Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, September 29, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: HOA INSURANCE
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
DennisG7
(Georgia)

02/05/2020 11:33 AM  
So another question regarding HOA insurance. As the new BOD was looking at our monthly bills from January I came across a couple of insurance policies. One seemed to be an Umbrella Policy another was a General Liability policy. The two were over $6000 which seemed a little high. I called the Insurance company and the agent was not available. I hope to hear from him later today or tomorrow. While on the phone with the office manager she said we actually had a third policy with them. Not sure what it's for.
Is this typical? What should I be looking for?? Appreciate any help or suggestions.
Dennis G7
SheliaH
(Indiana)

02/05/2020 12:34 PM  
When it comes to insurance (or costs of anything), "high" can be subjective. You may think it seems high, but you can't compare an association's master insurance policy to your individual homeowner's insurance. there's a lot more to cover so the costs are going to be higher, and as you might guess, some companies allow a bigger bang for the buck.

Always begin with your documents - what areas and services are association responsibility vs. the homeowners? You'll be focusing on the areas the association's responsible for, but need to keep the homeowners in mind because they should be encouraged to check their own policies against the master policy to ensure there's no duplication or overlap between the two.

Once you have a handle on what areas should be covered, Google HOA master insurance or something, and read the articles on what's typically covered (pay particular attention to directors and officers {D & O} coverage). That should give you a foundation of what's out there and you may begin to get a better handle on what your community will need.

Since you do have some coverage, but don't know exactly what it does, pull out the polices and read them. All of you. to save a little time, each one can take a section and explain it to the others. Or you can check if there's a local representative of the insurance company. If so, invite him/her to a meeting (or two or three) to review the coverage with you. No, that won't get you out of reading the policies - you may not know everything chapter and verse, but you should know what's covered and for how much, how to file a claim and perhaps, how the insurance company will handle legal action against the association for things like slip and fall.

While you have the insurance representative, discuss your current coverage and what the association can do to reduce its risk in certain areas - a risk analysis might be appropriate and worth the cost, or you may be able to do your own. The company, along with your association attorney may be able to help you draft policies and procedures

There's probably more you need to do - I often recommend taking a look at the education materials on the Community Associaiton institute website, as there are lots of low-cost brochures and books on a variety of HOA topics ranging from insurance to reserves. Most are written in plain English, and you can get lots of good information on best practices you could consider adapting to your communities
RogerJ1
(Texas)

02/05/2020 5:16 PM  
Posted By DennisG7 on 02/05/2020 11:33 AM
So another question regarding HOA insurance. As the new BOD was looking at our monthly bills from January I came across a couple of insurance policies. One seemed to be an Umbrella Policy another was a General Liability policy. The two were over $6000 which seemed a little high. I called the Insurance company and the agent was not available. I hope to hear from him later today or tomorrow. While on the phone with the office manager she said we actually had a third policy with them. Not sure what it's for.
Is this typical? What should I be looking for?? Appreciate any help or suggestions.
Dennis G7

The third policy is probably Directors and Officers Liability/Indemnity insurance.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

02/06/2020 7:58 AM  
The two were over $6000 which seemed a little high.

Well, without any competitive quotes from other insurance companies, how would you know it was high? Could be low, middle or high. You need to get quotes from other insurance companies.
BarbaraT1
(Texas)

02/06/2020 2:01 PM  
Whenever a board member or homeowner says "that seems high" I ask "what is the basis for that reasoning"?

Are you familiar with the market? Do you have subject matter knowledge? Or do you just not like the number?

The cost of your premium depends on: What is being covered, how old it is, how its valuation is determined, how high your deductible is, is there a buy down, your claims history, risk factors based on age and geographic location.

If you haven't shopped it in a few years, do so.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement