Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, February 27, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Get 1 free year community website and email newsletter hosting from Community123.com!
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: can a non-owner be on the board by proxie ???
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
RonS15
(California)

02/08/2020 5:16 PM  
the is a guy who has been on our board for 10yrs straight....
he is on because a guy who works for housing authority that owns 80 units out of 236...
give this non owner proxies to sit on the board....

now i have brought this to there attention years ago and just ate a recent IDR with copies of davis sterling and our own election rules all say u cant do that....but its still happening...is there anything i can about this????
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

02/08/2020 5:53 PM  
Ho Dude IDr taste?
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

02/09/2020 4:59 AM  
It sounds like the Housing Authority owns 80 homes. They are an agency made of many people. Which means they need one person to represent them in the HOA. Not unlike how a LLC works. So the Agency has decided to have this person represent them. That person then got elected onto the board.

Not seeing anything wrong with this as the agency itself is a member. It can decide amongst itself whom they want to take on the responsibility of representing them. They used their 80 property holding proxies to choose this person. Simple as that. Happens all the time when a LLC, the developer, or an agency owns property. There are multiple people and 1 is chosen. Considering the 80 membership shares it's no wonder they are on the board having the most interest in the HOA.

Former HOA President
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

02/09/2020 11:03 AM  
Typically when one entity owns a unit or units, they must name one person as ther contact point. If they own multi units, they get multi votes. As to that person being allowed to be on the BOD will be in your Bylaws.

With the city owning 80 units, sounds like they are in control.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

02/10/2020 8:50 AM  
It's also worth noting that in many associations non-members are allowed on the board in any case. Ron has not specified that his bylaws or other governing docs require directors to be owners.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
RonS15
(California)

02/10/2020 11:02 PM  
Posted By DouglasK1 on 02/10/2020 8:50 AM
It's also worth noting that in many associations non-members are allowed on the board in any case. Ron has not specified that his bylaws or other governing docs require directors to be owners.

my bad...yes my election rules say u have to be a owner.....the Davis sterling also specify u have to be a owner or HOA have there own which we do....
RonS15
(California)

02/10/2020 11:04 PM  
Posted By JohnC46 on 02/09/2020 11:03 AM
Typically when one entity owns a unit or units, they must name one person as ther contact point. If they own multi units, they get multi votes. As to that person being allowed to be on the BOD will be in your Bylaws.

With the city owning 80 units, sounds like they are in control.

thanks ....i do understand that aspect of it
RonS15
(California)

02/10/2020 11:11 PM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 02/09/2020 4:59 AM
It sounds like the Housing Authority owns 80 homes. They are an agency made of many people. Which means they need one person to represent them in the HOA. Not unlike how a LLC works. So the Agency has decided to have this person represent them. That person then got elected onto the board.

Not seeing anything wrong with this as the agency itself is a member. It can decide amongst itself whom they want to take on the responsibility of representing them. They used their 80 property holding proxies to choose this person. Simple as that. Happens all the time when a LLC, the developer, or an agency owns property. There are multiple people and 1 is chosen. Considering the 80 membership shares it's no wonder they are on the board having the most interest in the HOA.

yes i understand all that....what i'm say is there is a guy on the board that is not a owner who use to be the person proxie for the city years ago....they still kept him on and posting fake rules...lol...yes its insane...and i brought it up to the fake real board....lol....so im trying to confirm what i know is right....
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

02/11/2020 5:21 AM  
Fake post.

Move on.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > can a non-owner be on the board by proxie ???

Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement