Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, September 29, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Sale of a unit
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
StephenO4
(New York)

02/12/2020 9:34 AM  
I reside in New York State. Is there any condition/law with the sale of a unit that the new buyer must reside in the unit for a certain period of time before renting the unit.
PaulJ6

02/12/2020 10:02 AM  
1. Local law might ban short-term rentals, so local law might have a minimum residency requirement. But unlikely, outside of NYC.

2. It would be the condo's governing documents or board-imposed rules that have a minimum residency requirement. These are internal documents for the condo association, not state or local laws.
PaulM30
(B)

02/12/2020 10:22 AM  
Posted By StephenO4 on 02/12/2020 9:34 AM
I reside in New York State. Is there any condition/law with the sale of a unit that the new buyer must reside in the unit for a certain period of time before renting the unit.

It can be written as a bylaw fairly easily. We're considering doing it to try and deter sales to landlords. It's easier than restricting/managing the number of units that can be rented.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

02/12/2020 12:48 PM  
Posted By PaulM30 on 02/12/2020 10:22 AM
Posted By StephenO4 on 02/12/2020 9:34 AM

It can be written as a bylaw fairly easily. We're considering doing it to try and deter sales to landlords. It's easier than restricting/managing the number of units that can be rented.

I would expect that such a restriction would need to be in the CCRs, I don't think it would be enforceable in the bylaws. The CCRs typically have a higher threshold to amend than the bylaws do.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

02/12/2020 1:44 PM  
Our Covenants say one cannot rent/lease their unit during their first year of ownership. This was out in there to stop speculators.

We have several cases of where parents bought the place and only an adult child moved in and one where the parent of the buyer was the only one that moved in. We have never questioned these as who knows the mechanics of family members.
KerryL1
(California)

02/12/2020 2:19 PM  
Along with Douglas, I don't see this as something that would even be in the bylaws. If what PaulM's HOA wants to do does not conflict with their CC&Rs, they could try to put it in their Rules & Regs.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

02/12/2020 3:49 PM  
There may be some laws on this with the state. Each state varies. Also the mortgage company may not allow property to be rental for a period of time as conditions of the loan. It's not just a HOA thing.

I believe a few years ago Florida was getting overrun by condo flippers. They were buying and renovating multiple units. The renovations were quite sub-par. Which there were little regulations on how many properties one could own at a time. Owning multiple property is a red flag of a questionable flipper.

There was someone caught doing it and sentenced to prison for it. Don't know all the details of the case. However, laws have been passed recently in regards to regulating multiple home ownership and bad flippers. Some laws may restrict multiple ownership and/or time limits before renting. Each state varies of course. Laws are always changing as more new buyers get screwed by scrupulous home flippers.

Former HOA President
LetA
(Nevada)

02/13/2020 5:31 AM  
I often see on Mortgage documents between the bank and buyer a rental restriction, but yes boards can put in the rules and regs or CC&R restrictions on rentals within the first 1-3 years of ownership.
MarshallT
(New York)

03/04/2020 1:56 PM  
Great point!
MarkW18

03/04/2020 2:17 PM  
Unless it is a rare instance where the Board can put something into the CCRs without membership approval, it would be up to the membership to approve any amendment that could restrict rentals.

Another thing an HOA could do is inform the mortgage company that the home went from owner-occupied to an investment property. There is typically a .75 point hit to one's interest rate once they rent it out.

GenoS
(Florida)

03/04/2020 2:40 PM  
Posted By PaulM30 on 02/12/2020 10:22 AM
It can be written as a bylaw fairly easily.

I wouldn't put that in the Bylaws. The CC&Rs would be the appropriate place for that. I agree such a restriction can be very effective in deterring investors who are only looking for cash flow and profits.
KerryL1
(California)

03/04/2020 2:44 PM  
Geno's right. Such a restriction does not belong in the Bylaws.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement