Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, March 30, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Get 1 free year community website and email newsletter hosting from Community123.com!
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: VA Condo Assoc fining us for rule that doesn't exist, against state law, and supreme court ruling.
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
JR13
(Virginia)

03/06/2020 5:06 PM  
It all started when we first got a letter saying we need to C&D harassing the geese "shooing them off" with a remote control car. That it was an illegal activity. I sent a copy of this letter to the USDA and the USDA replied stating it was perfectly legal citing "§ 21.41 - Depredation permits" which states: No permit is required merely to scare or herd depredating migratory birds.

The Condo Assoc/board obviously didn't like this response, and each email/letter we received constantly evolved with a new reason/excuse as to why we couldn't shoo them away. With each response we specifically requested they cite which rule in the bylaws we were violating or which rule gave them the authority to fine us for such a thing.

They "both the board, condo assoc. "manager", and 2 lawyers" have all quoted the following bylaw stating it gives them full authority over the common grounds. In all actuality it's just a maintenance clause: SECTION TWO: UPKEEP OF THE CONDOMINIUM. All powers and responsibilities with regard to maintenance, repair, renovation, restoration, and replacement of the condominium shall belong (1) to the Unit Owners' Association in the case of the general common elements, and (2) to the individual unit owner in the case of any unit and-limited common elements appertaining thereto or any part thereof. Each unit owner shall afford to the other unit owners and to the Unit Owners' Association and to any agents or employees of either such access through his unit as may be reasonably necessary to enable them to exercise and discharge their respective powers and responsibilities. But to the extent that damage is inflicted on the common elements or any unit through which access is taken, the unit owner causing the same, or the Unit Owners' Association if it caused the same, shall be liable for the prompt repair thereof.

They have never quoted this bylaw: PAGE 12: SECTION EIGHT: RULES OF CONDUCT. (a) Residents and guests shall exercise extreme care in making noises or using musical instruments, radios, televisions, and amplifiers that may disturb other residents.

BUT! they have quoted a rule in our "handbook" that says: DISTURBANCES: No home owners, their tenants, guests, families or invitees shall make or cause to be made any noises, music or disturbances which shall annoy or disturb other residents.

It's very important to know that our handbook is not a legal document and is not filed in circuit court. It's also prefaced stating it's just an outline of the declaration and bylaws. Nothing more. Nothing less. This is page 1 of the "handbook":

PREFACE TO THE % % CONDOMINIUM ASSOCIATION RULES & REGULATIONS
This booklet lists and outlines the condominium Rules & Regulations which were created with authority vested in the Board of Directors by the Virginia Condominium Act and the Cedar Lakes Condominium Association, Inc., Declarations and Bylaws. The Rules and Regulations set forth standards which all unit owners, their tenants, guests, friends, families, invitees, etc., are to comply with to insure a quality standard of lifestyle for all residents.

==
The board held a meeting. We, for obvious reasons, didn't attend. They sent us this letter: Due to the ongoing nature of this issue, and the distress it causes other residents, a violation hearing was held at % at the clubhouse. We are sorry that you did not attend, and the Board held the hearing in your absence. The board discussed the ongoing non-compliance and determined that $50.00 per violation occurrence, in accordance with the Virginia Condominium Act, would be assessed to your account. We have added two instances that you were personally witnessed by the Board President for a total of $100. Going forward, your account will be assessed a $50 fee each time you are observed harassing the geese or causing any other nuisance, including parking nuisances.

-not even going to get into the parking issue, but it's an equally entertaining story.

More recently their attorney acknowledged the email from the USDA and stated that she was aware that harassing the geese was legal. That the issue wasn't with me harassing the geese but was with the time and manner in which I chose to do so. She didn't go into detail about the manner... which I assume was using my RC car or my laser pointer, she did however state I was doing this at 2AM which is not true.

We replied to her email stating that the fines are in violation of VA State Code "55-79.42:1" and VA Supreme Court case ruling "Shadowood Condominium Association v. Fairfax County Redevelopment and Housing Authority" which states the board cannot impose penalties for violations outside of the Declaration and By Laws. We also asked if it was legal why all of our fines say "$50 harassing the geese" and to remove the fines - no response to date.

==
To further paint a picture: They send us tons of other emails with baseless accusations stating I put a camera on my RC car and was recording the neighbors and that it's considered harassment. That I'm harassing and intimidating the neighbors to the point they feel unsafe in their own home, etc. All which are untrue. Over the course of two weeks I had one lady try to dump a bucket of water on head, people outside screaming at me, cursing at me, following me around with cameras, and one older guy even grabbed my arm. Luckily that happened in front of my security camera and I was able to press assault charges against him. We notified management, with PROOF "images/video" and their response was "I'm sorry the neighbors feel the need to record you for their own protection", "VA is a one party state, the neighbors are perfectly within their right to record you, I CANNOT STOP THE RESIDENTS FROM DOING SOMETHING THAT IS PERFECTLY LEGAL". They also say that just me using the common grounds "walking around the lake" is lurking and that it's making the residents feel uncomfortable. They didn't acknowledge the physical assault at all.

So if someone lies about me doing something, it's harassment and they are gravely concerned. If the neighbors do it, and I have proof, it's for their own protection. If the other residents are doing something that's legal it's OK, but if I'm doing something that's legal they fine me for it. I'm currently researching if there's an age/sex discrimination lawsuit here, probably not, in addition to the obvious lawsuit.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

03/06/2020 5:29 PM  
This sounds very involved ... and, also like there are things missing.

I know and hate the geese - so, I’m not a goose lover.
JR13
(Virginia)

03/06/2020 5:41 PM  
I'm afraid, aside from the emails where they keep evolving their reasoning, and other emails with several other baseless accusations, this is everything.

It's illegal C&D. "it's legal"
It's animal cruelty. "it's not"
They have full control over the common grounds. "they don't"
It was causing a general disturbance. "my quiet use of the common grounds doesn't constitute a disturbance simply because other people don't like how I'm using it"
It was interfering with the quiet and peaceful enjoyment of the common grounds. "nobody uses the common grounds because they're full of goose poop and I don't use the rc car within 50' of anyone
It was interfering with the quiet and peaceful enjoyment inside of the units. "they're talking about the geese honking but they do this without human interaction as well"
It's causing an audible disturbance. "the toy is electric/silent"
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

03/06/2020 5:53 PM  
All legal details aside....... you dont seem to be compatible with community living. Living in close quarters such as a condo, people try to get along with each other to keep the peace.

Your personality is the opposite of this. Long term, you really need to re-assess if you want to live there. Its obvious you would be better suited in a rural area with no neighbors.

If you decide to stay, you will have lots of legal expenses to sue them or they will sue you. Doest matter who is right. It will end up in court and the lawyers will win.
JR13
(Virginia)

03/06/2020 6:09 PM  
You sound like our board. "All legal details aside". I do enjoy "community living". It's the members on the board and a select few residents that are treating the development like a retirement community that are better suited elsewhere. It says on our neighborhood sign "a lifestyle community". If they wanted to sit around and watch geese poop all day maybe they should "re-assess" if they want to live here. I'm in the process of getting a petition signed to amend the bylaws to expressly give owners the right to shoo the geese away and have, so far, received overwhelming support. Several members have thanked me for my efforts in reducing the amount of goose droppings and are happy to be able to walk to the clubhouse, walk their dogs, or just enjoy the common grounds in general, without stepping on goose poop.
AugustinD

03/06/2020 6:33 PM  
Posted By JR13 on 03/06/2020 5:06 PM
The board held a meeting. We, for obvious reasons, didn't attend.
The reasons are not obvious to me. Why did you not attend this hearing? You could have provided all the reasoning you provided here, in this online forum and maybe put this dispute to rest. If this goes to court, I think your failure to appear for the hearing complicate things, and not in your favor. The courts want to see HOAs give members due process. When your HOA board did this, you thumbed your nose at the directors. Did it occur to you that maybe this was a chance for you to educate this all-volunteer board?
Posted By JR13 on 03/06/2020 6:09 PM
I'm in the process of getting a petition signed to amend the bylaws to expressly give owners the right to shoo the geese away and have, so far, received overwhelming support.
Have you reviewed the governing documents for the exact process for amending? You will need to dot every i and cross every t.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

03/06/2020 6:45 PM  
Even if a few people vaguely agree with what your doing but would never dare to do it themselves....... and the majority of people dont want you to do something, your not community living. Your the enemy for rocking the boat.

Doesn't really matter if its geese or anything else..... not the point.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

03/06/2020 6:47 PM  
Not sure what to tell you....... your going to end up in court. If thats what you want to do with your life, continue doing what your doing.
AugustinD

03/06/2020 6:54 PM  
Over the course of two weeks I had one lady try to dump a bucket of water on head, people outside screaming at me, cursing at me, following me around with cameras, and one older guy even grabbed my arm. Luckily that happened in front of my security camera and I was able to press assault charges against him.
What did the police and district attorney do? Was the guy actually charged with assault and/or battery?
We notified management, with PROOF "images/video" and their response was "I'm sorry the neighbors feel the need to record you for their own protection", "VA is a one party state, the neighbors are perfectly within their right to record you, I CANNOT STOP THE RESIDENTS FROM DOING SOMETHING THAT IS PERFECTLY LEGAL". They also say that just me using the common grounds "walking around the lake" is lurking and that it's making the residents feel uncomfortable. They didn't acknowledge the physical assault at all.
What is it that you expect the board to do about the physical assault? Nationwide, when things get physical (as in an assault) between two HOA members, I believe conventional legal wisdom is to leave this to the police and also advise the HOA member get an attorney and see a civil restraining order.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

03/06/2020 8:55 PM  

The board held a meeting. We, for obvious reasons, didn't attend. YOU for obvious reasons were stupid not not attend and defend yourself! That was your definite BAD in potentially giving the HOA reason to send you such a letter as you later note. LOL .. 50 lashes with a wet noodle for being dumb and not publically standing up for your rights. They sent us this letter: Due to the ongoing nature of this issue, and the distress it causes other residents, a violation hearing was held at % at the clubhouse. We are sorry that you did not attend, and the Board held the hearing in your absence. The board discussed the ongoing non-compliance and determined that $50.00 per violation occurrence, in accordance with the Virginia Condominium Act, would be assessed to your account. We have added two instances that you were personally witnessed by the Board President for a total of $100. Going forward, your account will be assessed a $50 fee each time you are observed harassing the geese or causing any other nuisance, including parking nuisances.

-not even going to get into the parking issue, but it's an equally entertaining story.

More recently their attorney acknowledged the email from the USDA and stated that she was aware that harassing the geese was legal. That the issue wasn't with me harassing the geese but was with the time and manner in which I chose to do so. She didn't go into detail about the manner... which I assume was using my RC car or my laser pointer, she did however state I was doing this at 2AM which is not true. LOL ... Request the attorney to provide positive PROOF

We replied to her email stating that the fines are in violation of VA State Code "55-79.42:1" and VA Supreme Court case ruling "Shadowood Condominium Association v. Fairfax County Redevelopment and Housing Authority" which states the board cannot impose penalties for violations outside of the Declaration and By Laws. We also asked if it was legal why all of our fines say "$50 harassing the geese" and to remove the fines - no response to date. Hope you also sent that awesome response “Certified Return Receipt” via US Mail!!! Keep in mind while some Courts will accept email trransactions ... Certified Return Receipt (where have to physically sign) can get better responses.

Over the course of two weeks I had one lady try to dump a bucket of water on head, people outside screaming at me, cursing at me, following me around with cameras, and one older guy even grabbed my arm. Luckily that happened in front of my security camera and I was able to press assault charges against him. We notified management, with PROOF "images/video" and their response was "I'm sorry the neighbors feel the need to record you for their own protection", "VA is a one party state, the neighbors are perfectly within their right to record you, I CANNOT STOP THE RESIDENTS FROM DOING SOMETHING THAT IS PERFECTLY LEGAL". Attempted physical violence is NOT legal and should be reported to local law enforcement!. Use them to your advantage and when needed.

JR13
(Virginia)

03/06/2020 9:03 PM  
Stupid to not attend? They wanted to fine me for harassing the geese. I wasn't going to entertain their abuse of power so they could use the forum to continue their posturing. We were also advised by a lawyer not to attend considering.
JR13
(Virginia)

03/06/2020 9:07 PM  
Not a few. A majority. Not vaguely. Whole hardheartedly agree to the point where they're willing to sign a petition to amend the bylaws. I'm sure your other 3500+ posts on this forum are equally as helpful.
JR13
(Virginia)

03/06/2020 9:09 PM  
They're trying to fine me in violation of a rule we didn't agree to in our governing documents. They were doing it for intimidation purposes only. They had no intention of listening to anything we had to say as evident in the responses I've provided in my original post.
JR13
(Virginia)

03/06/2020 9:10 PM  
And yes, I've unfortunately had to read them several times over.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

03/06/2020 9:34 PM  
Posted By JR13 on 03/06/2020 9:03 PM
Stupid to not attend? They wanted to fine me for harassing the geese. I wasn't going to entertain their abuse of power so they could use the forum to continue their posturing. We were also advised by a lawyer not to attend considering.

YEP ... FULLY understood they wanted to fine you for something TOTALLY STUPID!!! So ... if the issue ends up in a Court of Law what will you tell a JUDGE as your reason for not attending their supposed “abuse of power” meeting??? YEP that meeting which most likely your CCR’s require of your BOD to have regarding any complaints??? While I am not an attorney ...I suggest you consider a different attorney if he gave that actual advice.
JR13
(Virginia)

03/07/2020 4:47 AM  
Posted By JanetB2 on 03/06/2020 9:34 PM
Posted By JR13 on 03/06/2020 9:03 PM

YEP ... FULLY understood they wanted to fine you for something TOTALLY STUPID!!! So ... if the issue ends up in a Court of Law what will you tell a JUDGE as your reason for not attending their supposed “abuse of power” meeting??? YEP that meeting which most likely your CCR’s require of your BOD to have regarding any complaints??? While I am not an attorney ...I suggest you consider a different attorney if he gave that actual advice.

They didn't serve us properly per §55.1-1959 - we received their certified letter 8/7/19 with a hearing date scheduled for 8/14/19.
WalterH4
(Indiana)

03/07/2020 8:11 AM  
JR13, you seem like the guy who enjoys commotion, and likes to stir the pot. When folks are annoyed by you, I get the feeling you enjoy this, and rather than trying to show them consideration, you instead do the opposite and try to annoy them more, because you are mad that they were annoyed in the first place... and so you seek to annoy them more. And I'm sure you feel justified and believe you are the good guy battling bad guys. This character trait is both good and bad... depending on context.

I'd like to know the ratio of residents who consider you a nuisance vs. those who are glad to have you as a neighbor. If you don't have overwhelming majority support behind you, then IMO, you should chill out, and really are the nuisance.

But if you are correct in saying that you have "overwhelming support from your neighbors", then maybe those who are annoyed by you really are the ones who should consider moving to an actual retirement community with stricter rules.

It all really comes down to "like-mindedness" of the majority. If you offend the majority, then the HOA is going to win here. If you instead are supported by the majority, then you have a chance to prevail -- but you should be ready to become a board member, and recruit a few others to take over the board, and make the board align to the "majority thinking" rather than catering to the grouchy minority (as you seem to indicate).

You are walking in gray territory, and no matter if you have a case or not, if the board remains in power, and has the general support of the HOA, you are screwed, and will find yourself in court. Once the attorney's get involved, costs skyrocket. Are you prepared for that risk and commotion? Is it worth it to you?

Your only hope here, IMO, is to plan a coupe, and vote in a new board (you included) who are like-minded with the majority of the HOA. But without that type of support, you're gonna get screwed, most likely. That's just how it seems to usually work out.
AugustinD

03/07/2020 8:31 AM  
JR13, I hear you. Some weird things are happening that fail your common sense test. The condo association has imposed fines on your account, and you are unhappy about this, to say the least. Plus you have been physically assaulted. I think the key to success is to be methodical. Ultimately you may have a valid complaint that you may file with the state of Virginia's Common Interest Community Board. More on this at the end of this post.
Posted By JR13 on 03/07/2020 4:47 AM
They didn't serve us properly per §55.1-1959 - we received their certified letter 8/7/19 with a hearing date scheduled for 8/14/19.
So the August hearing could reasonably be argued to be invalid. But the fines have still been applied to your account, correct? All the Board has to do is call for another hearing. Meanwhile, if your actions regarding the geese could be argued to be a "nuisance" prohibited by your governing documents, I think the board will continue to maintain you owe the fines.
It all started when we first got a letter saying we need to C&D harassing the geese "shooing them off" with a remote control car. That it was an illegal activity. I sent a copy of this letter to the USDA and the USDA replied stating it was perfectly legal citing "§ 21.41 - Depredation permits" which states: No permit is required merely to scare or herd depredating migratory birds.
By my reading, federal regulation 50 CFR 21.41 says one does not need a permit to scare or herd depredaging migratory birds. A condominium may still, under certain conditions, lawfully disallow said scaring or herding.
It's very important to know that our handbook [of rules?] is not a legal document and is not filed in circuit court.
I think you are mistaken. The Virginia Condominium Act (the one effective October 1, 2019 and I believe the earlier version, now repealed) states that, "The unit owners' association shall have the power, to the extent the condominium instruments or the condominium's rules and regulations expressly provide,
to... (ii) assess charges against any unit owner for any violation of the condominium instruments or of the rules or regulations... " See
https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title55/chapter4.2/section55-79.42:1/ (repealed Oct 1, 2019)
https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title55/chapter4.2/section55-79.80:2/ (repealed Oct 1, 2019)

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title55.1/chapter19/section55.1-1904/
https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title55.1/chapter19/section55.1-1959/
We replied to her email stating that the fines are in violation of VA State Code "55-79.42:1"
Virginia Code 55-79.42:1 (repealed Oct 1, 2019; replaced by 55.1-1904) states at the outset, "Except as expressly authorized in this chapter, in the condominium instruments, or as otherwise provided by law, no unit owners' association may make an assessment or impose a charge against a unit owner unless the charge... " The phrase at the beginning of 55-79.42:1 (and 55.1-1959) tells me that it is entirely possible your Condo Association may legally fine your unit for, say, nuisances.
"Shadowood Condominium Association v. Fairfax County Redevelopment and Housing Authority" which states the board cannot impose penalties for violations outside of the Declaration and By Laws.
You are correct that a board cannot impose penalties for violations outside of the Declaration and Bylaws. But the 2012 Shadowood decision addresses a different issue: The court ruled that Shadowood's Deed [effectively, a Declaration] at Section F(6) prohibited the assessment of "other sums" except for those related to the general common elements. See http://blog.tarleyrobinson.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Shadowood.pdf . I would have to see your Condo Association's governing documents to see if fines are allowed.

If you think you actions were not a nuisance and so want the fines removed from your account, then I think you should use Virginia Code 55.1-1904: File a complaint with a Virginia government entity called the "Common Interest Community Board." See https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title55.1/chapter19/section55.1-1904/. For information on contacting this government entity, see http://www.dpor.virginia.gov/Boards/CIC-Board/

This forum has at least one long, long time Virginia HOA member here who is experienced with Virginia condo/hoa law. Hopefully he will get to this thread and comment more, correcting any mistakes I have above.
JR13
(Virginia)

03/07/2020 8:42 AM  
Your argument is invalid. Nothing we are doing is against the ccr's/state law/federal law. Someone simply not liking an activity I partake in is not grounds for them to fine me unless some form/part of it is expressly prohibited.

Imagine buying a condo, walking outside with a red shirt, and your neighbors harassing you over it, your board fining you for it, coming to an HOA forum for suggestions, and having someone tell you: You seem like the guy who enjoys the commotion and likes to stir the pot, i know there's no rule against you wearing a red shirt but I would really like to know how many of your neighbors are bothered by it, if you don't have overwhelming support from your neighbors to wear the red shirt then, IMO, you should chill out and really are the nuisance.
JR13
(Virginia)

03/07/2020 9:00 AM  
Posted By AugustinD on 03/07/2020 8:31 AM
JR13, I hear you. Some weird things are happening that fail your common sense test. The condo association has imposed fines on your account, and you are unhappy about this, to say the least. Plus you have been physically assaulted. I think the key to success is to be methodical. Ultimately you may have a valid complaint that you may file with the state of Virginia's Common Interest Community Board. More on this at the end of this post.
Posted By JR13 on 03/07/2020 4:47 AM
So the August hearing could reasonably be argued to be invalid. But the fines have still been applied to your account, correct? All the Board has to do is call for another hearing. Meanwhile, if your actions regarding the geese could be argued to be a "nuisance" prohibited by your governing documents, I think the board will continue to maintain you owe the fines.
By my reading, federal regulation 50 CFR 21.41 says one does not need a permit to scare or herd depredaging migratory birds. A condominium may still, under certain conditions, lawfully disallow said scaring or herding.
It's very important to know that our handbook [of rules?] is not a legal document and is not filed in circuit court.
I think you are mistaken. The Virginia Condominium Act (the one effective October 1, 2019 and I believe the earlier version, now repealed) states that, "The unit owners' association shall have the power, to the extent the condominium instruments or the condominium's rules and regulations expressly provide,
to... (ii) assess charges against any unit owner for any violation of the condominium instruments or of the rules or regulations... " See
https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title55/chapter4.2/section55-79.42:1/ (repealed Oct 1, 2019)
https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title55/chapter4.2/section55-79.80:2/ (repealed Oct 1, 2019)

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title55.1/chapter19/section55.1-1904/
https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title55.1/chapter19/section55.1-1959/
We replied to her email stating that the fines are in violation of VA State Code "55-79.42:1"
Virginia Code 55-79.42:1 (repealed Oct 1, 2019; replaced by 55.1-1904) states at the outset, "Except as expressly authorized in this chapter, in the condominium instruments, or as otherwise provided by law, no unit owners' association may make an assessment or impose a charge against a unit owner unless the charge... " The phrase at the beginning of 55-79.42:1 (and 55.1-1959) tells me that it is entirely possible your Condo Association may legally fine your unit for, say, nuisances.
"Shadowood Condominium Association v. Fairfax County Redevelopment and Housing Authority" which states the board cannot impose penalties for violations outside of the Declaration and By Laws.
You are correct that a board cannot impose penalties for violations outside of the Declaration and Bylaws. But the 2012 Shadowood decision addresses a different issue: The court ruled that Shadowood's Deed [effectively, a Declaration] at Section F(6) prohibited the assessment of "other sums" except for those related to the general common elements. See http://blog.tarleyrobinson.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Shadowood.pdf . I would have to see your Condo Association's governing documents to see if fines are allowed.

If you think you actions were not a nuisance and so want the fines removed from your account, then I think you should use Virginia Code 55.1-1904: File a complaint with a Virginia government entity called the "Common Interest Community Board." See https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title55.1/chapter19/section55.1-1904/. For information on contacting this government entity, see http://www.dpor.virginia.gov/Boards/CIC-Board/

This forum has at least one long, long time Virginia HOA member here who is experienced with Virginia condo/hoa law. Hopefully he will get to this thread and comment more, correcting any mistakes I have above.

There's nothing in the CCR's the prohibits shooing away migratory birds.

They can lawfully disallow the act of shooing the geese away by amending the bylaws I suppose but they haven't.

Yes, to the extent of the CCR's. They are fining me for "harassing the geese" which is perfectly legal and is not prohibited in our CCR's.

The VA code states, if it ain't in the chapter, not in the condo CCR's, and is perfectly legal the assoc can't assess/impose fines, 55.1-1959 doesn't state anything about fining for nuisances. Nuisances are described in the bylaw I referenced in my original post, not by the residents dislike of how I use the common grounds. I agreed to be bound by the CCR's, not by the residents preferences.

For a clearer understanding of the supreme court ruling see: https://www.martindale.com/litigation-law/article_Whiteford-Taylor-Preston-LLP_1679958.htm

We've already contacted DPOR, they said they won't be able to help. Sadly.

What exactly has failed my "common sense test"?

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate that you took the time to at least glance everything over.

AugustinD

03/07/2020 9:06 AM  
Posted By JR13 on 03/07/2020 8:42 AM
Nothing we are doing is against the ccr's/state law/federal law. Someone simply not liking an activity I partake in is not grounds for them to fine me unless some form/part of it is expressly prohibited.
I understand you feel your actions were neither (a) a nuisance nor (b) in any way a violation of the CC&Rs and rules.

Do you want the fines removed? If so, I think the appropriate steps to take are those given in Virginia Code 55.1-1904. In so many words, 55.1-1904 directs condo members with a grievance like yours to file a complaint with a Virginia government entity called the "Common Interest Community Board" (CICB). See https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title55.1/chapter19/section55.1-1904/. For information on contacting the CICB, see http://www.dpor.virginia.gov/Boards/CIC-Board/

You mentioned age and sex discrimination. From my extensive experience, I see nothing that can legally support such a claim. I grant that, sometimes, one cannot tell why others are giving one a hard time. It may be because or age or gender. But the courts want to see substantive proof that age or gender is the cause. I do not see this.
AugustinD

03/07/2020 9:10 AM  
Posted By JR13 on 03/07/2020 9:00 AM
We've already contacted DPOR, they said they won't be able to help.
Our posts crossed. Did you specifically contact the DPOR's CICB phone numbers and email addies?

When I said you felt acts by the condo board failed the common sense test, I meant that you feel it is nonsensical for the condo board to fine you when "shooing geese" is not explicitly prohibited in the CC&Rs and rules.
JR13
(Virginia)

03/07/2020 9:12 AM  
Posted By AugustinD on 03/07/2020 9:06 AM
Posted By JR13 on 03/07/2020 8:42 AM
Nothing we are doing is against the ccr's/state law/federal law. Someone simply not liking an activity I partake in is not grounds for them to fine me unless some form/part of it is expressly prohibited.
I understand you feel your actions were neither (a) a nuisance nor (b) in any way a violation of the CC&Rs and rules.

Do you want the fines removed? If so, I think the appropriate steps to take are those given in Virginia Code 55.1-1904. In so many words, 55.1-1904 directs condo members with a grievance like yours to file a complaint with a Virginia government entity called the "Common Interest Community Board" (CICB). See https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title55.1/chapter19/section55.1-1904/. For information on contacting the CICB, see http://www.dpor.virginia.gov/Boards/CIC-Board/

You mentioned age and sex discrimination. From my extensive experience, I see nothing that can legally support such a claim. I grant that, sometimes, one cannot tell why others are giving one a hard time. It may be because or age or gender. But the courts want to see substantive proof that age or gender is the cause. I do not see this.

I agree, after reading some articles online about discrimination lawsuits, that it would be extremely difficult for me to prove that. We've contact DPOR and they said they couldn't help as they can't look at or use the CCR's to make a decision, but now that we have a letter from their lawyer stating the action is legal, and our fines which state it's what they're fining us for maybe we can present that to them. I'll report back.
JR13
(Virginia)

03/07/2020 9:13 AM  
Posted By AugustinD on 03/07/2020 9:10 AM
Posted By JR13 on 03/07/2020 9:00 AM
We've already contacted DPOR, they said they won't be able to help.
Our posts crossed. Did you specifically contact the DPOR's CICB phone numbers and email addies?

When I said you felt acts by the condo board failed the common sense test, I meant that you feel it is nonsensical for the condo board to fine you when "shooing geese" is not explicitly prohibited in the CC&Rs and rules.

Yes, I contacted them via phone.

Sorry, I thought you were saying I failed the common sense test. No offense taken.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

03/07/2020 9:17 AM  
I, too, read through everything the OP provided.

My sense is that the neighbors are weirded out by little cars racing around after the geese. As I stated, I hate these geese ... so, don’t take this as a support the geese comment.

But, I have a feeling, given the tone of the OP, that there is more there, there, than just the geese. The neighbors may be so on edge they are looking for anything to help the OP decide it is a place the OP doesn’t want to live.
PaulJ6
(New York)

03/07/2020 9:20 AM  
JR13, if the fine is illegally imposed, then pay it and sue for damages (the amount of the fine) in small claims court.

You may have an uphill battle this way. I didn't read those state statutes as banning a HOA from imposing fines, even if the state views what you're doing as legal. HOAs can ban things that government does not ban.

Or check out your state's "accord and satisfaction" law and notify the HOA in accordance with that law of your disagreement with the fine, and if you pay your HOA dues by check, just pay your HOA dues by check, marked "Paid in Full".

JR13
(Virginia)

03/07/2020 9:32 AM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 03/07/2020 9:17 AM

My sense is that the neighbors are weirded out by little cars racing around after the geese. As I stated, I hate these geese ... so, don’t take this as a support the geese comment.

But, I have a feeling, given the tone of the OP, that there is more there, there, than just the geese. The neighbors may be so on edge they are looking for anything to help the OP decide it is a place the OP doesn’t want to live.

They aren't weirded out, they are in a full blow out rage over it. Cursing at me, assaulting me, filing false reports to management, etc. There's nothing else to it, it's just the geese. Our fines literally say "Harassing the Geese $50". You are right however as they are indeed looking for anything possible to make living here less enjoyable and have not held back at all.
PaulJ6
(New York)

03/07/2020 9:37 AM  
Posted By JR13 on 03/07/2020 9:32 AM

They aren't weirded out, they are in a full blow out rage over it. Cursing at me, assaulting me, filing false reports to management, etc. There's nothing else to it, it's just the geese. Our fines literally say "Harassing the Geese $50". You are right however as they are indeed looking for anything possible to make living here less enjoyable and have not held back at all.

Get a reality check. Clearly you're acting in a way that enrages your neighbors, and your neighbors aren't responding to the geese in the same way.

Maybe the fines are illegal; maybe you'd win if you challenge them.

But get a grip- your behavior is clearly causing a lot of issues in the community. STOP.
AugustinD

03/07/2020 9:40 AM  
So Virginia's government agency DPOR CICB has turned you away. You are waiting to hear more from the condo board on the fines. If the board insists on continuing to impose the fines, then consider sending a "letter of demand" like the following. Or you could send it immediately and let this all percolate further. Send the demand letter certified mail, return receipt requested.

======Start Draft Demand Letter==========

Dear Condominium Board of Directors,

The Association has fined me for shooing away geese, alleging this is a nuisance. Pursuant to the authorities listed at the bottom of this letter, I do not think the Board can lawfully fine me for an action not expressly prohibited by the Declaration and Rules. Also, I believe "nuisance" is too vague. How exactly are my actions, which help relieve individual units of the mess of geese excrement, a nuisance? I believe the Association's governing documents must be more exact in defining what a "nuisance" is in this instance.

The hearing the Association notified me about in August lacked proper legal notice, pursuant to Virginia Code 55-79.80:2 and Virginia Code 55.1-1959 and so was a denial of due process.

For the above reasons, please remove the fines imposed on my account. If you do not remove the fines, I will have no choice but to file suit in Circuit Court.

Please let me know your decision by March 28.

Thank you,

[name]
[address]
[phone number]
[email addie]

Authorities:
Virginia Code 55-79.42:1/
Virginia Code 55-79.80:2/
Virginia Code 55.1-1904/
Virginia Code 55.1-1959/
Shadowood Condominium Association v. Fairfax County Redevelopment and Housing Authority, 2012, an unpublished order of the Virginia Supreme Court, copy available upon request.

=======End Draft Demand Letter===================
JR13
(Virginia)

03/07/2020 9:41 AM  
Posted By PaulJ6 on 03/07/2020 9:20 AM
JR13, if the fine is illegally imposed, then pay it and sue for damages (the amount of the fine) in small claims court.

You may have an uphill battle this way. I didn't read those state statutes as banning a HOA from imposing fines, even if the state views what you're doing as legal. HOAs can ban things that government does not ban.

Or check out your state's "accord and satisfaction" law and notify the HOA in accordance with that law of your disagreement with the fine, and if you pay your HOA dues by check, just pay your HOA dues by check, marked "Paid in Full".

No checks. Dues are auto-drafted. They only draft the dues and leave the fines. At one point they even threatened us with revoking our privilege to pay our dues monthly and said they'd be due annually. We asked them to calculate the annual dues for the rest of the year and they emailed us back and said "we sent that email to you in error". The statutes don't stop an HOA from imposing fines. It stops them from imposing fines not specifically outlined in the CCR's. Thanks for the tip on "accord and satisfaction" I'll have to read up on that.
DeidreB
(Virginia)

03/07/2020 9:45 AM  

It seems you have a lot of facts on your side. And I agree with your sentiment that associations do not have total dominion over everything; there is a patchwork of laws and other factors that challenge any notion of total control.

But again, what harm would it do you to just leave the geese alone, or maybe alter your behavior with the car a little since it is common area and not exclusively yours?

JR13
(Virginia)

03/07/2020 9:48 AM  
Posted By PaulJ6 on 03/07/2020 9:37 AM
Posted By JR13 on 03/07/2020 9:32 AM

Get a reality check. Clearly you're acting in a way that enrages your neighbors, and your neighbors aren't responding to the geese in the same way.

Maybe the fines are illegal; maybe you'd win if you challenge them.

But get a grip- your behavior is clearly causing a lot of issues in the community. STOP.

I have a firm grip on reality. We didn't agree to CCR's that gave the other residents control over our use of the common grounds. Thank god. As I've stated above the majority of our neighbors appreciate the efforts I've put in to reducing the amount of goose droppings.
JR13
(Virginia)

03/07/2020 10:17 AM  
Posted By DeidreB on 03/07/2020 9:45 AM

It seems you have a lot of facts on your side. And I agree with your sentiment that associations do not have total dominion over everything; there is a patchwork of laws and other factors that challenge any notion of total control.

But again, what harm would it do you to just leave the geese alone, or maybe alter your behavior with the car a little since it is common area and not exclusively yours?

It wouldn't do any harm if I left them alone. I understand the common grounds are not mine exclusively. I do however pay over $200/mo in condo fees and am entitled to use them. I never partake in any shooing of the geese near anyone. I always distance myself from anyone when I'm doing this. Sadly, the only people that use the common grounds near the lake are the people who come out to harass me. The land slopes down to the lake so residents don't usually use this area as it's hard to walk on. When they do, even though I know they're out there to harass me, I distance myself from them. I go out of my way to make sure I don't intentionally upset anyone, including these people.

When we first moved here there were so many geese you couldn't walk anywhere. They would run out of places to poop and in groups of 50 come out and poop in the street. Every square foot of common grounds "grass" had a minimum of 10-15 turds in it. No exaggeration. My toy poodle accidentally got some in her mouth and the vet bill was $3000. She got so sick. It was the worst. The Condo Assoc. is required to maintain the grounds. We are required to pick up after our pets but with the amount of goose poop I'm not sure why. I attended a board meeting and presented them a FREE option that the USDA presented to me in regards to getting a permit to oil the eggs. I even offered to pay for the corn oil and do it myself. They, I have this recorded, screamed "NO! That's going to cost thousands! NO, Uh-uh, nope" and refused to email the guy at the USDA for more information, or even go to the website to see for themselves.

But in short. No harm, I could walk my dog across the street outside of the development but would prefer to walk her here. It's where we live after-all. And I keep the toy car away from everyone. I'm not waiting for someone to come outside so I can go drive it by their feet.

The geese: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iuyrfcjgi0
DeidreB
(Virginia)

03/07/2020 10:30 AM  
JR we have been through this same exact thing and I am very familiar with what you are going through. I can see you are well versed on this subject so I am just sharing my experience with it. With the exception of your dog which I am very sorry to hear she got sick.

Our HOA hired the guy with the dog to shoo them away.The geese know the drill. They come right back after the dog goes home. Our HOA hired the guy with the noise devices. Same thing. Addling or oiling the eggs requires a license and supervision and "may" affect future population numbers in your common areas. And the geese will still return to your community. Migratory Bird Act and local regs pretty much leave you where you are. And honestly your toy car probably helps in the moment but it likely doesn't change things in the big picture.

By the way, our geese eventually moved on seasonally after we fired the dog guy.... and then eventually they left for good except for an occasional visit. Maybe they went to your place? Again, so sorry your dog got sick (I can see why you are upset about it).
WalterH4
(Indiana)

03/07/2020 12:00 PM  
Is your dog getting sick the real motivation you have here? Like are you really trying to reduce the population of geese meaningfully at the condo? I figured you might just think it's "fun" to watch the geese fly away from the car (and regardless, we all know that this is probably fun for you).

Since the fine is just $50, I would recommend just paying it. It's not worth the fight over $50.

Next, you should actually talk with the board about forming a petition to support your "good work" (of trying to run off some geese). And get agreement from them that they'll agree to permit your good work, if you get a certain number of signatures on the petition, etc.

OR -- if they are resistant to heed to opinion of the majority -- are prepared to replace them? (run for the board yourself, with a couple others?)

If the board doesn't want to heed your petition (i.e. doesn't care about majority opinion), then you are probably screwed. AugustinD's advice is golden. He's a gem. Maybe his advice can work for you.

But the easiest way to fight this is to just replace the board with yourself and a few others. Then you can change the rules for common ground. Replacing them is much easier/cheaper than fighting them in court, IMO, unless you have money to spare (fronting an attorney's fees) and are confident that you'll win.... but if you lose, you'll owe ALL ATTORNEY FEES. So I recommend just replacing the board with new members -- it's lower risk, and probably less work, and in the end, guaranteed to get you the result you want.

Good luck with whatever you do.
WalterH4
(Indiana)

03/07/2020 12:01 PM  
... and if you can't get elected, when then that might indicate that you don't have as much community support as you might think.
AugustinD

03/07/2020 12:42 PM  
Posted By JR13 on 03/07/2020 10:17 AM
The geese: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iuyrfcjgi0
I bet more than one member of JR13's condo has quipped that those damned geese should be paying a monthly assessment. Nice video.

JR13, I'd make sure to tell the board about what happened to your dog. Maybe it will help get the fine lifted.

DeidreB: Ha, you're funny, regarding your HOA's geese fleeing to JR13's HOA.
JR13
(Virginia)

03/07/2020 1:07 PM  
Posted By DeidreB on 03/07/2020 10:30 AM
JR we have been through this same exact thing and I am very familiar with what you are going through. I can see you are well versed on this subject so I am just sharing my experience with it. With the exception of your dog which I am very sorry to hear she got sick.

Our HOA hired the guy with the dog to shoo them away.The geese know the drill. They come right back after the dog goes home. Our HOA hired the guy with the noise devices. Same thing. Addling or oiling the eggs requires a license and supervision and "may" affect future population numbers in your common areas. And the geese will still return to your community. Migratory Bird Act and local regs pretty much leave you where you are. And honestly your toy car probably helps in the moment but it likely doesn't change things in the big picture.

By the way, our geese eventually moved on seasonally after we fired the dog guy.... and then eventually they left for good except for an occasional visit. Maybe they went to your place? Again, so sorry your dog got sick (I can see why you are upset about it).

Yeah, because I live here and work from home I am able to stay on top of it. It's been poop free for almost a year now. I also keep them out of the surrounding areas as well. That helps to keep them out of here for longer periods of time.
WalterH4
(Indiana)

03/07/2020 2:21 PM  
I'd like to see a video now from your RC car as you run off those geese. It just sounds like a fun activity; I know I'd enjoy it.

So what are your next steps?
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

03/07/2020 4:44 PM  
Just because it's not against the law doesn't mean it's not a *ick move. Being a *ick to geese just doesn't come across well.

Will say that our area had to deal with our fair share of Geese issues. One company used to play the sounds of other Geese families on loud speakers. Geese are territorial and do not like sounds of other geese not in their family.

So do understand the issue. It's just running a remote car at geese is just kind of a dumb way of doing things. People rather deal with idiot birds than people...

Former HOA President
TimB4
(Virginia)

03/08/2020 5:41 AM  
JR,

Obviously, you are passionate about this issue.

From what you wrote, I see the issue heading to court to be resolved.

The question becomes, how much are you willing to spend?
JR13
(Virginia)

03/08/2020 7:09 AM  
Augustin, we've mentioned to the board that it seems like the geese have more rights to the common grounds than we do.
Walter, I'm buying a GoPro and their body cam mount called the "chesty" to record this.
Melissa, it's not a dick-move, it's an effort to keep the grounds clean. Nothing in our CCR's against making dick-moves.
Tim, I am - I don't see anything, that I've read, that gives them the authority to impose these fines.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

03/08/2020 7:29 AM  
It is what most people call a *ick move. Chasing geese off with a toy car? Really? You want to fight this? About the dumbest thing to go over court and sue your neighbors about. Especially since it is NOT a one person thing to do. It's a GROUP thing to do.

Reality is that you live with a group of Geese lovers. If you did not, guess what? They'd all have a meeting on the front yard with their remote control cars chasing geese off. Otherwise, the RIGHT approach is to go to the board and present ideas of running off the geese off COMMON AREA. Live with that decision made if your neighbors want to or not.

BTW: Suing your HOA is suing yourself and your neighbors. So accept this FACT before proceeding.

Former HOA President
JR13
(Virginia)

03/08/2020 8:10 AM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 03/08/2020 7:29 AM
It is what most people call a *ick move. Chasing geese off with a toy car? Really? You want to fight this? About the dumbest thing to go over court and sue your neighbors about. Especially since it is NOT a one person thing to do. It's a GROUP thing to do.

Reality is that you live with a group of Geese lovers. If you did not, guess what? They'd all have a meeting on the front yard with their remote control cars chasing geese off. Otherwise, the RIGHT approach is to go to the board and present ideas of running off the geese off COMMON AREA. Live with that decision made if your neighbors want to or not.

BTW: Suing your HOA is suing yourself and your neighbors. So accept this FACT before proceeding.

I can imagine the joy in every unit owners heart the day you became a "former" HOA President. Keeping the grounds clean isn't dumb. I do want to fight this, really. I've lived in this area my entire life. I love my neighborhood and I care about it deeply. Something you should understand being a former HOA President but I'm guessing, from your lack of understanding, you did it for your own personal reasons. Some people are more concerned with being in power/control than using their position for the greater good.

I'm furious that the board is exhausting time and resources on this issue and would love to see it stop. I'm also upset that they aren't personally maintaining the common grounds. I will not however let them abuse their powers to control me or other residents. eg; the president can hang items on his door but if anyone else does it they get a violation letter.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

03/08/2020 8:20 AM  
Yep true colors come out yet again...I stand by my statement.

Former HOA President
CathyA3
(Ohio)

03/08/2020 8:41 AM  
Perhaps the neighbors feel that they'd rather live with goose poop than with jackwagons who think it's amusing to harass animals. Because jackwagons seldom limit themselves to one offensive behavior. #karma
JR13
(Virginia)

03/08/2020 8:45 AM  
Posted By CathyA3 on 03/08/2020 8:41 AM
Perhaps the neighbors feel that they'd rather live with goose poop than with jackwagons who think it's amusing to harass animals. Because jackwagons seldom limit themselves to one offensive behavior. #karma

Cathy, thank you for constructively contributing to the discussion. I'll make you a deal. You walk behind 50 geese picking up their poop all day and I'll stop shooing them away.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

03/08/2020 8:53 AM  
I hate these geese - lived in Virginia for 20 plus years. They are horrid creatures.

If it was my decision, I would declare open season and kill them all ... unless someone could provide a clear rationale for why they are necessary in the ecosystem.

But, in Virginia there are many folks, like my former neighbors who FED them and FED the deer which were increasing in incredible numbers.

JR, the legal system will absorb your money like a sponge absorbs water.

Based on what you told us, I’d give it up and move further out to a place with enough property to allow you to self police the geese.
JR13
(Virginia)

03/08/2020 8:57 AM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 03/08/2020 8:53 AM
I hate these geese - lived in Virginia for 20 plus years. They are horrid creatures.

If it was my decision, I would declare open season and kill them all ... unless someone could provide a clear rationale for why they are necessary in the ecosystem.

But, in Virginia there are many folks, like my former neighbors who FED them and FED the deer which were increasing in incredible numbers.

JR, the legal system will absorb your money like a sponge absorbs water.

Based on what you told us, I’d give it up and move further out to a place with enough property to allow you to self police the geese.

We'd love to but our bathroom, storage shed, and kitchen are leaking, there's water intrusion, etc. We have also been going back and fourth with them in regards to making these repairs to the exterior. 2 years later they're finally getting around to it. The second they do this place is going up for sale. In addition to not maintaining the common grounds they aren't maintaining the exteriors either: https://i.imgur.com/Mls0LxY.jpg You can walk up to and stick your hand through the side of most units.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

03/08/2020 10:33 AM  
This guy makes $30k year chasing geese with his drone. Why not advertise your services to local business or other HOA's?

Maybe when your HOA sees how successful you are, they will hire you too.

Use your creative methods to make money, not anger people.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

03/08/2020 10:34 AM  
Forgot Link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNQi1bJ2VEg
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

03/08/2020 11:04 AM  
EXACTLY STEVE! This is a HOA issue NOT an individual one. You have on Jackhole chasing geese with a toy car makes your WHOLE neighborhood look bad. Have a WHOLE HOA taking (NOT JUST BOARD. They just APPROVE ACTIONS) action it looks better.

The approach is to go the ENTIRE HOA about the geese issue and make an overall plan. How hard is this to do? Go to a meeting? Write a letter? Do what Steve suggests and bring some SOLUTIONS to the HOA to try.

BTW: It's not like I don't acknowledge goose crap is an issue. Know it is very very well. Where I work we are not allowed to touch, harass, or mess with geese. They are protected. Poop is an issue. We just have them in certain areas that they don't come near people much at all. There may be some repellents you can put out to keep them out of your yard. I've done this for dogs and cats in our HOA.

Former HOA President
JR13
(Virginia)

03/08/2020 11:19 AM  
Steve, I have actually just recently formed a company to do just that. Just waiting for the underwriters to get my business insurance.

Melissa, I don't care where you work at. That has nothing do with me. The geese being protected does not mean you cannot shoo them away. Please read the very first sentence of my post. It should clarify this for you. I also posted again stating that we brought this to the boards attention along with a free solution to remedy it and they refused to even look into it. They are unwilling to do anything unless it directly benefits them.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

03/08/2020 11:33 AM  
And this is a problem or just YOUR problem? Seems to indicate to me that the board isn't interested in making YOUR issue theirs and everyone else's. Simply put. Your the problem not necessarily them. Most people don't seem to care so there you go.

Former HOA President
JR13
(Virginia)

03/08/2020 12:01 PM  
Melissa, I'm not going to entertain your endless blabber. This will be my last response to you.
AugustinD

03/08/2020 12:20 PM  
Posted By CathyA3 on 03/08/2020 8:41 AM
The Humane Society's guide on geese eviction emphatically advises harassment of geese at certain times of the year as part of a strategy of evicting them. As interested, see https://www.humanesociety.org/sites/default/files/docs/HSUS%20Canada%20goose%20Mgt%20Plan%202019.pdf

The Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Division of Wildlife, feels the same, except it advises "constant harassment." See https://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/portals/wildlife/pdfs/publications/wildlife%20management/pub408.pdf

One may google and find a number of companies/individuals nationwide having undertaken businesses to lawfully deal with geese eviction.

Geese excrement appears to be a known challenge in many communities. To claim JR13 is 'amused by harassing animals' seems unfair.

I believe the badgering by MelissaP as usual reflects on her more than JR13. Not that my post will stop it.

I am not persuaded at this time that the remote car is a nuisance. I think JR13 knows his options. I appreciate his ignoring her at this time.
PaulJ6
(New York)

03/08/2020 1:26 PM  
I will usually side with anyone---literally anyone---against a HOA, as I despise HOAs, but in this situation, if the other neighbors are getting ticked, then clearly the behavior ought to be reconsidered.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

03/08/2020 1:44 PM  
Did anyone consider where the geese are going when they chase them off? Mmmm... to the OTHER neighbor's yards! Let me think how pissed off I would be to have a neighbor INTENTIONLY running off geese with a toy car INTO my yard. As if I may NOT have been taking steps to get rid of them? Ever think of that??? That is why it has to be a COMMUNITY EFFORT.

Former HOA President
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

03/08/2020 2:30 PM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 03/08/2020 1:44 PM
Did anyone consider where the geese are going when they chase them off? Mmmm... to the OTHER neighbor's yards! Let me think how pissed off I would be to have a neighbor INTENTIONLY running off geese with a toy car INTO my yard. As if I may NOT have been taking steps to get rid of them? Ever think of that??? That is why it has to be a COMMUNITY EFFORT.

Then it would be up to the neighbor to get a bigger toy car.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

03/08/2020 3:53 PM  
There is always a bigger *ick head... or I mean fish... LOL!

Really anyone else not picturing someone outside their house running off geese with a remote car not thinking "Wow now there is a genius!" Watching wildlife honking, flapping off feathers, and dropping crap all the way... Wonder why the neighbors aren't happy with this??? Mmmm...

Oh and it's the Board NOT doing anything because it's not on their agenda... Wonder why? Because they have to deal with someone's behavior more than the problem???

Former HOA President
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > VA Condo Assoc fining us for rule that doesn't exist, against state law, and supreme court ruling.

Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement