Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, February 17, 2020
Get 1 free year community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: not enough parking
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
DavidJ17
(Florida)

02/09/2020 4:45 PM  
The City approves the construction of a Condominium to be built.
There are 80 Condo Units and ONE public street.
There is room for 2 cars. One in driveway and one in garage.
Developer says up to 4 people can live in ONE Unit with a 2 bedroom and up tp 6 people in a 3 bedroom.
30 years later, the ONE public street is full to capacity with cars from residents. (things changed from 30 years ago)
The Condo bylaws say up to 4 ppl or up to 6 ppl in ONE Unit. But only 2 parking spaces.
If just a fourth of our Complex had 3 or 4 ppl living in ONE Unit, and they all had a car, our ONE public street gets full.
Our ONE public street connects to 2 other public streets but the City has banned parking on those 2 streets.
Should there be a balance here between the City and the Developer as to why the Developer gave 2 parking spaces per unit, but up to 4 ppl can live in a Unit? Should the City bare any responsibility for approving this Condo to be built with this kind of situation. Obviously, nobody was thinking this 35 years ago when the Condo was built. Or, is this more common than I think?

Dave
PaulJ6
(New York)

02/09/2020 5:29 PM  
Are you looking for the city to pay owners due to the city having allowed overbuilding? Not going to happen.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

02/09/2020 7:20 PM  
A little more background on the OP's ongoing parking saga for those who might not remember:
https://www.hoatalk.com/Forum/tabid/55/forumid/1/postid/259357/view/topic/Default.aspx
https://www.hoatalk.com/Forum/tabid/55/forumid/1/postid/259096/view/topic/Default.aspx
https://www.hoatalk.com/Forum/tabid/55/forumid/1/postid/259078/view/topic/Default.aspx

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

02/09/2020 8:06 PM  
Dead end.
BenA2
(Texas)

02/09/2020 8:23 PM  
I don't think you can blame the developer or the city. Most homes consist of one or two parents and their kids. It wouldn't be unreasonable that, on average, there would be two cars per condo, especially 30 years ago. Obviously, the neighborhood makes a difference. If it's very affluent, a family of four might have four cars and if condos are rented to college kids, each resident might have a car.

I think this is an issue every city has.
JamesV3
(New Hampshire)

02/10/2020 5:35 AM  
Same boat here in Manchester NH.
2 parking (permit only) Spaces per unit.
All others must park on street(one side only) which is usually filled to capacity.
During snow emergencies cars must be moved from street to designated parking lots by the city well away from the condo community.
Towing is Heavily enforced by the city for the streets and the lots by the tow company we hire for un permitted cars in the lots.
TimM11

02/10/2020 6:44 AM  
Where I live, it's pretty common for new multifamily housing in denser areas to have two spaces allocated per unit at most, regardless of size. If it's closer to the heart of the city, it may only have one, and some newer buildings don't have any (though those tend to be near train lines and major bus routes).

Not every building is going to be able to accommodate everyone's needs. If people need more than two spaces per unit and aren't willing to deal with street parking, then they should live elsewhere.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

02/10/2020 10:50 AM  
Developers NEVER provide enough room for parking - it's not always that they don't think of doing it, it's that building houses is what they do - why leave extra room for a car or truck, when you can use all of that space to squeeze a few more houses on the land?

You also forget how times have changed. 30 years ago, cars were a little smaller, most folks only had 1 or 2 cars, and not all of them were minivans, trucks or SUVs. Today, you have households like one of my co-workers: she and her husband each have a car. She has a company car, as does her son who also works for us, plus his own car and his sister's car. They have a 2 car garage with a driveway, so there's a fair amount of musical chairs with cars. It's not so bad when the daughter's at college, but spring break is coming, so...In case you weren't keeping track, that's six cars for one household. Multiply that by four or five houses in a cul-de-sac, all with teenagers or young adults and maybe Grandma, and you see the problem explode.

So yes, it's more common than you think. No, the developer isn't going to come back and fix this - how do you suggest that happen when you have X amount of land to work with and most of it's been developeed? Ultimately, people will have to do a little more thinking about the cars they have and where to store them - that may mean moving to a condo may not be a good idea.
DavidJ17
(Florida)

02/10/2020 8:01 PM  
Nope...I'm just looking for the city to lift the ban on parking on the other 2 streets they banned in the first place.

Also, do Cities already have in place a standard rule (or whatever) on the amount of street space needed for parking to match the number of Condo Units?
DavidJ17
(Florida)

02/10/2020 8:15 PM  
Every Condo website I've looked at, parking seems to be the biggest problem. Wouldn't you think after so many years of parking problems at Condos, the developers would improve the parking situation. Don't answer that, cause I know what the answer will be.

I didn't forget how times have changed 30 years ago about car size. Believe me, I wanted to use that reason so many times that cars were smaller 30 years ago, but I couldn't. Because my parents owned a van and a big station wagon, which are probably longer than most of the vehicles today.

what I'm peeved about the most is City banning cars from the other 2 streets that once was allowed for parking.
GenoS
(Florida)

02/10/2020 9:36 PM  
Posted By DavidJ17 on 02/10/2020 8:01 PM
Nope...I'm just looking for the city to lift the ban on parking on the other 2 streets they banned in the first place.

Also, do Cities already have in place a standard rule (or whatever) on the amount of street space needed for parking to match the number of Condo Units?

I think not. You'll have to ask your city officials if yours has anything like that.

Can't you gather signatures on a petition and petition the city to allow parking on both sides of those public streets?
DeidreB
(Virginia)

02/10/2020 10:58 PM  
David, in our metro area outside DC, town home and single family home garages are getting smaller and street parking is getting tighter. The reason is houses are getting bigger due to market demand and desired profit and return on investment.

County governments are basing their strategic planning on assumptions related to future improved public transport networks, more biking, and more remote work from home. Hence smaller parking requirements per development.

Our county zoning regulations found on line identify the required minimum parking space per unit. Builders do not add more as it does not add profit.
DavidJ17
(Florida)

02/11/2020 7:09 PM  
no, the street is not wide enough for parking on both sides of the street
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement