Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, February 17, 2020
Get 1 free year community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Owners in Arrears Voting
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
NpB
(Arizona)

02/13/2020 10:44 AM  
Our CC&Rs permit the Board to suspend the voting privileges of any owner behind in arrears in any amount to the association. On the annual election mailer, it is stated that those who are arrears in any amount to the association will not receive a ballot.

Since some owners may think this is harsh (I personally do not), how would you enforce this at an annual meeting to ensure this was done for both absentee and in person ballots? Would you ask the management company representative to explain the fairness of this provision in order to avoid the Board appearing harsh to someone owners who might not agree with this provision.
MarkW18
(Florida)

02/13/2020 11:06 AM  
Posted By NpB on 02/13/2020 10:44 AM
Would you ask the management company representative to explain the fairness of this provision in order to avoid the Board appearing harsh to someone owners who might not agree with this provision.

Are you serious? I hope you're not a Board member.

SheliaH
(Indiana)

02/13/2020 11:08 AM  
I don't think it's harsh either - the board oversees how the money is spent and all homeowners are legally obligated to pay it so the association can provide services as indicated in the documents. If they're so concerned about losing their right to vote or run for a seat on the board, they need to keep their assessments up to date.

You've already explained this in your letter, but if someone objects to this at the meeting, it's the responsibility of the BOARD, not the property manager, to make it plainer. The property manager works at the direction of the board, which should be doing things according to their documents. This is in your documents which everyone agreed to comply with when they purchased their unit. They'll look ridiculous arguing this point, but they don't care about that, let them stew and then remind them (again) how the rules work. If they still fuss, you may have to ask them to leave or sit down and let the meeting proceed.

In our community, we use a sign-in sheet that only lists eligible homeowners, so if you're not listed, you're welcome to stay and listen, but won't receive a ballot. It's best to hand those out as people come in, have everyone turn them in at the appropriate time and then count in front of everyone (use people who aren't running for a spot).

For the absentee owners, we use proxies where they can assign it to someone who will show up and cast a vote on their behalf (they must bring the card, which must be signed and dated by the homeowner). The name is also checked against the eligible list. They can also authorize the Board president to cast the vote in their behalf. If they decide to show up anyway, the proxy will be cancelled and they can vote - provided they're listed on the sign-in sheet (which they must sign).

Before we call the meeting to order, we total the number of people who show up and the number of proxies received - if we have at least 10% of the homeowners represented, on with the annual meeting.
BobB31
(Florida)

02/13/2020 11:08 AM  
Our election inspectors appointed at the beginning of the meeting validate ballots and proxies against a list of qualified voters which is compiled the day of the meeting, with owners in arrears eliminated from the list.
All owners in arrears are notified in advance that failure to pay up will result in their votes being invalidated.
I disagree with not providing a ballot: the owner could pay up during the period between the mailout and the meeting, thus allowing them to vote.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

02/13/2020 11:10 AM  
That's why we don't run the sign-in sheet until the afternoon of the meeting, giving people time to bring their accounts up to date. Homeowners can also pay their assessments online, so we can update it quickly.
MarkM19
(Texas)

02/13/2020 11:26 AM  
NpB,
You need to read your CC&Rs. Many will have a item that mentions All Members not in Good Standing or just Members in Good Standing.

Good standing is Current on Dues.
NpB
(Arizona)

02/13/2020 1:37 PM  
Posted By MarkW18 on 02/13/2020 11:06 AM
Would you ask the management company representative to explain the fairness of this provision in order to avoid the Board appearing harsh to someone owners who might not agree with this provision.

I posit that most people do not read the CC&Rs before purchase and when one cites them, they get offended.
GenoS
(Florida)

02/13/2020 1:54 PM  
Posted By BobB31 on 02/13/2020 11:08 AM
Our election inspectors appointed at the beginning of the meeting validate ballots and proxies against a list of qualified voters which is compiled the day of the meeting, with owners in arrears eliminated from the list.
All owners in arrears are notified in advance that failure to pay up will result in their votes being invalidated.
I disagree with not providing a ballot: the owner could pay up during the period between the mailout and the meeting, thus allowing them to vote.

Voting rights in Florida have to be suspended in advance of the day of the election. I don't think you can run a list of delinquents on the day of the vote and just cross their names off the "eligible to vote" list.
MarkW18
(Florida)

02/13/2020 2:10 PM  
Posted By NpB on 02/13/2020 1:37 PM

I posit that most people do not read the CC&Rs before purchase and when one cites them, they get offended.

That wasn't my question. It was why you can't tell the homeowner they can't vote because they owe you money. You have to hide behind a management company because you can't stand having your neighbor mad at you?
NpB
(Arizona)

02/13/2020 2:19 PM  
Posted By MarkW18 on 02/13/2020 2:10 PM
Posted By NpB on 02/13/2020 1:37 PM

That wasn't my question. It was why you can't tell the homeowner they can't vote because they owe you money. You have to hide behind a management company because you can't stand having your neighbor mad at you?

I go back to my original statement about how so many people are emotional and get easily offended.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

02/13/2020 2:32 PM  
If you cannot stand and speak honestly to the issue - you should not be on the Board.

This one is easy - "We have a rule, here is the reference, I will read the rule, we are following the rule, are there further questions?"
MarkW18
(Florida)

02/13/2020 2:42 PM  
This was your original "question" Since some owners may think this is harsh (I personally do not), how would you enforce this at an annual meeting to ensure this was done for both absentee and in person ballots?

If you're a male, IMHO, grow a pair.
MarkW18
(Florida)

02/13/2020 2:45 PM  
On second thought, since they didn't get a ballot, what's the issue?

If you get challenged, please stand behind the PM while they bail you out.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

02/13/2020 2:46 PM  
NpB

One of the things we pay our MC for is to be the "heavy". Write the nasty letters, verify if one is up to date, etc.

Our MC has had to call people aside and tell them they are not eligible to vote.
AugustinD

02/13/2020 2:50 PM  
Posted By NpB on 02/13/2020 2:19 PM
I go back to my original statement about how so many people are emotional and get easily offended.
What about the feelings of those owners who are offended at the costs and trouble to the association that the delinquent owners cause? A board has to be automaton like on this point, giving proper notice of the delinquency and suspension of voting rights, all in private and not in public. I think there is no avoiding bad feelings from some.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

02/13/2020 2:57 PM  
Posted By AugustinD on 02/13/2020 2:50 PM
Posted By NpB on 02/13/2020 2:19 PM
What about the feelings of those owners who are offended at the costs and trouble to the association that the delinquent owners cause? A board has to be automaton like on this point, giving proper notice of the delinquency and suspension of voting rights, all in private and not in public. I think there is no avoiding bad feelings from some.

Well said.
BobB31
(Florida)

02/13/2020 3:25 PM  
Posted By GenoS on 02/13/2020 1:54 PM
Posted By BobB31 on 02/13/2020 11:08 AM

Voting rights in Florida have to be suspended in advance of the day of the election. I don't think you can run a list of delinquents on the day of the vote and just cross their names off the "eligible to vote" list.

OK, that's news to me. How far in advance?
GenoS
(Florida)

02/13/2020 5:54 PM  
Posted By BobB31 on 02/13/2020 3:25 PM

For an HOA, FS 720.305(4) starts with,

"An association may suspend the voting rights of a parcel or member for the nonpayment of any fee, fine, or other monetary obligation due to the association that is more than 90 days delinquent."

FS 720.305(5) goes on to say,

"All suspensions imposed pursuant to subsection (3) or subsection (4) must be approved at a properly noticed board meeting. Upon approval, the association must notify the parcel owner and, if applicable, the parcel’s occupant, licensee, or invitee by mail or hand delivery."

There's no set time limit but voting rights have to be suspended at a properly noticed board meeting and the owner notified of the suspension.

I suppose the board could suspend voting rights at a separate, properly noticed board meeting immediately preceding the election meeting on the same day if those owners whose rights were suspended were there in attendance and available to be served notice of suspension by hand.

In a FS 718 condo association, the requirements are similar.
BobB31
(Florida)

02/14/2020 12:39 PM  
Posted By GenoS on 02/13/2020 5:54 PM
Posted By BobB31 on 02/13/2020 3:25 PM

For an HOA, FS 720.305(4) starts with,

"An association may suspend the voting rights of a parcel or member for the nonpayment of any fee, fine, or other monetary obligation due to the association that is more than 90 days delinquent."

FS 720.305(5) goes on to say,

"All suspensions imposed pursuant to subsection (3) or subsection (4) must be approved at a properly noticed board meeting. Upon approval, the association must notify the parcel owner and, if applicable, the parcel’s occupant, licensee, or invitee by mail or hand delivery."

There's no set time limit but voting rights have to be suspended at a properly noticed board meeting and the owner notified of the suspension.

I suppose the board could suspend voting rights at a separate, properly noticed board meeting immediately preceding the election meeting on the same day if those owners whose rights were suspended were there in attendance and available to be served notice of suspension by hand.

In a FS 718 condo association, the requirements are similar.

Thanks. We were fortunate to not have any suspensions this year. Our board collection policy needs revision.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Owners in Arrears Voting

Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement