email newsletter hosting from Community123.com!
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Board Resolution and Enforcement
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
CjB2
(Texas)

03/19/2020 3:30 PM  
In Texas,

Some of the current board members and a prior board member have filed a board resolution title Late fee and find schedule resolution. In this resolution they have changed the delinquent fees the service charges along with interest rates collection statements CCR violations minimum and maximum along with the reoccurring charges and added lot mowing. RCC an hours I've never been amended and the violation of policy and fines are very clear. However the board and property management company are trying to say that and threaten the high oh find on a daily occurrence because it is part of the associations finding policy. I have challenged them on this topic to which the property management owner stated that the board "The association and Board of Directors has every right and obligation to create and clarify rules and regulations as outlined in the Declaration of Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions. See ARTICLE VIII DUTIES AND POWERS OF THE PROPERTY OWNERS ASSOCIATION. Rules and Regulations do not require the vote of the membership. Changes to the DCC&R's would require a vote of the membership."

To which I replied and quoted the CCRs of ;

Article VIII Duties and Powers of the Property Owners Association, Section 8.10 of the Phase 4 CCRS does state the following “The Association may adopt, amend, repeal and enforce rules and regulations (“Rules and Regulations"), fines levees enforcement provisions as deemed necessary or desirable with respect to the interpretation of implementation of this Declaration, the operation of the Association, the use and enjoyment of the Common Areas, and the use of any other property, facilities or improvements owned or operated by the Association.

What that means is that for items listed above that the board feels necessary may be done under this section given that there there a is majority of approval by all lot owners in the subdivision, with a percentage of 66 2/3%. You have just confirmed that an amendment to the CCRs would require this vote from the membership.

Section 8.11 (i.) .i) is specific enough for there to be no further interoperation required as it states the following; "Fines will be based on a pert notice or violation charge. For first violation, a fine ranging from 50 to 500 will be assessed. In the event the violation is not cured within the timeframe specified in the final notice of violation, and additional fine ranging from 100 to 500 will be assessed there after for every 30 day period in which the violation is not corrected. “

From the section above you will see that there is no occurrence of daily infractions or fines as stated in the amended fine policy and the correspondence from your employee"

The interesting part is they have already attempted to fine my account several thousand dollars, and it has been back dated to November of 2019, and have never received an actual violation. They keep saying my house is out of compliance from not completing an item they thought I was was going to do during my constriction. However, they have refunded my construction deposit which marks my home as complete, as defined in our CCR and in their own documentation. These fines appeared on my account approximately one year after my home was marked as complete.

If I were to go to court that only cost association and my neighbors time and money due to the biased from the board in the property management company for holding them accountable.

What are the thoughts heres?
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

03/19/2020 3:55 PM  
I mean no disrespect but I could not understand half of what you wrote.
BenA2
(Texas)

03/19/2020 4:29 PM  
In some states, as I understand, HOA boards are allowed to clarify CC&Rs when they are not clear. In Texas, it is established law that if the CC&Rs are ambiguous, the courts must rule in favor of the free use of the land. In other words, they must rule in favor of the owner. I think that means that they cannot "create or clarify" anything in the CC&Rs as they apply to individual owner's property.

I would suggest speaking to an attorney or at least try to get the board to consult with an attorney. As you mentioned, if someone challenged this in court it could cost the HOA a lot of money.
AugustinD

03/19/2020 5:11 PM  
Posted By CjB2 on 03/19/2020 3:30 PM
"The association and Board of Directors has every right and obligation to create and clarify rules and regulations as outlined in the Declaration of Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions. See ARTICLE VIII DUTIES AND POWERS OF THE PROPERTY OWNERS ASSOCIATION. Rules and Regulations do not require the vote of the membership. Changes to the DCC&R's would require a vote of the membership."
The courts say that Board-created Rules and Regulations cannot create restrictions that exceed what is already in the DCC&Rs.

Else like JohnT38, I am struggling with your English. Maybe you could get someone to edit your post and explain (1) what rule the Board created that you do not like; (2) what covenant does this rule violate; and (3) about how much money is at stake here?
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

03/20/2020 10:08 AM  
If fining is allowed via your Covenants, then the BOD must set a fine schedule. They can also modify such.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Board Resolution and Enforcement

Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement