Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, January 28, 2020
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: speeding control within the community
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
BernieM
(California)

01/11/2020 2:15 PM  
Anger and divisiveness is increasing within our community due to our implementation of an increase in fines for speeding violations from $25.00 to $100.00 and up to $250.00 after 3 occurrences...plus, members are responsible to pay the fines for speeding violations of their guests and other visitors to their property. Guests are required to register at our gates at which time they are informed about the speed limits.

In Dec 2018, We positioned a portable radar speed camera trailer in various locations for recording vehicles in violation. In addition, we have installed 4 electronic speed information signs. These signs do not record violators...they are simply intended to inform.
Despite open forum meetings, intensive communication etc., installation of equipment, the violations have not decreased significantly and anger has increased. A recall of the Board of directors is now in motion.

Nevertheless, t is still imperative that we reduce these violations before somebody get seriously injured or killed. I am curious to hear if there are other better ideas and / or policies experienced by others. Statistically, the violations have occurred by residents & guests of 40% of the 1100 properties.

Thanks for listening....Bernie

JohnT38
(South Carolina)

01/11/2020 2:22 PM  
Do you know if their heartburn is primarily because you fine them for the guests and visitors? This seems over the top. Maybe if you took this part out they could stomach what you're doing?
SheliaH
(Indiana)

01/11/2020 2:35 PM  
Interesting how people feel some (most?) Rules apply to everyone else but them. I guess they feel since they live in the community, they should be able to do what they want - if a child gets hit by a car or someone loses control and tears up a yard as that SUV crashes into a living room, so what.

I said in another conversation that rule enforcement is one of the most obnoxious part of serving on a HOA board. That, and preparing a budget that will require an assessment increase because the previous board (usually more that one) found it easier to make people happy by "keeping fees low" instead of making prudent business decisions. Sometime behaving like an adult means people won't like it and cause all sorts of problems.

If you're on the board and all of you did your due diligence in establishing these policies and kept homeowners informed and enforced those rules concisely and fairly, you have nothing to apologize for. At this point all you can do is speak your truth and let the homeowners decide. If they recall you, don't rant and rave - the same thing would happen if they waited for the annual meeting and voted you out. Everything ends at some point and As long as you did your best, that's what matters.

All of that said, recalls can and do fail for a lot of reasons, so keep acting with integrity. Everyone is watching and you may have far more people on your side than you know. Good luck and God bless!
CathyA3
(Ohio)

01/11/2020 2:45 PM  
Does the HOA own the streets? Could you install speed bumps on streets with the greatest number of violations or most potential for danger (such as beside a play area)? I know, I hate 'em too, but they do slow down the speeders.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

01/11/2020 4:33 PM  
many hoas invite police to partol, even if private roads. can you do this?

fining the homeowner for a guest speeding is nuts.

i wish i was a lawyer for your hoa, it would be a cash cow of litigation.
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

01/11/2020 4:55 PM  
So Steve, you wouldn't pay the fine for the Amazon driver that is caught speeding when delivering your package?
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

01/11/2020 5:01 PM  
I WOULD pay a fine......... for an ambulance "guest" that was coming to save my life.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

01/11/2020 5:03 PM  
Posted By JohnT38 on 01/11/2020 4:55 PM
So Steve, you wouldn't pay the fine for the Amazon driver that is caught speeding when delivering your package?

The driver would likely be delivering multiple packages. The HOA would need to figure out how to split the fine, or fine each homeowner the full $200 each. LOL.
GenoS
(Florida)

01/11/2020 9:07 PM  
Posted By BernieM on 01/11/2020 2:15 PM
Nevertheless, it is still imperative that we reduce these violations before somebody get seriously injured or killed.

Is it? I think you should really ask yourself why it's imperative. We have 15 mph speed limit signs around my subdivision. There's maybe half-a-dozen people who routinely exceed that limit. I've started advocating for a 30 mph speed limit and removal of the signs. We've found here in my community that it doesn't really matter.
MarkM19
(Texas)

01/12/2020 6:31 AM  
Bernie,
I am curious about your Speed and Camera system. So it provides video or a snap shot of the speed and also the license plate information? That would require multiple High quality cameras. Who reviews that data and sends the tickets? Who handles disputes internally?

On a separate note I feel that anyone who invites someone into their community is responsible for them. It sounds like you have private roads so speed bumps may be the only way to truly slow traffic. I have had similar problems in my last community. Bumps are not popular but they Work. Maybe consider putting them at Stop signs since people are required to stop anyway.

Good Luck
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

01/12/2020 8:19 AM  
There was a case in GA where the HOA had owners in "patrol" cars stopping speeders and issuing tickets. A county Sheriff was stopped. The Sheriff arrested the owner and charged him with impersonating an officer. Sorry but I have no names.
PaulJ6
(New York)

01/12/2020 12:47 PM  
Posted By JohnC46 on 01/12/2020 8:19 AM
There was a case in GA where the HOA had owners in "patrol" cars stopping speeders and issuing tickets. A county Sheriff was stopped. The Sheriff arrested the owner and charged him with impersonating an officer. Sorry but I have no names.

Classic example of why I have such a dim view of HOAs. Nobody with half a brain would have done something like that.
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

01/12/2020 3:35 PM  
Important data is missing Bernie:

- How many $25 fines did you issue against owners for just their own behavior?

- How many $100 fines ...?

- How many $250 fines ...?

- How many $25 fines involved a guest?

- How many $100 fines ...?

- How many $250 fines ...?

- What is the total $ fined for speeding offenses?

- What is the total $ collected ...?

Sikubali jukumu. Read all posts at your own risk.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

01/12/2020 3:42 PM  
Bernie

Speed bumps are the answer.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

01/12/2020 3:44 PM  
Posted By JohnC46 on 01/12/2020 3:42 PM
Bernie

ADD ON BY OP

The low, slow rolling type. Not the harsh type. Look them up
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

01/12/2020 7:19 PM  
Posted By JohnC46 on 01/12/2020 3:44 PM
Bernie

ADD ON BY OP

The low, slow rolling type. Not the harsh type. Look them up

Typically called speed humps.

Sikubali jukumu. Read all posts at your own risk.
LetA
(Nevada)

01/14/2020 10:16 AM  
Bernie

Speed bumps, humps are Illegal and not permitted in many jurisdictions because they inhibit emergency service response times. As stated above reach out to your police to do patrols. Departments will typically get into a urine match because of "private property" IF it is effective, Keep doing what you are doing. I see no issue with fining the HO for infractions that their guest commit. HO's are responsible for their guest actions.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

01/14/2020 11:11 AM  
Hmmm ... I’ve lived in four states in the last 20 years or so ... many neighborhoods had humps and some bumps.

I think they are great problem solvers ... shifts the policing function to physics.

Low cost, too!
SheliaH
(Indiana)

01/14/2020 11:14 AM  
In my community, we adopted the city/county's traffic rules as our own, so if someone parks in a fire lane or speeds through the community and our courtesy officers (off duty cops) see it, they can (and do) issue traffic tickets. They can also have inoperable vehicles towed (the primary reason we began using them), so you may want to talk to a cop or two and consider hiring them. Ours don't provide 24-7 service, but do make periodic drive-throughs and will call you if you send an email (we have a link on our website).
TimB4
(Virginia)

01/14/2020 12:42 PM  
This has been discussed in the past.
Here are some links to web sites that may assist:

Traffic Calming to Slow Vehicle Speeds From US Dept of Transportation

TRAFFIC CALMING GUIDE FOR NEIGHBORHOOD STREETS From VA Dept of Transportation

When your city hates your traffic calming measures interesting 2018 article

Effective Application of Traffic Calming Techniques
BernieM
(California)

01/17/2020 12:05 PM  
This is helful...Thanks...Bernie
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > speeding control within the community

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement