Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, March 30, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Get 1 free year community website and email newsletter hosting from Community123.com!
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Board member sends email to other board member, listing HOA residents who should get coronavirus
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
PaulJ6
(New York)

03/18/2020 10:42 AM  
In my HOA, as I've posted, the board is pretty secretive, and there is some animosity between the property manager (who controls the board) and the board, on the one hand, and other owners, on the other hand.

Previously the board president, while intoxicated at night, had screamed names of owners and other board members who she wanted to "get". Since she screamed this onsite, HOA owners heard her.

Now the board president emailed another board member, saying that she "hates ABC and wants ABC to get coronavirus". ABC is an owner in the HOA. (I am not ABC.)

The other board member forwarded the board president's email to a few other owners and me.

I find this appalling--wanting a neighbor, and owner in the HOA that you run, to get coronavirus?

Would you be so offended by this that you'd do something such as forwarding the board president's email to ABC or to the entire HOA? Or would you ignore it?

See why I despise HOAs?

Thanks.
MarkM19
(Texas)

03/18/2020 10:52 AM  
Paul,
This is not a HOA problem. It is a Person problem. I would hope she is ashamed this morning about her behavior while drunk. I am not sure I would be doing a lot of forwarding of this email. I would tell her that if she decides to run in the next Election you will forward to as many as possible to make sure everyone knows that she is not cutout to be on a Board of Directors with such poor judgement. If she does not take the threat then do what you promised and send the email or share the information with others.

HOAs are not the problem the people we elect to serve can be the problem IMO.
AugustinD

03/18/2020 11:02 AM  
I think the main value of PaulJ6's post is that it demonstrates once again how a bunch of ego-driven amateurs frequently run boards.

On the plus side, I am seeing some experts remark about how the goal (so to speak) is to get to about 60% infected. Then enough people are expected to be immune that a decline in the rate of infection will start.

God knows HOA Boards are well qualified to help accelerate the rate of infection in the short term.
BillH10
(Texas)

03/18/2020 11:05 AM  
Paul, Mark is correct.

This person happens to be whatever she is in the HOA but the HOA is not responsible for her actions, any more than email is responsible for her actions. You did not comment you hate email, although it has facilitated her communication on the subject.

Would I want this person to hold a position of responsibility in any organization of which I am a member? Of course not. Neither should you.

Don't blame the HOA for this, or attempt to morph this person's actions into commentary regarding your feeling about HOAs in general. While you may/do have valid reasons for your beliefs regarding HOAs, this cannot be added to the Valid Reason column. In the words of colleagues I first met when I was moved to Texas in 1997: that dog don't hunt.
GenoS
(Florida)

03/18/2020 1:31 PM  
Fuggedaboutit. Consider the source and that the source was inebriated. Then ask yourself, "What do you expect from a pig but a grunt?", as my grandmother used to say.
KerryL1
(California)

03/18/2020 2:21 PM  
I'm with MarkM & Bill on this one. My many years on the Board here with maybe 20 different directors and I think only a couple were ego-driven amateurs and they both happened to be attorneys! Who, sadly, served at the same time and fed each other's egos and, btw, ignorance of HOA law.

Of that 20, most were amateurs at first and were willing to learn. A few, though, were simply lazy & contributed nothing.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

03/18/2020 2:30 PM  
Of course it's appalling - why in the hell would anyone wish COVID-19 on anyone, especially when people have DIED from it?

This is as stoopid as a news story I heard yesterday about a lady I forget where she's from) who got herself busted after she screamed at a cop when he was issuing a ticket for her parking in a handicapped parking space - as part of her hissy fit, this dingbat threated to cough on the cop because "she had the coronavirus". Now she has a ticket and charges for threatening a cop. I don't know if she was drunk or high (maybe both) but mostly she sounds like a dumbass.

Back to your HOA - I don't know why this board member would send you or the other homeowners an email like this. A board member with guts and a sense of responsibility would notify his/her colleagues and then all of them would march to the president's home and tell her in no uncertain terms how idiotic she sounded. They might even consider an emergency executive session where they'd relieve the president of that title and suggest she get counseling and enroll in AA.

No, I wouldn't forward the board member's email to the entire HOA or ABC - I suspect someone has already told him/her what happened (if she was that loud, I'm sure other people heard it). I WOULD send a reply to the board member telling him/her spreading gossip (even if this is true) is unprofessional and childish. Grownups should be able to call out other adults on cra cra behavior in a professional, yet firm manner, and if he/she and the rest of the board can't or refuse to do that, they need to rethink serving on the board.
Of course, this might piss them off and you already have a frosty relationship with them, but you're also moving out, so maybe you should leave this alone. If he/she asks for your opinion, politely walk away or tell him THIS is yet another reason why you're moving out.

That said, this type of behavior isn't exclusive to HOAs - everyone has known or heard of people who can't hold their liquor or act liquored up even when they're cold sober. As Mark said, the key is in paying attention to the type of people elected to the board and holding them, yourself and everyone else accountable.

(By the way, the actual name of this virus, coronavirus is a family of viruses including the flu and this one)
KerryL1
(California)

03/18/2020 3:42 PM  
Aren't you moving out of this HOA, Paul? If so, why does her terrible conduct matter to you?
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

03/18/2020 5:10 PM  
The Board probably has the ability to censure the director in some fashion. Or, to pass a resolution of censure, if there aren’t specific methods.

It needs to be on the record.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

03/18/2020 5:12 PM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 03/18/2020 5:10 PM
The Board probably has the ability to censure the director in some fashion. Or, to pass a resolution of censure, if there aren’t specific methods.

It needs to be on the record.

I agree and used against her come election time.
SueW6
(Michigan)

03/19/2020 5:44 PM  
Ye gods, remove her as president using your bylaw instructions on how to remove an officer of the board.

She should not have the prestige or power of that position.

JohnC46
(South Carolina)

03/20/2020 10:05 AM  
Posted By SueW6 on 03/19/2020 5:44 PM
Ye gods, remove her as president using your bylaw instructions on how to remove an officer of the board.

She should not have the prestige or power of that position.

I agree.
MarshallT
(New York)

03/20/2020 10:27 AM  
Hi Paul,

Do you know if the board would be willing to remove the president from her official position? Most HOA bylaws will determine what a board can do when it comes to removing an officer.

Of course you don't want someone like this representing your community. I would not share this email with everyone, but instead, seek legal advice if the board is not willing to take action.
PaulJ6
(New York)

03/20/2020 10:29 AM  
Thanks.

In my HOA:

The property manager runs (and decides the outcome of) board elections.

The property manager thus picks the board and the officers.

The property manager is (I am pretty certain) receiving above-market payments for its "property management services".

The property manager picked the board president (who wants ABC to get coronavirus) because the board presidents shouts down any questions or dissent.

The property manager is a bully and likes the president, who is a bully.

Thus the board will not remove the president.
MarkW18
(Florida)

03/20/2020 10:38 AM  
Do you live in Trump Tower?
MarkM19
(Texas)

03/20/2020 10:39 AM  
Paul,
I am sure you have a lot of us reading this shaking our heads. The reason the PM has so much control is because the HOA let's her have it. The PM has zero authority to assign seats on any Board in America that I am aware of. The Board does this as part of its duties. A strong PM may influence decision if the Board allows it.

I believe I saw some comments about you leaving this Community. If this is true let it go. Only someone who has the drive and the intestinal fortitude to fight for this HOA can get this thing turned around. It won't take months and may take years.

If you see the right person I would send them to this site where much good advice is available and a support system for people that are taking on this big a task.

The best advice I can give you is Good things don't happen overnight they happen over time.
MarkM19
(Texas)

03/20/2020 10:40 AM  
MarkW18,
Cheap Political shots won't help anyone.
MarkW18
(Florida)

03/20/2020 11:00 AM  
Posted By MarkM19 on 03/20/2020 10:40 AM
MarkW18,
Cheap Political shots won't help anyone.

That's wasn't cheap, it cost a fortune to live there!
PaulJ6
(New York)

03/20/2020 12:27 PM  
Thanks, MarkM19. Yes, the HOA lets it happen. Residents are totally apathetic--even when the property manager was illegally recording audio conversations, people didn't say much.

I am moving soon and cannot wait.

MarkW18, it's not a Trump building. I thought about buying a new place in one of the Trump buildings on Central Park South (prices are remarkably low there despite the location, but you get nothing more than a hotel room equivalent and the buildings are from the 1930s, and there are other factors). I decided to go elsewhere.
KellyM3
(North Carolina)

03/21/2020 9:02 AM  
Paul,

I despise your HOA.

This is silly. I wouldn't engage in it.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Board member sends email to other board member, listing HOA residents who should get coronavirus

Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement