Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, September 29, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: how far back can a HOA fine you??
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
RonS15
(California)

02/06/2020 9:32 PM  
so back in 2014 i was fine 9600$ in late fees an lawyer fines all because i missed 2 months in dues...well long story short i had a meet and confer and it went bad...i was being accued of breaking a camera pointed on my home....now i will admit because its also on youtube....i did move the camera to the left...the camera sits on a swivel...im not in denial and was expecting a violation because of it....but she tried to say i broke it...mind u i watched the guy install it and come to uninstall it...so during the violation hearing i asked for proof of the broken item....she was trying to fine me 1800$ lol which was insane and not justified...so i never herd anything since....so later we had the meet an confer about the 9600$ so during this time they told me to pay the 9600$ but not the 1800$ i asked were was the boards determination on the situation and i was never given one...because i still was in disagreement on the breaking of the camera....i also watched them put the same one back up...still no proof of said damage....and that was it....no nothing...so i start paying off the 9600$...did it in 11 months hurt the hell out of my family financially...mind u i have 11 kids....so come November i finished off paying and the lawyer told me i owed nothing and my dues were paid up....he also said the board hasn't made a determination on the camera situation and to wait...so i did...and nothing...

2016 i tried to run for board and it was cancelled it never happened....
i waited till 2017 because there had been no meetings...

2017 the same thing a quorum wasn't meet and no elections she put on (meaning the HOA manager) we never had a board member run the annuals....so after contacting the the HOA lawyer again to send me anything that says i owe my HOA SO I KNOW what to pay off or handle with the board well after multiple attempts he sent me nothing and told me i owed nothing so that gave me the GO for running in 2018....and thats wut i did ....mind u still no board meetings there having them on the phone with out notification so i couldn't talk with no one...but i did try email an phone calls...so

2018 mind u im preparing to run for the board all year ...this would be my 9th time trying....
i had made campaigning pictures and posted the around my HOA
i walked around to get home owner votes...

ok let me stop rambling...

i won my elections with 4 votes ....i know i got more but....
i also watched the managers workers open the ballots...yes i reported it and it was ignored...

so to fast forward...after several months of trying to get acknowledgement of my board membership i submitted another meet an confer ...very detailed about all the stuff im talking about and more....they ended up sending me a letter from the lawyers office saying i owed money from 2012,2014,15,16...lol i did think it was funny that the manager did this...yes me and her have problems...yes she is the reason this is happening she is also our financier....plus more...

so its 2020 and still nothing.....i need help....please
if u need to kno more please feel free to ask....thank u

MelissaP1
(Alabama)

02/07/2020 4:16 AM  
I can not follow most of this. What is the question? What is the back money for? Unpaid dues or fines? I am not clear what money you may or may not have owed.

Also can see why your having many of the issues your having. Wow.... Just wow...

Former HOA President
RonS15
(California)

02/07/2020 11:54 AM  
im askin do i have to pay for somthing i did not break? i need proof of said broken item....

and you can see what??? why im haveing problems with who??? and wow what???

speak up please.....thank u
MarkM19
(Texas)

02/07/2020 2:12 PM  
Ron,
So the rest of the Story is a strange as the parts you originally left out. If you damaged a Camera you should have been required to pay the cost of repair. If it were to happen to me I would have said I want the camera I damaged. After all you paid for the new one right? The problem is you let years go by and interest is a nasty thing. Now you are recovering from your own lack of desire to work with the PMC in the beginning.

If you say you paid your dues then prove you paid them. You should be able to get bank records to compare to their account ledger for your property. Those ledgers should be crystal clear when payments were received and dues as well as late fees were added.

You seem to make things hard on yourself and others as we struggle to read your notes. This is an example of rambling and makes you hard to follow.

Last thought if you have 11 children living in almost any HOA (Most don't have 6 or 8 Bedroom houses) how do you think you have time to volunteer when your personal finances seem to be a disaster?

WalterH4
(Indiana)

02/07/2020 3:45 PM  
Are other people in your HOA in a similar situation, or do you mostly stand alone? If you are alone, and broke, you are probably screwed. Welcome to America and the legal system. If they have a lawyer, and you don't, they'll probably prevail in court, and then can garnish wages, until they have taken all the money they are claiming. The best you can do is to gather documentation in support of your case, and present it to others first to serve as a sounding board, until you believe you've got a plain reading case that might compel a judge to cut the awards down. From what I can tell by your posts, I'm not confident that you have the ability to do this correctly, which means you're going to be at their mercy most likely.

You could consider filing bankruptcy too, which would cancel the debts and claims.

If you are truly as innocent as you seem to think you are, then I would imagine you'd have more supporters, or that there would be many others in the same situation. But if you have a lack of supporters and you are mostly alone in your plight, then you will most likely get shafted. You might want to aim for a plea bargain or truce, instead of waging war. The more war you conduct, the less mercy they will show, and the more likely they are to bury you deeper.
RonS15
(California)

02/07/2020 4:48 PM  
thank u for ur response markm19....

that was the problem from the beginning...i didnt damage...when i asked for proof of the damage i got no response...and the camera was still up lol.....i wasnt running from the fact i moved it ...i challenged the fact she said i broke it....and since me and her dont talk or nothing there was nothing....thats whyi tryied to go to the board with it....but no meeting were happening and my IDR was ignored....this has been going on since 2015....

my dues are current and yes i can and have provided proof...
i received no bill no nothing.....it wasnt until i won my board member spot she did this...

sorry if my notes are mot sufficient i was speed typing lol sorry im not good at this typing stuff...

LAST MR MARKM19 STAY OUT MY POCKETS U DONT KNOW ABOUT MY FINANCES AND I WOULD APPRECIATE IT IF U DIDNT SPEAK ON MY POCKETS....IDK U LIKE THAT AND IM NOT SPEAKING ON UR POCKETS....AND I AND MY WIFE MAKE A WAY AND DO WHAT WE HAVE TO SUSTAIN AND MAINTAIN WHAT WE HAVE U UNDERSTAND....WERE NOT RICH BUT WERE OK AND MY KIDS ARE OK SO U SHOULD BE OK.....I DO APPRECIATE ANY HELP U GIVE PERTAINING THIS STUFF IM GOING THROUGH IM NOT ASKING FOR MONEY BUT IF U ARE WELL OFF ENOUGH TO HELP ME WITH A LAWYER THE AWESOME OTHER THAN THAT....THANK U
RonS15
(California)

02/07/2020 4:52 PM  
hey walter as far as this situation im not sure if other ppl are going through this...i do have supporters...thank u for ur words
MarkM19
(Texas)

02/07/2020 5:35 PM  
Ron,
Does the All Caps mean you are yelling at me? I know it does to the rest of us but we are still trying to figure your language out.

By the way the only way we know anything about you is by the words you put on the website. You mentioned your hardships. I did not make anything up but I did make some assumptions based on those words.

I wish you LUCK
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

02/07/2020 6:18 PM  
Another nutter.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

02/08/2020 2:49 AM  
Mmm... I do not know if others are going through this... Sign of a good leader? One that others would elect to a board to represent them?

How many vote this person is not real or needs help in so many ways we are just not equipped? I just can't...

Former HOA President
RonS15
(California)

02/10/2020 11:38 PM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 02/08/2020 2:49 AM
Mmm... I do not know if others are going through this... Sign of a good leader? One that others would elect to a board to represent them?

How many vote this person is not real or needs help in so many ways we are just not equipped? I just can't...

im as real as your face on your body....please stop with the crap lady....what do u want from me???? lol seriously???!!! whats your malfunction????
RonS15
(California)

02/10/2020 11:44 PM  
Posted By MarkM19 on 02/07/2020 5:35 PM
Ron,
Does the All Caps mean you are yelling at me? I know it does to the rest of us but we are still trying to figure your language out.

By the way the only way we know anything about you is by the words you put on the website. You mentioned your hardships. I did not make anything up but I did make some assumptions based on those words.

I wish you LUCK

no mark im not yelling and my apologize...im trying to be as honest as i can...i am going through a lot....and whats weird that because i cant afford a lawyer its going to be hard....but i still have to do something my HOA is under fire....and i did all the foot work...and i got thick skin so insults these ppl throw bounce off and i laugh....but im only trying to seek outside opinions on how to over come this with out a lawyer.....im super ready
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

02/11/2020 5:23 AM  
Fake post,

Move on.
RonS15
(California)

02/11/2020 4:31 PM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 02/11/2020 5:23 AM
Fake post,

Move on.

ok peace out GeorgeS21.....im as fake as u are.....
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > how far back can a HOA fine you??

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement