Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, January 27, 2020
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: HOA determines Credit Score?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
CaroleS
(Florida)

01/09/2020 7:14 AM  
In Florida, can an HOA determine the credit score needed for someone to buy a piece of property?

Thank you

Carole
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

01/09/2020 7:34 AM  
Condo, house, or property (lot)?
CaroleS
(Florida)

01/09/2020 7:38 AM  
Villa
AugustinD

01/09/2020 7:48 AM  
CaroleS, this 2016 web site indicates this may be legal in Florida:
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/real-estate/fl-gary-singer-col-12262016-20161223-story.html
SheliaH
(Indiana)

01/09/2020 9:45 AM  
(Some of y'all really need to thank AugustinD for Googling this stuff for you...simply put the question or phrase in the search box and see what comes up). Anyway, the first part of the article notes your first step if you don't want to Google - read your documents. If you have a legal question, go to a private attorney - most of us aren't lawyers or live in your area (state laws DO vary).

As for this article, I don't know why a HOA would want to scrutinize credit scores, considering the expensive pitfalls if it's not done correctly. I suspect some do this to ensure the potential resident/HOA member will have the resources to pay assessments in full and on time, as well as keep up the house according to the community standards. I say stay in your lane and let the bank or mortgage company worry about credit scores if someone's taking out a mortgage to buy the property. You'll find out soon enough if the homeowner can meet the HOA obligations and deal with that at the appropritate time.
AugustinD

01/09/2020 9:57 AM  
Posted By SheliaH on 01/09/2020 9:45 AM
(Some of y'all really need to thank AugustinD for Googling this stuff for you...simply put the question or phrase in the search box and see what comes up).
Shelia, I appreciate your encouraging this. Better to teach a person to fish than to give the person a fish and so on. Sometimes I figure that there is a bit of a literacy challenge on forums like this. Only about one third of this country's citizens over age 26 have a college degree. I think many folks for whom English is a second language post here as well. Identifying key words is maybe not easy. Regardless, let's encourage folks to get on the net and do their own research, just as your friendly nudge does.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

01/09/2020 10:21 AM  
I’m not sure what a Villa is ... condo with common components? Single family? Shared wall duplex or triplex, etc?
CaroleS
(Florida)

01/09/2020 10:56 AM  
Shared wall one story
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

01/09/2020 2:56 PM  
Posted By CaroleS on 01/09/2020 10:56 AM
Shared wall one story

What I call duplexes, tri-plexes, quad-plexes, etc. If more than one story individual units then I call them townhouses. Villas (a marketing word) sounds better than duplexes, tri-plexes etc.

My HOA originally built one story duplexes and called them them Garden Homes. The 2nd phase was single family homes, one and two story. Some of us ask do you have a single or a duplex? Some get upset and refuse to call their home a duplex. They insist on calling it a Garden Home......LOL
GenoS
(Florida)

01/09/2020 3:10 PM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 01/09/2020 10:21 AM
I’m not sure what a Villa is ... condo with common components? Single family? Shared wall duplex or triplex, etc?

Villa: a/k/a a Duplex.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

01/09/2020 3:20 PM  
Others may be able to help, but is this duplex villa governed as a condo or single family HOA?
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > HOA determines Credit Score?

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement