Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, January 27, 2020
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Georgia HOA State Code Violation
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
BethM8
(Georgia)

01/14/2020 1:46 PM  
Hello Members, he declarant on our community protective covenants has changed 5 items since made by the original builder who went bankrupt in 2008. The current Declarant sold some of the lots to a builder (Venture Homes) who has built 11 townhomes so date. The original incorporated HOA was administratively disssolved 12/31/2015 by the state. On September 28, 2018 the Declarant filed amendments to change the name of the Association and remove all the old by-laws and replace with new ones. The new incorporated HOA was not formed/registered with the state until 10/2/2018, which violates GA Code 44-3-227 because incorporation must be done prior to conduct business. In addition, the NEW corporation filed with the state lists employees of the latest builder as the CEO, CFO, and Secretary. Venture Homes AS the "current HOA" is trying to collect dues from the original owners that reside in the community. These homeowners are being railroaded.

Besides being in violation of the state code, isn't the current declarant responsible for establishing the HOA, not the current builder? Wouldn't the builder need to be majority owner and declarant in order to establish a new HOA and attempt to collect dues?

We have no board members, no meetings and apparently no rights. Any advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

01/14/2020 1:55 PM  
Collect lots of money from your neighbors and hire an HOA attorney to sort it all out.

Sniping at the big boy builders and declarant sounds too hard.
TimB4
(Virginia)

01/14/2020 3:40 PM  
Beth,

What is not known is if the Declarant also sold/transferred their rights (or some of their rights) to the new builder.

What is not known is if the Declarant agrees with these changes and (most likely) has the voting power to make them happen.

If desired, you can try informing the Corporation Commission to see if anything happens. In reality, the most that might happen is the current corporation incurs a monetary penalty. Since the current corporation is the HOA, the members of the HOA will likely pay any monetary penalty.

One thing to keep in mind is that corporate laws and your governing documents are civil (vs. criminal). The State will enforce the criminal violations. It's typical that the parties involved must resolve any civil violations either through compromise or the courts.

I know it's not what you wanted to hear.

Hope it helps.

Tim
CathyA3
(Ohio)

01/15/2020 6:08 AM  
Posted By BethM8 on 01/14/2020 1:46 PM
... The original incorporated HOA was administratively disssolved 12/31/2015 by the state. On September 28, 2018 the Declarant filed amendments to change the name of the Association and remove all the old by-laws and replace with new ones. ...

The first thing I'd ask is whether the corporation was dissolved, or the HOA. It's possible for the HOA to lose its corporate status but remain intact as an HOA. This means that the covenants and restrictions attached to owners' deeds remain in place, but individual owners are jointly, *personally* liable for any common areas owned by the HOA. This means is anyone were injured on the common areas and sued the association, the lawyers would come after the individual homeowners. As you can see, this is bad.

Since you said the Declarant simply amended the name and changed the bylaws, this suggests to me that the original HOA is in fact still intact.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'd say the original members of the HOA would have had to vote to dissolve the HOA. It's possible/likely that the Declarant is still a majority owner and basically can do whatever he wants, but this is the second thing I'd want to know about.

I second George's recommendation: an attorney, stat. You should find one that is well versed in HOA and real estate law, since these are specialized areas. Once I had a lawyer on board and had his blessing, I'd be inclined to notify the new "regime" that any moneys that they claim I owe are being put into escrow pending resolution of legal issues. This could have consequences, but I don't like the idea of handing over money that I may not actually owe.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

01/15/2020 2:22 PM  
Beth

While under Declarant control, bend over and grab your ankles.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Georgia HOA State Code Violation

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement